Is Bluetooth needed for a carrier LTE S3

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm just wondering if linking the phone via Bluetooth is necessary if your on the unlimited plans. I don't listen to music thru the watch, I just want it for the notifications and calling.

Any thing you can think of?

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Get LTE. You'll get in the habit if answering calls on your phone. You'll run errands, etc., without your phone.

You'll be FREE!

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you can't set the phone up without connecting it to a device with Bluetooth. After it's set up initially though, you can turn Bluetooth off and it'll connect through your LTE connection. You won't be able to answer any phone calls unless you have a one number service through your carrier, they call your watch phone number, or you have call forwarding enabled.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Yes, you can't set the phone up without connecting it to a device with Bluetooth. After it's set up initially though, you can turn Bluetooth off and it'll connect through your LTE connection. You won't be able to answer any phone calls unless you have a one number service through your carrier, they call your watch phone number, or you have call forwarding enabled.

Not sure this adequately explains the set up. You can have a different number or your usual number which means calls come to your watch directly. The latter is the option I chose. Calls come to my phone and watch at the same time. I choose which device to use.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Not sure this adequately explains the set up. You can have a different number or your usual number which means calls come to your watch directly. The latter is the option I chose. Calls come to my phone and watch at the same time. I choose which device to use.
Yeah, but you can only do that with a one number service, that was my point.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I have Bluetooth turned off on watch, this is what it says on my notification drop down. What's that mean.

I can receive and make calls on watch.

58386c9bcfe3a89470b7087d186a6b35.jpg

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
The watch has 3 connection modes: bluetooth, standalone and remote connect. BT obviously offers the most functionality, but the watch can handle phone calls, texts, and run many apps in standalone mode, no connection to the phone. In standalone mode, no notifications from the phone are passed through. With remote connect, the watch is connected to the phone via cellular or wifi. While functionality is more limited than BT, it does allow notifications to be passed through.

I no longer carry around a smartphone. I leave it at home on wifi, so that it's remotely connected to my watch. It use it for calls, texts, calendar, to do lists, and other tasks that don't require a large screen. I usually have a tablet close by for computing, media consumption, or content creation.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The watch has 3 connection modes: bluetooth, standalone and remote connect. BT obviously offers the most functionality, but the watch can handle phone calls, texts, and run many apps in standalone mode, no connection to the phone. In standalone mode, no notifications from the phone are passed through. With remote connect, the watch is connected to the phone via cellular or wifi. While functionality is more limited than BT, it does allow notifications to be passed through.

I no longer carry around a smartphone. I leave it at home on wifi, so that it's remotely connected to my watch. It use it for calls, texts, calendar, to do lists, and other tasks that don't require a large screen. I usually have a tablet close by for computing, media consumption, or content creation.
OK. My watch says remote connected and Verizon below it. It sounds like it will do what I mostly want. I can't think of anything besides listening to music thru the watch that Bluetooth connection will give me.

Main reason I'm doing it this way is to prevent the watch from disconnecting and reconnecting to the phone all the time. Samsung's Bluetooth isn't that great range.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I have really good range on my watches BT about 3 houses down the block, sound on BT is superior on this watch S3

jgreg02

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
OK. My watch says remote connected and Verizon below it. It sounds like it will do what I mostly want. I can't think of anything besides listening to music thru the watch that Bluetooth connection will give me.

Main reason I'm doing it this way is to prevent the watch from disconnecting and reconnecting to the phone all the time. Samsung's Bluetooth isn't that great range.

Did you have metal or non-metal band on it?

tekki

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
I have wifi turned off, I have Bluetooth turned off and I have cellular always on, outside it works great, inside any house I go to cellular won't connect and it says emergency Calls only. I have Verizon it has its own phone number as well as shares my s8plus number. Any idea why inside a house it says emergency Calls only?

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I have wifi turned off, I have Bluetooth turned off and I have cellular always on, outside it works great, inside any house I go to cellular won't connect and it says emergency Calls only. I have Verizon it has its own phone number as well as shares my s8plus number. Any idea why inside a house it says emergency Calls only?
My best guess is poor cellular service. Mine doesn't do that.

anon(463177)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Alittle worried about limited functionality comments here. If I share a number with my phone (TMob calls it Digits) what functionality do I lose? My must haves are Calender and notifications from calendar, Google reminders, email, text. TMobile days it'll perform just like my phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chibisaurus