3G Gear S2 now available for pre-order

rellim

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
This is the one I have been waiting for, but I'll also keep an eye on the LG Urbane 2. Gear S2 seems a little too small, and LG Urbane 2 a bit to big.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
This is the one I have been waiting for, but I'll also keep an eye on the LG Urbane 2. Gear S2 seems a little too small, and LG Urbane 2 a bit to big.
Even though the screen will be the same size on the S2 3g, it will be a bit bulkier at 2mm thicker and 2mm longer. May seem a bit less small on your wrist than the regular S2. Want to see it in person, myself, to decide, as I'm good with the current S2 size, so may be too thick for my tastes at 13.4mm.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I am the same way, either of these 2 watches for me. I am leaning toward the LG Urbane 2 cuz of a much bigger and better battery life, but I need to play with both first.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Is the battery 400mah? Verizon lists 300.

Edit: its 300 vs 260. Not much of a bump.

Posted via the Android Central App

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I am the same way, either of these 2 watches for me. I am leaning toward the LG Urbane 2 cuz of a much bigger and better battery life, but I need to play with both first.
Same here, like the Urbane 2's looks. Although the 570mAh in the Urbane 2 is probably going to be hit pretty hard by the LTE.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Just contacted Verizon and they said you cannot add this watch to an old plan that's no longer offered (like an Unlimited Data Plan)!!!! WTF? You'd have to either leave your UDP (yeah right, for a watch?!) or start a whole new phone plan with this watch (which basically starts at like $80 on Verizon, so nope).

Deflating news. I'm a bit at a loss as I was almost certainly gonna pick one up.

I hope there's a workaround somehow.

Last edited:

JAWS40

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I hear that the S2 3G won't have a speaker either. That's how they maitain IP68 water resistance. Makes sense to me, but it sucks to not have a speaker.
I would rather it be IP67 and have a speaker...

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I hear that the S2 3G won't have a speaker either. That's how they maitain IP68 water resistance. Makes sense to me, but it sucks to not have a speaker.

Pretty sure it does have a speaker. From everything I've read, and also have seen from watching the in-house Samsung videos where they say flat out "it has a speaker".

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

There should be a speaker. How else 3G calls are made, aside from a BT headset?

Last edited:

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Just contacted Verizon and they said you cannot add this watch to an old plan that's no longer offered (like an Unlimited Data Plan)!!!! WTF? You'd have to either leave your UDP (yeah right, for a watch?!) or start a whole new phone plan with this watch (which basically starts at like $80 on Verizon, so nope).

Deflating news. I'm a bit at a loss as I was almost certainly gonna pick one up.

I hope there's a workaround somehow.

I'm thinking of getting it for $350 and not use a data plan. $50 seems like a good price for a GPS, speaker and a better battery.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting it for $350 and not use a data plan. $50 seems like a good price for a GPS, speaker and a better battery.

Never thought of it that way. I wonder if it'll take/answer calls without the "new line added"???

While its still a huge disappointment that users with older plans cannot add this watch to their plans, if I'm able to still answer calls via Bluetooth, without the data plan then I might be back on the band wagon.

Ittlebit

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Anyone know when Best Buy will get the 3G in Stock? I would rather buy from them then Verizon.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Never thought of it that way. I wonder if it'll take/answer calls without the "new line added"???

While its still a huge disappointment that users with older plans cannot add this watch to their plans, if I'm able to still answer calls via Bluetooth, without the data plan then I might be back on the band wagon.

It did on the original Gear S so I think it will work.

vlfifthdawnlv

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure how I feel about the 3G S2. I think I much prefer the classic, I'm not sure why they couldn't make a 3G version.

Secondly, I'm not sure I can justify the extra 5$ per much. Not that its too expensive but I don't think I'm the type of person who can really benefit from 3G.

I just want to be sure I'm not missing out on anything. I ordered the Gear S2 Classic on Amazon and is just waiting for it to ship since it is not in stock yet so I still have time to cancel if I decide I want the 3g S2 instead.

Maybe I'm not understanding what the 3g really adds. Never had a 3g smartwatch, what extra abilities do I get having 3g? I almost always have my phone with me so I don't think notifications away from phone is needed. I don't like talking on a bluetooth as it confuses people around me so I'm definately not the type that would be talking to my wrist and won't people hear the conversation I'm having in public? I hike often and theres usually no cell signals near my hikes trials, I suppose GPS could be useful? Or would I still be able to relay GPS info from phone to watch without a 3g plan?

Am I missing anything else? What else does 3g allow me to do?

rdickert

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I think it depends on your use case. I bought an LTE Gear S because the concept sounded good, but in practice, I never used the features. I initially thought that it would be cool if I ever forgot my phone to be in contact but really in over 15 years, I don't think I have ever forgotten my phone :) Thankfully I was able to cancel the service within the 14 day AT&T window and return the device. I replaced it with the S2 and love it so far.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how I feel about the 3G S2. I think I much prefer the classic, I'm not sure why they couldn't make a 3G version.

Secondly, I'm not sure I can justify the extra 5$ per much. Not that its too expensive but I don't think I'm the type of person who can really benefit from 3G.

I just want to be sure I'm not missing out on anything. I ordered the Gear S2 Classic on Amazon and is just waiting for it to ship since it is not in stock yet so I still have time to cancel if I decide I want the 3g S2 instead.

Maybe I'm not understanding what the 3g really adds. Never had a 3g smartwatch, what extra abilities do I get having 3g? I almost always have my phone with me so I don't think notifications away from phone is needed. I don't like talking on a bluetooth as it confuses people around me so I'm definately not the type that would be talking to my wrist and won't people hear the conversation I'm having in public? I hike often and theres usually no cell signals near my hikes trials, I suppose GPS could be useful? Or would I still be able to relay GPS info from phone to watch without a 3g plan?

Am I missing anything else? What else does 3g allow me to do?

I never ever thought I'd take or make a call on my watch. That's the last feature I thought I'd want. But after a year with the Gear Neo, it's my favorite little feature and has become a "must have" for any future smart phone purchase. I too don't use a bluetooth headset and talking to my wrist isn't something I would do in public either...but...on the road and in private I've used the watch to answer calls. Not all the time, but even if it's once a week, I'm thankful that the feature is there. Sometimes I've just got my phone in another room and I can't get to it and I need to quickly answer...done. Sometimes my hands are full or something like that and I just wanna quickly answer without putting stuff down and digging into my pockets...done. Sometimes I'm driving and my phone is in a bag or maybe I just hadn't hooked it up to my headphones yet and I'm driving...done. I've never actually made a call using the watch but the few times a month I answer calls with it I'm thankful I have that feature. Smartwatches are limited really in how much we NEED them, and I don't NEED this feature, but I now say if I'm gonna spend $300-$400 on a watch, it better have this little feature. That's where the 3G model is more important to me than the non-3G.

I really would rather a Classic Version too...but the style of the regular is okay enough that it doesn't out weigh my "must have" smart watch feature in the ability to answer calls with the watch. And by the way, the speakerphone in my Neo is surprisingly loud and clear. You don't have to hold it to your ear or up to your face. It works pretty much like a phone's speakerphone and is about as clear as that too on the other end. If you're driving with your hands on the wheel or typing at your home office, no need to move your hands to your mouth. I've even just walked around with my arms down and the caller (usually my wife) can hear me just fine and I can hear them. Just so you know.

As for GPS, I'm curious what the benefits of that are. That'll be like a bonus for me I guess. But there's a high chance I won't be able to actually get this watch and have it be on it's own data plan because you can't do that with old grandfathered in plans (like an unlimited data plan). So if the above post is right and it'll still work to answer calls, that's good enough for me. If it's used as a Bluetooth only device does anyone know how GPS would benefit one at all vs. not having it if you weren't going to use this 3G model independently from the phone?

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
If I get the GPS version I'll just use it over Bluetooth. The GPS is handy for running. I will wait for a black Friday deals. The price will drop just like the s6 price has dropped.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87