Galaxy Tab 3: Goes into Sleep Mode for no apparent reason, then screen is frozen.

RandellJW

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I've got a GT3 - 8" and it gives me trouble sometimes. I can use it for an extended period most of the time but if I'm scrolling through or editing a spreadsheet - using either Polaris Office or Quick Office - I can use it for 5-10 minutes before it goes into sleep mode. I can be in the middle of typing, scrolling, or just looking at the screen and it goes blank. Hitting the Home key will bring the screen back up but the screen is unresponsive to touch. If I leave it sit for a minute or two, the screen will respond again. When it's like this, the icons for Bluetooth and battery level still show in the statusbar at the top but the time display is absent. Once the time is again shown, I can touch the screen and it will work again.

I've got the Lock Screen set to None. When it was set to Swipe and this would happen, I could swipe and swipe but the screen didn't respond until it had been left alone for a minute or two. Rebooting doesn't help. Anybody have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Goes into Sleep Mode for no apparent reason, then screen is frozen.

I've got a GT3 - 8" and it gives me trouble sometimes. I can use it for an extended period most of the time but if I'm scrolling through or editing a spreadsheet - using either Polaris Office or Quick Office - I can use it for 5-10 minutes before it goes into sleep mode. I can be in the middle of typing, scrolling, or just looking at the screen and it goes blank. Hitting the Home key will bring the screen back up but the screen is unresponsive to touch. If I leave it sit for a minute or two, the screen will respond again. When it's like this, the icons for Bluetooth and battery level still show in the statusbar at the top but the time display is absent. Once the time is again shown, I can touch the screen and it will work again.

I've got the Lock Screen set to None. When it was set to Swipe and this would happen, I could swipe and swipe but the screen didn't respond until it had been left alone for a minute or two. Rebooting doesn't help. Anybody have any ideas?

I would try clearing cache in recovery. I think this method will work: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site

It can be related to an App you've installed.
I know when I had Unlock With WiFi installed, my Tab 3 8.0 would do this. Drove me crazy until I figured it out.
Never did find out if it was just the one App or a combination of Apps that caused it, but removing the Unlock With WiFi stopped the problem for me.

Just a thought.

RandellJW

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

Thanks Michael, I'll look into that. I tried the cache clearing thing and it seemed to fix it but then the problem popped up again. These intermittent problems are always such a hassle. Maybe I will uninstall several programs and if that fixes it, reinstall them one at a time with a lengthy interval in between to determine which one is causing the problem.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site

I know it's time consuming, and the irritating part is you really don't know if it is an app, or something else.

Good Luck

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

9 times out of 10 when weird stuff like happens it is a 3rd party app causing it.

look for apps that ask for screen control in their permissions.

RandellJW

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

I figured out what the problem is. The tablet is just defective. After doing a factory reset and several hours of experiments to find the bad app, I did another factory reset. While going through the initial setup stuff where you enter the login information for Samsung and Google, it went to sleep right while I was typing. Clearly no third party app and no setting is at fault. This was a lucky break because if it had waited until I had installed even one app, I would have assumed that app was bad and continued chasing my tail. I've got a return authorization and am sending it in for repair or replacement. Thank you for your suggestions.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo