Samsung Support Lied About Security Update Frequency

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Before purchasing this tablet I called their support. They assured me that the Galaxy Tab S8 would be updated monthly, rather than quarterly like most of their tablets.

I received the device, seems nice but no updates for it so far. Contacted support again, and this time they told me it will be "as needed" and there is no set schedule. I spoke to two different agents and the only thing they could confirm is that it will not be updated monthly. They also told me this is not written down anywhere that a customer can see it. There is a security page but the tablets are not listed there. https://security.samsungmobile.com/workScope.smsb

Samsung lied to me and I fell for it.

So just a heads up to anyone else. If you speak to sales or support and they tell you it'll get monthly updates, they're lying to you. I have no idea why they are. It doesn't benefit anyone. I don't know of any Android tablets that get monthly updates.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ugh, that's annoying.:-\ I notice on that site you linked that no tablets are on the monthly schedule, so even though the Tab S8 isn't listed yet, I guess it would make sense that it would join the others in the quarterly schedule.

I think it's also notable that the wording for security updates for select models is up to 5 years (which of course could mean less than 5 years). I thought at first that they had used the "up to" modifier for version upgrades as well, but at least it says "minimum of" 4 years there.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's why I reached out to their support before placing my preorder, just to make sure the new series would have monthly updates. They lied and said they did. Now I'm stuck with restocking fees. Going to wait a week to see if that website updates to confirm it.

Also, with the way they phrase the timing of the 5 years of updates, those last years could be twice or even once a year.

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
You would figure that a premium tablet would get the same treatment as the flagship phones as far as updates go.

lateck2

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
For us ordinary people, the tablet has only been out a couple of weeks, at best.
Samsung has kept their tablets up to date in my view. I still have my S6 and no, it's not monthly up dates but I have never worried.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
At least they sent you the damn thing, they lied to me about the delivery date.

Apart from that, it appears that there's a disturbing trend of people receiving empty boxes (and possibly FedEx workers or other people on the delivery chain who are helping themselves to a new phone).

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
That's intresting as I have yet to get an update for my S8 Ultra. Not worried as someone else has stated I've had several of the S Tabs with no major issues on my device plus I usually purchase the cellular model which means I always get my updates late lol. I'm use to it. Enjoy my tab nonetheless.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Confirmed that it is quarterly updates, the security page was finally updated today.

For some people quarterly might be fine. I think Samsung tablets have always been quarterly. For me it is not. My issue isn't that the patches are quarterly, it's that I called Samsung support and they lied to me and said it was monthly to get me to buy the device. All I ask for is honesty.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Confirmed that it is quarterly updates, the security page was finally updated today.

For some people quarterly might be fine. I think Samsung tablets have always been quarterly. For me it is not. My issue isn't that the patches are quarterly, it's that I called Samsung support and they lied to me and said it was monthly to get me to buy the device. All I ask for is honesty.

I'm definitely not excusing them giving you bad information, but expecting first line customer support to be able to answer a simple question like this is pretty unrealistic lol.

frifred

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Received my Tab S8 on Feb 25th and have had two full updates since, the latest being today which included One UI 4.1 - So, no complaints from me, so far!

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm definitely not excusing them giving you bad information, but expecting first line customer support to be able to answer a simple question like this is pretty unrealistic lol.

I think asking any line of Samsung support a simple question and expecting a real answer is unrealistic... it seems like everyone below corporate level has a gag order on them lol.

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
All of Samsung's tablets are quarterly, including the S8. It's likely the more frequent udates for the S8 are to fix the retail release bugs and once Samsung has taken care of the majority of priority 1 issues, it'll get on the quarterly routine.

But saying that, I never understood why the tablets were on a different release cycle....someone at Samsung must think that security isn't as important for tablets but that flies in the face of marketing the tablet for professional use.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
All of Samsung's tablets are quarterly, including the S8. It's likely the more frequent udates for the S8 are to fix the retail release bugs and once Samsung has taken care of the majority of priority 1 issues, it'll get on the quarterly routine.

But saying that, I never understood why the tablets were on a different release cycle....someone at Samsung must think that security isn't as important for tablets but that flies in the face of marketing the tablet for professional use.
Wow surprised to hear the newer tablets are still quarterly

lateck2

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
I know this is an old thread, almost a year old.
I am wondering if the OP, @Cherenkov, is still concerned about the updates to our tablets? I have seen at least quarterly updates and am very happy about how Samsung is handling this. How do others feel?
Any thoughts?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty