Simpleton questions

Ludditejones

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I just got a TabPro 8.4. I usually avoid making these sorts of technology purchases because I just end up frustrated. I have a couple of questions:

I keep getting a notification for a gmail sign in request. How do I turn this off. I don't use my gmail account and don't want it to sync my mail automatically.

I noticed that it keeps automatically downloading updates for apps. How do I turn this off? It is updating apps that I don't use and never will. I don't mind an alert telling me updates are available like on my phone but I would like to choose which ones to update manually. I can't seem to find anything in the settings. I have a very limited amount off bandwidth each month and don't want to waste it with automatic updates.

Thanks

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just got a TabPro 8.4. I usually avoid making these sorts of technology purchases because I just end up frustrated. I have a couple of questions:

I keep getting a notification for a gmail sign in request. How do I turn this off. I don't use my gmail account and don't want it to sync my mail automatically.

I noticed that it keeps automatically downloading updates for apps. How do I turn this off? It is updating apps that I don't use and never will. I don't mind an alert telling me updates are available like on my phone but I would like to choose which ones to update manually. I can't seem to find anything in the settings. I have a very limited amount off bandwidth each month and don't want to waste it with automatic updates.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums.
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

As for Gmail, I would sign in, but you can go to Settings>Accounts>Click on the sync button and that should bring up all the sync options you have. You can then uncheck Gmail.

Your apps...First let's show you how to disable them. Look this over: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-tos/325138-guide-how-disable-apps.html
Use those steps to uninstall updates and then disable apps you won't use.

As for updating the apps you do use, go to Play, click menu (Probably the 3 dot menu at the upper right) >Settings >there should be an option for auto-update apps.

Ludditejones

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. That was very helpful. This thing has a completely different menu layout than any android device I have ever owned. I was able to go in and turn off all google applications from syncing. I disabled the gmail app. And I turned off automatic app updates.

Thanks again.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. That was very helpful. This thing has a completely different menu layout than any android device I have ever owned. I was able to go in and turn off all google applications from syncing. I disabled the gmail app. And I turned off automatic app updates.

Thanks again.

Glad it helped. See you around the forums.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38