How to turn on Microphone Symbol in your Text messages

burningfenix

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys hows it going? I recently got my gear and ive been loving it so far! But i have one questions. I would like to respond to my text messages using my voice instead of typing it out, makes it easier for when i work. The issue is i cant find the option anywhere to turn on the Microphone symbol. Its grayed out in my options! does anyone know how to turn it on? Thanks!

20150119_232104.jpg

whaledd

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I have this same issue and have spent many hours on the phone with Samsung about this. I have been told by Samsung this is an issue in Canada. I would like to know what phone you have paired with your watch and what carrier your are with, just for comparison. Apparently there is new software in the works but I have been waiting for some time already for this functionality that is suppose to be in the watch........ Dissapointed

Posted via the Android Central App

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Works for me as well. USA, unlocked ATT Gear with T-mobile SIM paired with Note 2 unlocked intl' version with T-mo SIM.

Fred Nerk1

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Had the same issue, worked out it is to do with the languages and keyboard on your phone. The settings of the phone are passed to the gear S.
Here is Samsung faq on the Samsung gear S, it helped a bit in leading me to where the problem is
Get the manual from here:
h t t p : / / w w w .samsung.com/ca/support/model/SM-R750WZKAXAC
Page 35, here is snip of it:

Capture.JPG
1.Connect you gear and phone via bluetooth
2. On your phone set the keyboard to googles keyboard (downloadable from play store), not the Samsung one. Settings keyboard and input
3. Language: English (United states)
4. My keyboard input methods on my phone are :
Default: English (US) - Google keyboard
Google keyboard: English (US)
Google voice typing:Automatic
5. Open the Samsung gear app up on your phone
6. Settings
7. Install TTS voice data, I installed English AUS
8. You should now notice the mic button on the gear s has moved to the space keys as the others suggest and is not longer under the "123" button
Test it, should work this is what I did :)

Just remember if you swap keyboards on your phone again the mic button may grey out again.