JacksonEdwardHarrison

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
There seems to be some confusion amongst many people as to who Tizen is and who/what it is intended to do. I encourage those who think it has zero future to read up on it a bit. You can Google the word Tizen, and perhaps someday Tizen the word Google.

Tizen is not just a Samsung thing. It's actually a Linux thing (as Android was) and is governed by Fujitsu, Huawei, Intel, KT Corp, LG, NTT Docomo, Orange, Samsung, SK Telecom, Panasonic, NEC, Sprint and Vodafone, amongst others. These are MASSIVE players in the world of mobile, logistics, computing and electronics and many are positioned in first world and developing countries in ways that have already led them to explode with growth. Their reach is almost unimaginable.

Tizen is being tested in phones at present and will soon launch in Russia, India and shortly thereafter in China. These are 3 of the top ten largest economies in the world (and China is poised to overtake the US economy in size this very year). But more importantly, Tizen is not just for phones.

"Tizen differentiates itself from other mobile operating system through its immense scalability and developer friendly features. And to give you a clue about Tizen’s real purpose, the utility of the software extends far beyond mobile devices, developed for tablets, netbooks, automobile systems and televisions as well." It is even going into washing machines, and yes, watches.

No one can predict the future. And I know a lot of folks will call me a fanboy and tear this thread apart (as they are entitled to do) but my main point is to give people a perspective on Tizen that goes far deeper than a silly $200-300 watch. Do with that information what you wish.

Personally, if Android Wear offers a better product, I'll switch. If Tizen does, I'll stay put.

I'm not as old as many of you, but I am old enough to have owned a Blackberry and remember tech journalists mocking the idea that something called Android would ever give RIM a run for their money. Well, it's only been 10 years and we see how things have changed. 10 years! And Android has barely even been on the market for 7! The whole mobile paradigm is unrecognizable compared to the very short time ago when Android was just a glimmer in Google's eye.

Keep your minds open.

Last edited:

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
There seems to be some confusion amongst many people as to who Tizen is and who/what it is intended to do. I encourage those who think it has zero future to read up on it a bit. You can Google the word Tizen, and perhaps someday Tizen the word Google.

Tizen is not just a Samsung thing. It's actually a Linux thing (as Android was) and is governed by Fujitsu, Huawei, Intel, KT Corp, LG, NTT Docomo, Orange, Samsung, SK Telecom, Panasonic, NEC, Sprint and Vodafone, amongst others. These are MASSIVE players in the world of mobile, logistics, computing and electronics and many are positioned in first world and developing countries in ways that have already led them to explode with growth. Their reach is almost unimaginable.

Tizen is being tested in phones at present and will soon launch in Russia, India and shortly thereafter in China. These are 3 of the top ten largest economies in the world (and China is poised to overtake the US economy in size this very year). But more importantly, Tizen is not just for phones.

"Tizen differentiates itself from other mobile operating system through its immense scalability and developer friendly features. And to give you a clue about Tizen’s real purpose, the utility of the software extends far beyond mobile devices, developed for tablets, netbooks, automobile systems and televisions as well." It is even going into washing machines, and yes, watches.

No one can predict the future. And I know a lot of folks will call me a fanboy and tear this thread apart (as they are entitled to do) but my main point is to give people a perspective on Tizen that goes far deeper than a silly $200-300 watch. Do with that information what you wish.

Personally, if Android Wear offers a better product, I'll switch. If Tizen does, I'll stay put.

I'm not as old as many of you, but I am old enough to have owned a Blackberry and remember tech journalists mocking the idea that something called Android would ever give RIM a run for their money. Well, it's only been 10 years and we see how things have changed. 10 years! And it Android has barely even been on the market for 7! The whole mobile paradigm is unrecognizable compared to the very short time ago when Android was just a glimmer in Google's eye.

Keep your minds open, but feel free to let your rage out on me. I'm a man, I can take it.

OMG, THE worst products I have ever owned were a Storm and Storm 2. Battery pulls, reloading of the OS, no decent apps. Crap, it didn't even display emails well, and then there was the STUPID nonsense of not fully displaying some emails. And THAT from a supposed company that stressed email function?? Even my crappy Bionic did email better. I couldnt wait to dump the Storm2 (had it over a year!), wanted the Bionic (dumb me) which came to market way late. Those were not my best years with cell phones.

Let's not forget that Android (and Samsung in particular) is sticking it to Apple! :) Personally, I love the heck out of how explosive Android's growth and market share has been.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Can you maybe give us an idea of where Tizen does some things better than Android or that android can't do? Just trying to get udu-mucated. :D

JacksonEdwardHarrison

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
That type of detail is a bit above my pay grade. Maybe a programmer or app developer will chime in. But quick Google searches for "how is Tizen different than Android" or "why is Tizen better than Android" will yield answers for you to ponder.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
That type of detail is a bit above my pay grade. Maybe a programmer or app developer will chime in. But quick Google searches for "how is Tizen different than Android" or "why is Tizen better than Android" will yield answers for you to ponder.

Well, a quick search of said question yields the tidbit that Tizen is easily adaptable to devices running both Android AND iOS so developers using Tizen can reap the rewards of both. That's pretty big. Also another golden nugget: Another interesting thing about the new Tizen OS is its extensive personalization capabilities, which is even better than that of Android (<-- now THAT'S hard to imagine ;) )

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo