Gear S2 Music Control - (w/ Chromecast Audio)

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Can the Gear S2 control any music player that you have on your phone? Can it control Google Play Music? I'm looking to set up our house with some Chromecast Audio devices and I'm going to probably send all my iTunes music to Google Play Music and then cast it to the players all around the house. So I'm hoping that the watch would then be able to control those songs.

Thoughts? Ideas? Answers?

alex346

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
We use Spotify to stream music at our house and I have no issue controlling the music from the media player that is on the Gear S2. While there is no actual Spotify app available i've noticed that the S2's music player will recognize what your using on your phone to play music and it will then allow you to change tracks and whatnot. With Spotify it even has the album art in the background on the watch face. This setup has worked great for me as I have a chrome cast audio pluged into my home av receiver which controls all the speakers I have throughout the house. I start up Spotify, hit cast in the Spotify app so that it send sit through to my av receiver and boom, whole house audio via my phone and/or watch

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
We use Spotify to stream music at our house and I have no issue controlling the music from the media player that is on the Gear S2. While there is no actual Spotify app available i've noticed that the S2's music player will recognize what your using on your phone to play music and it will then allow you to change tracks and whatnot. With Spotify it even has the album art in the background on the watch face. This setup has worked great for me as I have a chrome cast audio pluged into my home av receiver which controls all the speakers I have throughout the house. I start up Spotify, hit cast in the Spotify app so that it send sit through to my av receiver and boom, whole house audio via my phone and/or watch

That's awesome! Thank you so much for your answer. I actually just got back from a Best Buy just now and asked the Samsung rep this question and she said "we are hoping that we'll see an update soon that will allow the watch to do that but for right now it'll just control what music is on the watch" Thos Samsung reps are now 0 for 3 in my recent questions. So glad for your answer. I got my wife an S2 3G for christmas and if I don't know how to sell it to her right away then she won't like it. But if I can say it can do "this" and "this" and even "this" then I have a feeling she'll be sold. This definitely helps.

THANKS!

Mznik60620

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I use Rhapsody and Milk Music primarily and the watch allows me to control both apps. I am also able to use it to control the music that is saved on my phone through the music player

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
That's awesome! Thank you so much for your answer. I actually just got back from a Best Buy just now and asked the Samsung rep this question and she said "we are hoping that we'll see an update soon that will allow the watch to do that but for right now it'll just control what music is on the watch" Thos Samsung reps are now 0 for 3 in my recent questions. So glad for your answer. I got my wife an S2 3G for christmas and if I don't know how to sell it to her right away then she won't like it. But if I can say it can do "this" and "this" and even "this" then I have a feeling she'll be sold. This definitely helps.

THANKS!
I spent 10 minutes with the "Samsung Expert" at Best Buy, playing with the S2 before ordering one from Verizon. Within 30 seconds it became clear that I already knew more about the S2 than she did when she did not know if it had a built in speaker.

Very disappointing. Best Buy had started to turn it around, too.

drhewang

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I would like to know if the watch player can control my PodcastAddict playing on my Android phone? Anyone had any luck?

Thanks,

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I can control volume, pause/play, and next/previous track on PodcastAddict with my Gear S2 classic (non-3g). There's no way access playlists from PodcastAddict on the watch. (This is the case with most of the android audio-related phone apps I know of. Exceptions are a couple of 3rd party watch apps for Spotify and Pandora that offer a little more control.)

Azchillin

May 4, 2016
Visit site

Is this on the 3g watch our the Bluetooth only watch?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38