New Tab purchase, with major concerns

nolegirl

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello all. I am new here and have been browsing the forums for a day, but cannot seem to find a direct answer. Please for give me if I overlooked the answer, or if this is a double post.

I just ordered a Galaxy Tab (Sprint version) it was the only model available. I was told when I ordered that it would require NO CONTRACT, such as the one that is offered with Sprint. I am now reading on several internet sites that while it is possible to by-pass the 3G activation message on the other models (T-Mobile, and Verizon), this is not possible with the Sprint model (without rooting), and it cannot be used with Wifi only.
Can anyone confirm this? I need to know if I can connect it to my wireless service, or other hotspots and still use the tablet to it's full capability (Market, firmware updates, etc). I need to know if I can use it ready to go out of the box. I have also read that you can pay $20 and use the 3G for a month (supposedly just to activate) then cancel without penalty. If that is the case, that's fine, but otherwise, I do NOT want to get into a contract with anyone. Can someone with experience please explain to me what is required to get this tablet working out of the box? I want to know so I can send right back without even opening it if it's going to be a hassle. Do I have to sign a contract or not? Can it be used as a wifi only tablet, or no? Again, I'm sorry if this is a double post. Thanks in advance.

jkurl15

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
If you look in this forum it will give you the way to bypass sprint activation. I use mine on wifi only. Now I did get mine on eBay and it had been used on sprint so I didn't have to worry about the acitivation. I have used it w/ the market just fine and have been able to use free apps and paid apps. As for the firmware updates I can't answer that one as I have not had a chance to update it yet. I will check and see what firmware I have and check out sprint and see what the latest is. I am waiting for 2.3 to role out and see if android updates. I hope this helps.

Does some else have any experience w/ being able to do firmware updates and not being on sprints 3G network.

Andwoid

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
FYI...Be careful about paying just for one month. I'm not sure about Sprint, but Verizon will charge you an "activation" fee of $35. If you then cancel after one month, it's no charge, but later, when you may want to get a data plan for just one month, they'll charge you another $35 fee (on top of the data plan cost).

abredt

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon salesperson did not tell me about the activation fee, so when I called to complain they reversed it.

cb

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I bought mine from Bestbuy straight out/no monthly fee. The Sprint version does need to be rooted to bypass the activation screen. Its not that hard... Z4root and Titanium back up and just freeze the Sprint system file for activation. I forget the name of it off hand. You can keep ignoring it but everytime you start the thing up its a waist of time to cancel it out. Wifi does work..I use my homes wifi connection, tether it to my DroidX and any other wifi spot. I'm actually connected to the hotel I'm at right now. The market and system updates work also. Wifi will work if its rooted or not. You will just have to deal with the activation screen starting up everytime you power the Tab on.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
on activation screen press:

volume up once
volume down twice
volume up three times
volume down four times

voila!

This works for Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile Galaxy tabs. For Sprint you need to delete/freeze the sprint activation system file from Titanium or Root Explorer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member