AMOLED (or not)

DaveLeeNC

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
I have an aging Tab S2 (8 inch) that is developing some age related problems (just like me - DOB 1949). My primary use is a media viewer (Netflix, Youtube, etc) while I ride my exercise bike in cold weather. Then there is a lot of supplemental stuff like email, music playback, video recorder, etc. But media playback is primary.

I was looking at either the S6 Lite or S7 and the 10.5/11 inch screens had appeal as my eyes are not what they used to be and things that I could easily see while pedaling a few years back are now tough. But I have been using an AMOLED screen for years now and what I see is a primary consideration in this choice. This is unknowable based on the data I have provided, but am I going to be disappointed in the lack of an AMOLED screen? I live in a small place and don't have access to a device to look at.

Thanks.

dave

ps. I have an external Dragonfly USB-C DAC/headphone amp so the lack of a 3.5mm connector is only a minor issue for me.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
From what I'm finding the S6 Lite is a TFT display, which is pretty old technology. Viewing angles and color reproduction are not going to be that good compared to other display technologies.

The S7 is an IPS display, which produces accurate colors and has a wide viewing angle. You won't get the same "inky" blacks as with AMOLED, but it's not that big of a deal if using it with moderate ambient light (the brighter ambient light essentially tricks your brain into seeing blacks being darker). If using it in dim lighting, you may see some light bleed in black/dark scenes. This is my display of choice, even over AMOLED, due to color rendering and no risk of screen burn in.

DaveLeeNC

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if you are still looking to upgrade but I had Tab S2 for years and upgraded to Tab S6. Simply love it. You can get a nice price on mint ones from Swappa.com

Excellent excellent tablet.

DaveLeeNC

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
FWIW, I ended up ordering an S7. I have had it for 2 days now and am pleased. If this screen is in some way inferior to the AMOLED screen on my 8 inch S2, it is certainly not obvious. The 120 hz (vs 60 on the S2) display is obvious if you look for it when quickly scanning up/down a long document , but I can't say that it is important to me. But you certainly can see that difference.

I am fine with my choice, but going for a really good deal on an S6 would probably have been cheaper and also a good choice here.

dave

Last edited:

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
FWIW, I ended up ordering an S7. I have had it for 2 days now and am pleased. If this screen is in some way inferior to the AMOLED screen on my 8 inch S2, it is certainly not obvious. The 120 hz (vs 60 on the S2) display is obvious if you look for it when quickly scanning up/down a long document , but I can't say that it is important to me. But you certainly can see that difference.

I am fine with my choice, but going for a really good deal on an S6 would probably have been cheaper and also a good choice here.

dave
Congrats on your new toy. I am sure it is a fine tablet. Love my S6. These tablets are top notch.