T-Mobile or AT&T GTab??

vjr021

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Here is my dilemma... I want OUT of my iOS world... My thoughts are to go with a NORMAL phone (thinking Nokia E52) and a Gtab...

I am currently on AT&T with a F&F plan... and I have a Sprint Data (mifi) card I use for WiFi when I am not at home.

I know the differences between the CDMA tabs, those won't work, as I travel overseas quite a bit.

My thoughts are to get a GSM tab.

T-Mobile will let me defer payment... I tried a t-mobile tab, but was not pleased with the service signal strength (sprint was better if you could believe that).

AT&T wants the whole nut up front, but I hear there is less bloat with TMo, and more features...

Anyone have any thoughts on the two?

thanks!

hkklife

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
AT&T does NOT have mobile hotspot with the stock ROM. They also block sideloading of apps (ie non-market app installs including the Amazon App store). Again, this can be fixed by a ROM change. They are supposedly working on a fix for it but I wouldn't count on anything when Samsung are involved.

That said, the AT&T version has almost zero bloatware and is the only US version that can be hacked to be used as a GSM phone for voice calls.

AT&T's bands are also better supported for use oversas, I believe, so you can use 3G whereas T-Mobile's Tab is limited to EDGE only.

I'd say that the AT&T is definitely the most desirable domestic Tab, followed by T-Mobile, then Sprint, then Verizon. The VZW just got a nice software update but AFAIK both CDMA versions still have BT HID profiles crippled. The GSM versions also have 16Gb of internal storage, whereas the CDMA ones just have 2Gb.

vjr021

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
If you root this tab can you side-load apps? How can you get around this???

AT&T recently offer $349 tabs (refurbished) online... No Contract.

Seems like a killer deal.

hkklife

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about rooting the stock ROM but I know running Overcome on my AT&T Tab you can sideload all day long.

Is that refurb deal still going on now? Sounds like a fantastic deal if so....I definitely think the AT&T Tab has the overall best combination of attributes & bands of the ones available in the USA right now. Of course, if the price is right, any available Tab is still a nice unit!

stew1411

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
does super one click work with g tabs? cuz on the program you can click enable sideloading and now my cappy cam sideload apps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk