How do I tranfer photos from my digital camera to my Samsung Galaxy Tab S?

jaykaydee

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
How do I tranfer photos from my digital camera to my Samsung Galaxy Tab S

I have a Cannon digital camera. It does NOT have Bluetooth capability. It has a normal SD (not micro) memory card, and a mini USB plug for A/V Out.

I want to take my Galaxy Tab S tablet and my camera with me on a long vacation. I want to be able to transfer photos from my Canon digital camera to my Tab S so that I can view them on a larger screen and to send them via email to friends.

How do I do this. Do I need a special USB connection?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: How do I tranfer photos from my digital camera to my Samsung Galaxy Tab S

There are a few ways to do this.
1) Get a computer with an SD Card reader and a micro-SD adapter and copy the files to and from each card using the PC. But, then again, if you do this, there's no point in using the tablet for a 'larger screen'.
2) Get a microSD-to-SD card adapter, use that emulated SD Card in your camera, and then just take the microSD card into your tablet for picture viewing.
3) IF your camera supports data output as USB Storage via the USB port, you could get an OTG USB adapter, which is basically a female USB connector to male microUSB converter. Your tablet can use this to connect external devices like keyboards and USB Sticks, but not all devices are supported, so you might want to try it out before you take off on your trip. These cables are not expensive and are easily found online.

Options 2 and 3 are the best way to go, but 2 is the easiest, most reliable way to avoid compatibility issues.

jaykaydee

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

Thanks. I agree about trying to do it without compatibility issues. While I have the micro card in my tablet will I be able to 1) send selected photos by email and 2) save selected photos to my internal tablet memory.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Yup, you'll be able to do that as long as the camera doesn't use a 'weird' card format (remember, your tablet can only read ExFAT or FAT32 formatted cards) or a weird file format. Most modern cameras, however, don't have this issue anymore. Basically test the microSD card in your tablet first, and if you can read/write something to it, you're good. If when you insert the card to your camera it doesn't ask you to reformat, you're good to go.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Mod note: Moved thread to Tab S forums.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I purchased a usb-to-go adapter. When I plugged it into my tab s 10.5 and my canon s95 the tab opened apps to copy photos from the camera. The adapter was less than 10 dollars I think.

Also, as sugested, an adapter to make the micro SD card fit in the camera slot.

There are also now WiFi cards for cameras which broadcast their own WiFi which the tab can connect to. Can be slow.

Posted via the Android Central App

jaykaydee

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

Sorry to be such a dummy but I am quite "elderly". How do I see what files are on my SD card. Right now I see lots of folders that mean nothing to me - but how do I see the actual files. For example if I have photos on the micro SD card how can I pick and chose them?

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Sorry to be such a dummy but I am quite "elderly". How do I see what files are on my SD card. Right now I see lots of folders that mean nothing to me - but how do I see the actual files. For example if I have photos on the micro SD card how can I pick and chose them?

It depends on the Camera Brand and where they might store the photos. Generally, on my Canon, they was in the DCIM folder. And then they are in folders with the numeric date as their name. Within those are the individual jpg images. (by the way, are you collecting Social Security like I am - OLDSTER!!!!)

If you need more info, just ask.

Yk Chin

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

I'm also using a Canon camera (PowerShot G16) & connect to my Tab S 8.4 for photo viewing & sharing (email, messenger, etc). As mentioned by other members, the easiest & fastest way is to use a USB adaptor such as these which cost less than $2:
41L5GxwOCfL.jpg41sFZP7UnTL__SX425_.jpg

jaykaydee

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

Thanks. I bought a USB OTG (on the go) cable USB B Micro male to USB A female cable. Works like a charm!! Thanks to Spook Droid, Yk Chin and you for your help. (By the way I started collecting Social Security 14 years ago :)

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Thanks. I bought a USB OTG (on the go) cable USB B Micro male to USB A female cable. Works like a charm!! Thanks to Spook Droid, Yk Chin and you for your help. (By the way I started collecting Social Security 14 years ago :)

Well, then, you do have a few years on me. I may have the advantage. Dad was a professional photographer but solely film and I was a computer programmer in a former life. But enjoy your new found power to explore your photos on the go. I, too , looked for that for a while now but Blackberrys lack the apps and on-the-go ability.

Posted via the Android Central App

Yk Chin

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

Thanks. I bought a USB OTG (on the go) cable USB B Micro male to USB A female cable. Works like a charm!! Thanks to Spook Droid, Yk Chin and you for your help.

Glad to hear you've already bought the USB adaptor & everything is going smoothly. Now the experience of viewing & sharing photos through your gorgeous Galaxy Tab is getting better! :)

Omer San Gabriel

May 10, 2013
Visit site

I have a Cannon digital camera. It does NOT have Bluetooth capability. It has a normal SD (not micro) memory card, and a mini USB plug for A/V Out.

I want to take my Galaxy Tab S tablet and my camera with me on a long vacation. I want to be able to transfer photos from my Canon digital camera to my Tab S so that I can view them on a larger screen and to send them via email to friends.

How do I do this. Do I need a special USB connection?

What i do is i get the USB cable of my camera plug it to the camera then plug the other to the OTG cable then plug that OTG cable to the Tablet. :D Works well.

Richard Casault

May 25, 2015
Visit site
For my Canon S95, I have the cable to connect with my Samsung tablet, but it appears I need software, either app for the tablet or something for the camera. Help? Thanks

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For my Canon S95, I have the cable to connect with my Samsung tablet, but it appears I need software, either app for the tablet or something for the camera. Help? Thanks

Okay, you "forced" me to see what's what! :D

First I had to find my darn usb-otg cable.

Okay, I plugged in my Canon S95 to the Tab. I pressed the button on the camera back to REVIEW images and got a prompt on the Tab which is shown in the attached screen shot. I used the Gallery and selected it again when prompted. (there was also a choice of Google+ but when I tried that later it gave me some error message!)

Then the Canon showed up as a separate Album right at the top Left corner with the name Canon Inc Canon...... etc. It may sort differently on your Tab. I opened that album. I Pressed and HELD on an image from that album and was able to Select it. You can individually Select more photos (it does not show the video I took as part of this experiment!) or you can tap the "Selected" box (upper left) and get a SelectAll.

Then I tapped the 3 vertical dots menu (upper right). And selected IMPORT. The images were IMPORTED. They could then be found in the Gallery under the Album IMPORT. And looking at More Details, it seems to be located

Path: /storage/emulated/0/Imported/ folder (I believe that is a ZERO) Using the native file manager, yup, they are now directly in Device Storage, Imported.

Now where do I find that video???? (g)

IMG_20150525_145801.jpg

Richard Casault

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the extra effort. I still don't get the pix listed in my files. Did you need to update the S95 firmware? What version of Gallery are you using? A possibly significant difference is that I'm using the Tab 4 tablet, not the phone.

I would just go to an internet cafe and upload from the card, but internet cafes seem to be going the way of the dodo.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Gallery Version is 4.4.2-t800xxu1anj6

I don't recall updating the camera. How do you determine its firmware - looked quickly through the Menus and did not see anything although I'm fairly certain I've seen it.

Schmidt05

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site

OMG. That looks like what I need. I have a Canon Power Shot and a little SX 700 HS and just got an RCA 7" tablet with a keyboard. I just retired about 3 years ago and we have been doing some great vacations and road trips. I would like to load the camera pictures to the tablet; and, then copy back the photos in the 'Gallery' to a flash drive. I'm thinking this would work both ways, right? I just don't want to lose those photos cause they will be in places I will never go again.
This is a great site and I will bookmark it somewhere safe???

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

OMG. That looks like what I need. I have a Canon Power Shot and a little SX 700 HS and just got an RCA 7" tablet with a keyboard. I just retired about 3 years ago and we have been doing some great vacations and road trips. I would like to load the camera pictures to the tablet; and, then copy back the photos in the 'Gallery' to a flash drive. I'm thinking this would work both ways, right? I just don't want to lose those photos cause they will be in places I will never go again.
This is a great site and I will bookmark it somewhere safe???

I just returned from three weeks in France, Paris and the Alps. At least, with my Samsung Tab S I was able to do just that. Most nights I would hook up the usb-to-go cable to my Tablet and the other end to my Canon G7X (still uses the older usb plug so I had the proper cable for that size). When I turned on the review button, the Tab would offer to open the Gallery app. It would take a few seconds or more but then the Canon would show up as another Album. I could then Select a photo and then Select ALL. I then could IMPORT (not move or copy but IMPORT) them to the tab. They wound up in an IMPORT folder. I then detached the camera and attached a thumb drive. I copied the photos to it. Then I also MOVED all of those photos to a FRANCE folder on my Tab's sd card. I MOVED them so that the import folder was now clean for the next batch. That way I had 3 copies. Original on camera (all 3 weeks) and on the thumb drive and on the sd card.

I will say we tried doing this between my friends' camera and their Amazon Fire and it did not work. The I don't know if the Fire does not support usb-to-go or what. So we copied their photos to my Tab.

msuzim

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site

i should have read this forum before i tried moving photos from my camera to my Galaxy Tab 4. I didn't have a cable with me so i pulled the micro SD card out of the adapter in the camera and inserted in the SD slot of the tablet. i didn't realize there might be different formats. I could see some photos on the card from a previous device i used it in, but no photos from my camera. then when i put it back in my camera, i got the question of whether i wanted to reformat it (i said no) but now there are no pictures visible when i view on the camera. I am afraid i just lost all my pictures from my weeklong trip to Ireland! From Spook Droid's post #4 above, i am guessing my older Nikon Coolpix has a "weird" format and i messed up by inserting card directly in the tablet. Any thoughts?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38