Verizon Samsung Gear S2 3g

Thelt2000x

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Good day everyone! With the launch of the Urbane 2 being canceled for verizon I am now looking at the Gear S2 again.

For any verizon Gear s2 owners out there I have a couple of questions:

1. Different phone number. This is super annoying to me. This is the main reason why I wanted the urbane 2. It uses verizon messenger and syncs the phone number. Do you find having a second phone number as inconvenient as I imagine it to be? If I'm not near my phone and I respond to a text it will have the watch phone number correct?

2. Size. I wouldn't say I have big wrists but I certainly like to wear bigger watches. I tried on the original when at best buy a few weeks back and was actually put off by how small it was. Thought it was a perfect size for my wife. Does the 3g make this watch look any more masculine?

3. What are your overall thoughts? Are you happy with it? I have never had a smart watch before. I am not looking to make or take any phone calls with this watch unless in a emergency. However text and email is very important to me. Just looking for a little bit of advice from Verizon owners. Thanks for the time!!

Posted via the Android Central App

Dbat74

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
I am a larger watch guy myself and had the same concerns. Picked up my T-mobile Gear S2 3g on Monday and it is almost the exact size as my 45mm Omega Planet Ocean I wear on a daily basis. The size is perfect and I do not have any problem with it fitting under the cuffs of my dress shirts

Thelt2000x

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I am a larger watch guy myself and had the same concerns. Picked up my T-mobile Gear S2 3g on Monday and it is almost the exact size as my 45mm Omega Planet Ocean I wear on a daily basis. The size is perfect and I do not have any problem with it fitting under the cuffs of my dress shirts

Thanks for the feedback! Do you have any other feedback on the other questions?

Dbat74

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes, sorry forgot about the other questions. As for the second phone number, I don't have a problem with it. Then again I coming from the Gear S so I was already using the 2nd number.

General impressions, I am pleased with the watch and will be keeping it. The size is perfect for me. I am pleased with the apps that are available but then again, I don't expect this to do everything my S6 Edge can do. I don't want a smartphone on my wrist. I just got my bluetooth ear buds paired and I like that I don't have to take my phone with me everywhere. The look is cool and it does seem to do just about everything I want it to do.

I would like to see sleep tracking added back in to S Health as I did use that on occasion with my Gear S. Also wish S Voice was a little better and would like to be able set reminders through S Voice. Those things aren't deal breakers for me though. So far I would give it a 8/10.

Thelt2000x

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Well....I went ahead and got the watch. I did a test the texting and to my surprise when I am not connected to my phone it still uses my orginal phone number!! Pretty happy right now. Phone calls still use the watch number. Hopefully will be updated.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere that you could set the watch to display only your phone's number when contacting (texting AND calling) others. I believe I read that in the Gear S forum so I guess I assumed the same would be the case for the Gear S2. Hmm. Now I'm confused.

As for size, I'm pretty sure it's a bit wider than the non-3G version. It's definitely a bit thicker but not annoyingly or ugly-thick. The wideness appealed to me as the first time I picked up the non-3G version I also thought it was a tad too small. The screen size I think is the same though. But overall the size seemed better to me on the 3G version.

Having had the Gear 2 Neo for over a year now, I'm pretty set on what's useful for me and what my must haves are for watches. Being able to answer calls is one of my must-haves that I never thought I'd say back when I got my Neo. I use it not too often but more than I ever thought I would. I've used SVoice to initiate a call which is nice when it works (man, I wish it had google now instead) and I've never once dialed a number or gone through my contacts on my watch to call someone. Only really use it for answering calls while driving or while I'm holding something or while my phone is deep in my pocket or away from me at the time of the call.

I feel like the Gear S2 3G is so close to being a great watch with only a few small oddities and downsides (SVoice, Notification display, lack of Google Maps, lack of reminders, hit/miss fitness tracking, S2 Classic styling with 3G capability, etc.) Still, it's nice with the single best UI in my opinion and the rotating bezel is the way of the future for sure.

Last edited:

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Good day everyone! With the launch of the Urbane 2 being canceled for verizon I am now looking at the Gear S2 again.

For any verizon Gear s2 owners out there I have a couple of questions:

1. Different phone number. This is super annoying to me. This is the main reason why I wanted the urbane 2. It uses verizon messenger and syncs the phone number. Do you find having a second phone number as inconvenient as I imagine it to be? If I'm not near my phone and I respond to a text it will have the watch phone number correct?

2. Size. I wouldn't say I have big wrists but I certainly like to wear bigger watches. I tried on the original when at best buy a few weeks back and was actually put off by how small it was. Thought it was a perfect size for my wife. Does the 3g make this watch look any more masculine?

3. What are your overall thoughts? Are you happy with it? I have never had a smart watch before. I am not looking to make or take any phone calls with this watch unless in a emergency. However text and email is very important to me. Just looking for a little bit of advice from Verizon owners. Thanks for the time!!

Edit: I just read the past where you said you bought the watch. I'll just leave my answers for others who had the same questions.

This is my second SmartWatch. My first was the Verizon Gear S. I loved that watch, and this one is even better. My only gripe is that my favorite watch face has not been ported to the new one yet. (I contacted the developer, he's working on it).

1. The second phone number is not annoying at all. If you set up call forwarding, and the watch is not connected to the phone, the call go straight to the watch. If you make a call from the watch there is a setting in the menu option of the watch so that the phone number that appears on the other persons phone is your phone number. If you are connected to the phone of course it just routes through bluetooth.

2. The 3G doesn't make the watch looks significantly bigger I imagine, the diameter is the same of course. It does it just a little higher off of your wrist, & I think it actually makes the heart rate sensor more accurate. It is incredibly accurate when I use my stationary bike and when I turn on the automatic monitoring throughout the day. I haven't got to run or bike with it yet because I have been working crazy hours and I've only had it for a week.

3. The voice to text is extremely accurate, and the t9 keyboard is actually pretty good. It is easy to read text and email and to reply with voice. Truthfully though, if you really want a bigger watch, you can easily get the original Gear S for Verizon for about $200. And if you don't like it, you can always sell it for very close to what you paid for it. I bought mine on eBay for $180 about 4 months ago, and I sold it on eBay last week for $195. I just put that money towards my new Gear S2.

The only real improvement over the original Gear is the aesthetics and the more accurate heart rate monitor because of the way it sits against your wrist. Sometimes the original Gear S took a long time to get a GPS lock without the phone if you were going for a workout. I can't comment on the Gear S 2 GPS yet since I have not taken it for a stand alone workout.

I personally don't use the rotating bezel as much as most people, but it is nice to have. I also would not by the Bluetooth only version because there is no speaker for alarms of to take a phone call on it without a headset. But that's just me.

Thelt2000x

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. The whole using your original phone number to make calls when not connected to your phone must be an att option. I can forward my calls with no issue but that option is grayed out for me when not connected and shows my watch phone number. When not connect to my phone via BT it goes into "connected remotely" mode and I can sent text messages using my orginal phone number.

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to receive (on the watch) text messages that were sent to the phone (in 3g mode, not connected to bluetooth)? Do you have to use forwarding software on the phone?

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Quick question... using the Gear S2 3G version, when you're away from your phone and using your watch independently, do emails still come through to the watch?

Thelt2000x

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to receive (on the watch) text messages that were sent to the phone (in 3g mode, not connected to bluetooth)? Do you have to use forwarding software on the phone?

The quick answer is yes you get text messages and no you do not have to used forwarding software.

If you would like the long answer as to why let me know.

Thelt2000x

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Quick question... using the Gear S2 3G version, when you're away from your phone and using your watch independently, do emails still come through to the watch?

Yes you do. Just have to make sure the notifications are set.

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
The quick answer is yes you get text messages and no you do not have to used forwarding software.

If you would like the long answer as to why let me know.

You sound like you're taking a page out of LG's "be vague" playbook. :) (kidding). I would love the long answer, but don't sweat it, I think I'll see if I can pick up an S2 3g and see how I like it, if they're available in any stores these days.

Thelt2000x

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
You sound like you're taking a page out of LG's "be vague" playbook. :) (kidding). I would love the long answer, but don't sweat it, I think I'll see if I can pick up an S2 3g and see how I like it, if they're available in any stores these days.

Long answer? Too easy. The phone has 3 connections modes.

1. Connected bluetooth - watch is connected to the phone with a bluetooth connection.

2. Connected remotely - watch is connected to the phone with a 3g connection.

3. Standalone - phone is not connected to the watch at all. This happens in 2 cases. The in between time from when your phone is switching from BT to Remote connection and vice versa. Or you phone is turned off.

While in connected via BT or remotely your watch will use your orginal phone number. In stand alone it will use your watch phone number. In ANY mode if you make a call you will use your watch phone number.

I have my calls forwarded to my watch all the time. I always forget to turn in on when I leave my phone. I noticed it uses about 2% more battery per hour having it on all the time. Probably because my data is on. If you don't have the call forwarding on you can have the option to have data off while connected to phone and turn on automatically when it disconnects from the phone putting it into remote mode.

Just FYI, call forwarding is not instant. Your phone will still ring for about 15 sec then it get forwarded to you watch when not connected bluetooth. If you are connected to your bluetooth and have call forwarding on both will ring at the same time.

Long enough for you lol? Hope it makes sense. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will do my best to answer.

perezs07

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
If for example I plan to go on a run with just watch. Will it automatically go into remote connection or do you have too set it every time? FYI, I have all the settings set to forward already. I do notice a pop up on phone that says call forwarding enabled when I purposely shut down phone Bluetooth. Does that mean I have to tap ok for it to enable or is it just a reminder?

Thelt2000x

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
If for example I plan to go on a run with just watch. Will it automatically go into remote connection or do you have too set it every time? FYI, I have all the settings set to forward already. I do notice a pop up on phone that says call forwarding enabled when I purposely shut down phone Bluetooth. Does that mean I have to tap ok for it to enable or is it just a reminder?

It will go into remote automatically. Have not seen that message. Probably just a reminder.