Setting for downloads?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It will depend solely on the app you're using to download them. If you're using a browser, however, I think most don't let you specify a download folder and maybe some will offer SD Card as the target, but no more than that.

carilchasens

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
SpookDroid .. I have been using Chrome, and the Internet app that came with my Samsung Tab A. I specifically want to be able to download books.. but .ascm files, unlike other file types which download normally, I simply have not suceeded in finding on my device after I download. Is there an app you would recommend, to download to a specific folder?

BerryClever

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
SpookDroid .. I have been using Chrome, and the Internet app that came with my Samsung Tab A. I specifically want to be able to download books.. but .ascm files, unlike other file types which download normally, I simply have not suceeded in finding on my device after I download. Is there an app you would recommend, to download to a specific folder?
Maybe try a file explorer. There are lots of good ones in the Playstore and you can search ".ascm" then cut and paste it to any folder. Most file explorers also lets you bookmark the original folder and the folder you want the files in (so you don't have to search a second plus time). It is a few steps more than the ideal, but worth a shot until a better solution is found in a browser.

carilchasens

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks.. I do have an app that came on my tablet, "my files" - and a search with that for .ascm yielded nothing. (Maybe the download appeared to proceed, but nothing was actually downloaded??????) Do you have any suggestions for app to download, and what I should expect of it, or look for when I am researching the app/

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Also some apps will create a hidden folder for their files. You will never find them. NOOK is a good example of that. Nook will download a file and hide it. Only Nook can find it for display only.

.ascm files are Adobe Ebook files and are DRM protected. You're never going to find them. They don't want you to copy and distribute those files. You will need the adobe Ebook reader to display them for reading.

BerryClever

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
I don't have those types of files to test with and not not sure where I can download a free one to test anything out. I use the paid version of Solid Explorer and that has an option to see hidden folders and do bookmarks. Es File Explorer is very powerful with tons of options and has the option of seeing hidden files and folders. File Commander is another big name that probably has the same features as ES File Explorer.

I'd try the free version of ES File Explorer and open the side drawer, select ''Show hidden files" (second from bottom), then search (magnifier button is on the bottom of the main screen).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Just be careful with ES File Explorer as they (last time I heard because that's when it made it off my devices) included bloatware and lockscreen ads without warning.

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I have tried free version of ES File Explorer to find nook files. It didn't find them. For some reason I have not experienced the bloatware and lockscreen ads with free version of ES File Explorer (yet).

carilchasens

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
According to this from Adobe, if the download does not automatically open in ADE, I SHOULD be able to find the file and open it in ADE:
https://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/download-ebooks-digital-editions.html
I can't find the file, even using "show hidden files" and it doesn't open in ADE or show up in ADE's list of books. My understanding was that the security Adobe has for the book is not that the .ascm is unfindable but rather that one is supposed to need ADE to open it.

BerryClever

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
I looked for acsm file e-book and couldn't find any. I then stumbled across a webpage about it and according to them the file is not the e-book but rather a separate file.

"The majority of the time, you don’t even see the .acsm file when you download an Adobe ebook. Usually the only time you see it is if you haven’t properly set up Adobe Digital Editions, or you don’t even have it installed. "
"If you do have Adobe Digital Editions installed and authorized correctly, then you won’t even see the .acsm file at all. It will do its job in the background of your ebook download. The purpose of this file is to communicate with Adobe’s content server and register the ebook to the Adobe ID that you have used to authorize ADE."
"Let me make that clear: the .acsm file is NOT supposed to be the ebook. It is just a little file that manages the download of the ebook."
"ACSM files are not ebooks.
ACSM files manage the download of Adobe DRM-protected ebooks.
Always follow the posted download and installation instructions for any software you purchase.
ACSM files must be opened with Adobe Digital Editions."

Source: https://ebookreadersoftware.wordpre...iles-what-they-are-and-how-to-work-with-them/

I also found:
"If Adobe Digital Editions does not download and open the file automatically, locate the .acsm file for your book on your hard disk. To locate the .ascm file for your eBook, do one of the following:

Check the location where your browser automatically saves downloaded files:

-Internet Explorer (WIndows): C:\...[user name]\My Documents\Downloads
-Firefox: Choose Firefox > Preferences (Mac OS) or Tools > Options (Windows). In the General tab, look in the Downloads area. Check the setting Save Files To to see the download location.
-Safari (Mac OS): Choose Safari > Preferences. In the General tab, check the setting Save Downloaded Files To.
-Google Chrome: Choose Customize and Control Google Chrome>Options. In the Under the Hood tab, look under the Downloads heading. Check the Download location setting.

Search your hard disk for the .ascm (eBook) file. For assistance with searching your hard disk, see the Help files for your operating system.''

Source: https://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/download-ebooks-digital-editions.html

It doesn't help for Android but shows it is possible to find, so it is probably a hidden file on Android.

Finally found:
"-Download the .acsm file for the book from your library or book store — this is not the book, but rather the key you need to download the full book.
-Copy the .acsm file to your SD card.
-Use a file manager such as ASTRO to locate the .acsm file on your SD card.
-Tap the file, and if you’ve already entered your Adobe credentials in Aldiko 2.0, the book should automatically be downloaded and added to your book shelf."

Source: http://mobiputing.com/2011/01/aldiko-ebook-app-for-android-gets-a-major-overhaul/

Again not helpful for download to Android, but mentions Astro File Manager to find the file.

To summarize, see Spook's post waaaaay up front. :-[.

Last edited:

carilchasens

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all the help, folks. Still confused. I have been able to download URLLink.acsm files from Adobe Samples ok, but when I try from OpenLibrary I still can't find the file. Consulting with the folks at OpenLibrary...