How do i open apps on Tab 3?

jds1990

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi there, this is the first time im using android and im a bit stuck. Yesterday i purchased the tab 3 8" but i have one problem.. when i download apps i cant open them anywhere. When i go on my play store it says they are all installed but i doesnt give me the option to open them and when i click on the apps button on the home screen there not there. What am i doing wrong?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't have a Samsung device, but I think there is an option to hide apps or show all apps in the App Manager, so check for that setting.

Also, what apps have you tried to install? If they're widgets only, you'll just see them in the Widgets list, not the Apps list.

jds1990

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi there ive dowloaded 14 apps so far, most being games the others being facebook, netflix etc. Ive just been in the app manager and cant seem to find that option. Just starting to get frustrating been trying for 3 hours now to work out why i cant view these apps :-!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You installed these apps directly from Google Play, correct? They weren't installed manually by downloading an .apk file from somewhere?

On the Apps screen, can you swipe to the left or right to bring up more screens of apps?

jds1990

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes downloaded them from the play store. And yes i can swipe left and right but there is only the apps that come with the device none that i have downloaded, very strange

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If no one else with a Tab 3 can help you with this, then try wiping the cache partition. You won't lose any personal data or settings. There might be some leftover piece of bad data in the system cache that's messing things up. Follow these instructions, except make sure you select "wipe cache partition," NOT "wipe data/factory reset."

Perform a hardware factory reset - Samsung Galaxy Tab® 3

jds1990

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Hmm ill leave it till the morning see if anyone else can give me some help. Have no idea with these tablets so dont want to make anything worse if i dont need to, might just be something obvious im missing but as i said been searching my tab for 3 hours and cant work out what it is!

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes downloaded them from the play store. And yes i can swipe left and right but there is only the apps that come with the device none that i have downloaded, very strange

The apps you have downloaded are in the app drawer - you have to place icons on the home screens yourself. To view these apps look for a square symbol made up of round dots, should be in the top right hand corner I think. Give that a tap and you should arrive at a slightly smaller screen with apps. Swipe left or right to the apps you want.
If you get to this stage, let us know & we'll explain how to put them on the home screen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

jds1990

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
The apps you have downloaded are in the app drawer - you have to place icons on the home screens yourself. To view these apps look for a square symbol made up of round dots, should be in the top right hand corner I think. Give that a tap and you should arrive at a slightly smaller screen with apps. Swipe left or right to the apps you want.
If you get to this stage, let us know & we'll explain how to put them on the home screen.

Square symbol made up of round dots? Do you mean the apps button which is at bottom right? Because thats a round button made up of 16 little squares, 4 by 4 i click that it takes me to my apps and widgets but there is no apps which i have downloaded there.

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that's the one - I have a galaxy Note & it's on the top right you see. Ok , so no downloaded apps on any screen in the app drawer? Do they show in settings > application manager > downloaded? Look for that whilst I have a dig around on my machine to see if something obvious is missing.

jds1990

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that's the one - I have a galaxy Note & it's on the top right you see. Ok , so no downloaded apps on any screen in the app drawer? Do they show in settings > application manager > downloaded? Look for that whilst I have a dig around on my machine to see if something obvious is missing.

Yep they are there when i go to settings, app manager and downloads.

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Yep they are there when i go to settings, app manager and downloads.
Good, so they are downloaded and on your device. Now, return to Home screen, or any one to the left or right of it. Find an empty space on the screen and long press with your finger. A pop-up will appear called Home Screen with some selections - hit apps & widgets. Tell me what happens next.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

jds1990

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
It tells me to tap and hold an item to move it to home screen, but once again there are no apps which i have downloaded available to move there.

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok, when you are in that screen, make sure you are on apps, not widgets (the highlighted tab). If this isn't the problem, go back to the Play Store & look up one of the apps you've installed - if it's installed correctly there's a button which says OPEN. Try opening, if the option to open isn't there then it's not installed properly.
You might also just try rebooting the tablet, off then on again. Let me know how this goes.

jds1990

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Dont believe this, ive just rebooted it and there all there. Annoying that it was something so simple, thank you both for your help hopefully can have no problems now :)

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Dont believe this, ive just rebooted it and there all there. Annoying that it was something so simple, thank you both for your help hopefully can have no problems now :)

That's great news, at least you know your way around the app drawer now and you can place the icons on the home screen - enjoy!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fox2024