Samsung Gear s2 Classic - Almost ready to pull the trigger !

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I've been looking at the Samsung Gear s2 Classic watch and really like it.

Lots of YouTube reviews, unboxings and looking at one in the Samsung Store.

But nothing beats the honest opinions of real end users.

The s3 frontier / classic models are just a tad too large.

So my questions are for you s2 and s2 classic owners. :)

How are you finding general use ?
Does it hold up well to wear and tear ?
Although battery life is a subjective topic how is yours holding up ?
I've read of the occasional over heating issue - how's yours ?
Any lag ?
How's the Ui ?
Does the phone get notifications from the stock Samsung email app ?
Have you experienced any shortcomings ?
Is the vibrate to announce an incoming notification adequate ?
How's the thickness of the watch overall to you when on your wrist ?
Is it easy and stable when using it whilst on the wrist ?
Any other Pro's and Con's ?

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I had an iPhone and Apple Watch series 2. Moved to a s2 classic refurbished after getting the s7. It's a great watch and for me a greater value over the more expensive s3. It beats any android wear watch I've tried in design. The dial is so very useful. Size is closer to a regular watch.

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
No I don't regret my purchase. I have the T-Mobile one with gps with has been useful to me on my runs and walks. I have not tried that app.

purplemarauder#AC

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Same here. Zero regrets from getting an S2 6 months ago.

I mostly went for it because most smartwatches are easy too big, this one is perfect.

Battery life easily manages 2 days, pairs perfectly wth my Google Pixel and works great for running and notifications - my two main use cases.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I was looking at the Gear s3 smart watches today and even though they are impressive they are just too big for me.

I have a Samsung Gear s2 Classic in Black being delivered to me tomorrow.

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I just got my Tmo refurb. Updating took 2hrs over wifi... Annoying.

Little edit.... Got the UA apps to work after uninstalling them on the phone and reinstalling them. Got my one year mvp/premium too.

That said... All the fitness apps seem to suck. Endomondo, map my run, and Nike. Not one gives you the ability for customizing fields to fit four metrics on a page. Nike does one big one with tiny ones at the top scrolling. That just makes no sense.

So for my goal, I'm definitely not happy at the moment. Just want one simple watch for music and GPS workouts.

Don't know why it's so hard many years later to seamlessly replicate the features of my MotoActv. Music and four metrics (time, pace, avg pace and distance). Where is ghost racer when you need it. Contemplating the Huawei Watch 2, but the screen seems even smaller. The Urbane 2 seems also to he a good option. Want to see how battery life is with the 2.0 update. The LG Sport's battery is just tiny.

Last edited:

purplemarauder#AC

May 24, 2010
Visit site
for fitness (running in my case) I just use the built in Samsung Health which just sync's automatically with Strava - my tracking tool of choice. totally smooth and no effort required.... except the actually running bit of course 😉

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I need my pace and average pace on the screen so I can gauge how I'm doing and if/when I need to push. My cheap $75 vivoactive can do four metrics on one screen to add in time and distance. Ghostracer can for androidwear.

Tizen has four fitness options. S-health, Nike, MMR and Endo. Not one can come close to doing four metrics let alone three that are easily seen. And if so, it's only by scrolling and one of the metrics is tiny and unreadable whole running with any sort of intensity.

Not seeing the point of these apps if they are all just geared towards the casual.

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Mine did to. Returned it the other day. Hope you have better luck than I did. Couldn't get through a full day on a charge, and that was without using it for gps and music.

Liked everything about it but the battery and the watered down fitness apps. I have the Urbane 2 coming on Friday as well as a refurb Amazfit Pace. For $80 the Pace will be a keeper strictly as a running watch with music.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I just bought mine online for $119 refurbished through Amazon..it is amazing and looks brand new

That's around £91 here which is much better value than the £200 being sold by Samsung for a new unit.

I ended up sending my watch back as the price outweighed the watch imo.

I certainly buy it for what you paid.

I'm not sure if Amazon UK sell refurbished Gear s2 Classic watches ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87