02-03-2015 07:20 AM
62 123
tools
    Here are a couple of things for you to consider because you are naïve.

Tech sites get their money from advertising and advertising means eyeballs. Eyeballs are generated by tips, rumors and invitations to see and test new products. Apple is especially bad about freezing out reviewers who give less than glowing reviews or who favor other products in comparisons.
    If you're an Android site you don't care about Apple not giving you early info, you just don't want to annoy Google, while still creating the impression of being evenhanded.

The tech world runs on rumor and access to information.

When people have a financial interest in having access to information from a specific manufacturer or will lose money if a manufacturer freezes them out, bias will exist in reviews.

While you may think that owners countering biased reviews is just purchase justification, when so many owners are incensed, the Gear S review, for example, even you must see there's something there.

While biased, negative reviews on Apple sites weren't enough to kill the Note phones, I want to see the Gear S type product succeed and for development to continue. A fair evaluation of the product is all we want.
    I can see and understand what you're saying. In fact, I have raised a similar observation.

What folks have to remember is that the Gear S is NOT an Android product, so to expect a pro Android tech site to be objective and support the product was not useful thinking by many.

Samsung built the Gear S on a Tizen platform so why did anyone expect Android Central, who needs to be loyal to Android, to give the product a fair review, especially compared to the golden child of Android Wear?

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-03-2014 08:55 PM
    I can see and understand what you're saying. In fact, I have raised a similar observation.

What folks have to remember is that the Gear S is NOT an Android product, so to expect a pro Android tech site to be objective and support the product was not useful thinking by many.

Samsung built the Gear S on a Tizen platform so why did anyone expect Android Central, who needs to be loyal to Android, to give the product a fair review, especially compared to the golden child of Android Wear?

Posted via the Android Central App
    I'm always surprised that people don't understand this basic fact of web sites and really, all media today: there is entertainment and there is propaganda. There is very little information. What information you do get results from sifting through the comments, looking for consistency and handling the product yourself.

To expect objectivity from people who have a financial interest is asking a lot.
    12-04-2014 01:22 AM
    IMO much of what posters are saying here is true. People use their phones very differently than many of the phones are designed to be used. Each person has their idea of what they want, but the producers have a very different objective in mind that includes: selling services, Apps, advetising, tracking, profile building, privacy invasion in general, etc... I'm a perfect case in point with how I use the Gear S.

I use it as my only phone, not connected in anyway to another phone. This produces some quirks because the Gear S isn't designed to be used without a remote connection, even if it can be. The contact list is the most troublesome feature using the Gear S by itself. For those carriers that don't use SIM cards, you can't even add a contact list. For those that do, you have to jump through hoops to trick it into reading the SIM card contact list.

The funny thing about reviews is that they don't always review the product with what the product is designed to do in mind. Take this example. I'd love to have a somewhat dumb Watchphone designed to make phone calls and text messages with support for BT, but without support for: FB, TWTR, Amazon, My Space, email, GPS, WiFi, etc... Some reviewers would claim such a phone is useless to them. I think GPS is required by law on cell phones in the USA now. The government and private industry want the ability to track you (I don't). I use the larger form factors for the Internet and email. The point being I would praise such a Watchphone for what it is designed for, but many reviwers would slam it because it can't do all the things their Smartphone can do.

A modern day Samsung S9110 with 2G/3G and BT in the form factor of the new Gear S would be great. It wouldn't cost Samsung anything extra to offer the Gears S like that. In fact, the easiest thing for Samsung to do is just add a completely indepentant phone use software option to the existing product and call it a WATCHPHONE, that can also sync to your other cell phone. That way the Gear S will DO-IT-ALL and leave the others in its' dust.

Just my 2-Cents.
    DAS and scann1 like this.
    12-04-2014 08:12 AM
    IMO much of what posters are saying here is true. People use their phones very differently than many of the phones are designed to be used. Each person has their idea of what they want, but the producers have a very different objective in mind that includes: selling services, Apps, advetising, tracking, profile building, privacy invasion in general, etc... I'm a perfect case in point with how I use the Gear S.

I use it as my only phone, not connected in anyway to another phone. This produces some quirks because the Gear S isn't designed to be used without a remote connection, even if it can be. The contact list is the most troublesome feature using the Gear S by itself. For those carriers that don't use SIM cards, you can't even add a contact list. For those that do, you have to jump through hoops to trick it into reading the SIM card contact list.

The funny thing about reviews is that they don't always review the product with what the product is designed to do in mind. Take this example. I'd love to have a somewhat dumb Watchphone designed to make phone calls and text messages with support for BT, but without support for: FB, TWTR, Amazon, My Space, email, GPS, WiFi, etc... Some reviewers would claim such a phone is useless to them. I think GPS is required by law on cell phones in the USA now. The government and private industry want the ability to track you (I don't). I use the larger form factors for the Internet and email. The point being I would praise such a Watchphone for what it is designed for, but many reviwers would slam it because it can't do all the things their Smartphone can do.

A modern day Samsung S9110 with 2G/3G and BT in the form factor of the new Gear S would be great. It wouldn't cost Samsung anything extra to offer the Gears S like that. In fact, the easiest thing for Samsung to do is just add a completely indepentant phone use software option to the existing product and call it a WATCHPHONE, that can also sync to your other cell phone. That way the Gear S will DO-IT-ALL and leave the others in its' dust.

Just my 2-Cents.
    I agree with most of what you say. But I do believe that all the nit picking in these reviews is designed to put a negative spin on the product being reviewed.
    Many of the nits derided on one product are either downplayed or ignored in reviews of similar products.
    Another thing I've noticed is that sites this one and Cnet, Engadget, etc. try to give the appearance of being enthusiast sites, they are all trying to be consumer sites as there's more ad money to be made from the extra eyeballs.
    As a result, they often approach their reviews as being aimed at the lowest common denominator. In other words, the simpler the product the better it will appeal to the average consumer. As a result, complex products that do a lot are downplayed. Unless of course its an Android site competing with an Apple site and then the Android product is only a little more complex, but still really simple while the extra complexity, while still easy to use, trumps Apple's simplicity.
    Again, not about unbiased information, all about eyeballs and ad dollars.
    Stevies likes this.
    12-04-2014 10:47 AM
    I agree I only want my watch phone for calls and sms and maybe emails. That's it, so keep WiFi on but I don't need that data charge. In Gear S form factor or better.
    12-04-2014 12:02 PM
    After almost two months of using the Gear S as my only phone (not as designed), I did end up letting it go. The main reason was the talking experience wasn't good enough for heavy use or long calls; although just fine for short ones. If used as designed this wouldn't really be an issue. The size/weight was a factor too. What I thought would be a PITA turned out to be one of the best features of this wirst phone; texting. The keyboard was surprising easy to use and taking care of all but the longest novel texts were easily done right on the Gear S using the fantastic keyboard. I wish my SGS DUOS had that same keyboard progam.

I thought of using the phone as it is actually designed, but that requires a compatible phone. The limit of choices there are an issue for some, including me. Can't upgrade my current Samsungs phone software to work with it and the next phone I hope to buy won't work with it either (Sony Xperia Z3/Z4 Compact). Because I really liked the notification feature of a wrist device and the ability to talk when I want to take a quick call, I'm now considering the Sony Smartband Talk. It's much lighter, smaller and has the key features "I" found to be best suited for the wirst. Of course it doesn't have one of the most important features of the Gear S, it's ability to standalone as a phone when you don't want to carry your other cell phone around.

Combining my wallet and cell phoone will be my next adventure; possibly with a wrist device for notifications.

After "my" experience, this article didn't seem that far off the mark, but did seem to have a negative twist to it. The Gear S is a great breakthrough device and as this form factor goes through more iterations, becomes smaller/thinner/lighter with multiple style options from different manufacturers, they will catch on. Personally I'm sold on the wrist notification feature. It's great to get your text and screen calls wihtout having to pull a phone out of your pocket.

My final 2-cents... Cheers!
    12-31-2014 08:40 AM
    After almost two months of using the Gear S as my only phone (not as designed), I did end up letting it go. The main reason was the talking experience wasn't good enough for heavy use or long calls; although just fine for short ones.
    Were you using it without a BT headset, then?

I, too, wish it worked with non Samsung devices, or at least all Samsung phones and tablets, because I will want to replace my ageing Note 2 at some point soon.
    01-06-2015 06:43 AM
    Were you using it without a BT headset, then?

I, too, wish it worked with non Samsung devices, or at least all Samsung phones and tablets, because I will want to replace my ageing Note 2 at some point soon.
    Sorry for the late response...

No. I used it just like a normal cell phone, only talked to my wrist and listened to the caller from my wrist.

I'm hoping to give the Sony SmartBand Talk a try next. Smaller, lighter, waterproof, good battery life (E-Ink) and NOTIFICATIONS is what I really want; with the ability to take the occasional incoming call. Call screening and text screening/viewing are all I'm really after if I am going to be carrying my phone around with me.

Hoping those minimal features might work with Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean without having to upgrade my phone to a KitKat compatible model right now. Not sure that they will yet. If someone knows, please chime in on my post in the Wearable Forums HERE.
    01-17-2015 09:21 AM
    "Just hope that it takes off. I noticed from my experience with the other GG watches, when they start to lose steam from Samsung, the updates and new apps start to slow"
    This is SO true. I know they did it with the Gear 1.
    tech_fan likes this.
    01-17-2015 09:48 AM
    Sorry for the late response...

No. I used it just like a normal cell phone, only talked to my wrist and listened to the caller from my wrist.

I'm hoping to give the Sony SmartBand Talk a try next. Smaller, lighter, waterproof, good battery life (E-Ink) and NOTIFICATIONS is what I really want; with the ability to take the occasional incoming call. Call screening and text screening/viewing are all I'm really after if I am going to be carrying my phone around with me.

Hoping those minimal features might work with Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean without having to upgrade my phone to a KitKat compatible model right now. Not sure that they will yet. If someone knows, please chime in on my post in the Wearable Forums HERE.
    Have you ever thought of a smart Bt headset that shows notifications and caller ID? Sony makes some awesome ones. I have one that can be paired with 3 (three!!!!) devices at the same time, but I am so in love with my LG Tone Plus headset that I never use it. Have a look at this one.

I would kill for a Gear S clone with full Android on board - and with a different charger that is not prone to breaking. I actually started researching cheap Chinese made Android watch phones, because there are a few apps I'd love to have on my watch in stand alone mode. I love my Gear S and would just strap the other one on the other wrist for the apps.
    01-17-2015 10:44 AM
    Way too many overly concerned about essentially what comes down to an opinion. Rarely are reviews "objective or fair". I am sure there are things that you, I don't like, while others are completely happy with the item.
    I had the Pebble, Sony2, LG Watch R and Gear Fit.... I like the Gear S better than all of the above. Don't give a Crap what others think, I'm the one wearing it.
    01-21-2015 05:27 PM
    my reply to the review

one small point re the cost - almost everyone I know has or has had a smartphone or tablet with a smashed screen - this includes Samsung phones - (all around the sound of breaking glass). I've spent a fortune repairing smashed screens or deciding against my better judgement to upgrade after all to the latest iPhone / iPad iteration instead.
    The acquisition costs of the fantastic Gear S with its sim card + compatible Samsung phone is cheaper than say an iPhone never mind say the cost of iPhone + iWatch without a sim.
    That's not the reason I bought the Gear S (i bought it for the sim and a major step forward in being liberated (though yes as yet not completely liberated) from carrying a "phone".
    I'm still struggling with some of the limitations and workarounds, am wary of the charging clips breaking off (so i'll have to carry a jam jar around with me to get it charged?) particularly given reports of Samsung's poor customer support (cf Apple's - though like many things in life that doesn't seem to be as good as it used to be) but this device is fantastic and way ahead of the crowd

My reply to the comments on the review
    • i don't think "cognitive dissonance" plays much of a role in purchasers struggling with "buyers remorse" and trying to justify buying a lemon to themselves - user reviews here and elsewhere have been very positive, but there have been plenty of posters stating they thought they had in fact bought a lemon and were about to return it
    • he who pays the piper does choose the tune - but maybe the problem is more these tech reviewers don't have time to fully explore the product - or are perhaps too entrenched in their own cognitive bubble - which I always felt was kind of weird in the domain of technology - surely a paid reviewer should know better when they see something new and different and perhaps recognise a degree of responsibility - so if a casual potential buyer reads the reviews they are going to be put off - which affects sales and future product development. They are tech reviewers not theatre critics tossing off their opinions. I keep going back to the UK Gadget Show review of the first iPhone "its a bit sh!te and the latest Sony Erickson is better"
    The Gear S is not perfect but it is the future - if biassed unhelpful reviews like that don't kill it off
    collett likes this.
    02-03-2015 07:20 AM
62 123