Thinking of moving to S3 from android wear

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I currently have Huawei watch and thinking of moving to S3 since am having Note 8. Any suggestions if S3 is better than android wear? Thanks

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I currently have Huawei watch and thinking of moving to S3 since am having Note 8. Any suggestions if S3 is better than android wear? Thanks
I don't have experience with Android Wear but I have used the S3 Frontier watch on quite a few occasions. That is a very good watch and pairs quite well with the Note 8. It also has quite a few handy features as well.

terobaje

Tero Baje
Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

If you use a lot of apps on your watch then S3 won't be a good experience for you. Compared to Android Wear, there are very few apps made for Tizen OS. If you are not that dependent on apps then S3 or Gear Sport will be a great experience for you. I have used both and to me S3/Sport is just a better experience. Since Samsung designed both the hardware and the software, they integrate nicely. Battery life is also better than any Android Wear watches.

fkpalm

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I am the opposite I have a Samsung gear S3 which I happen to love and want to try Android Wear 2.0 so I just purchased the Huawei 2 have not set it up yet

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
If you use a lot of apps on your watch then S3 won't be a good experience for you ....there are very few apps made for Tizen OS

Granted I've not used Android Wear, but I find that there are plenty of apps for Tizen. Now I'm not an app ***** either, and find that my Gear does everything I need it to do with minimal apps. If I have needed anything for my S3, I've been able to find an app for it.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Does gear S3 support Navigation? Also what is the voice assistant? Bixby/S-Voice
There are navigation apps for it and it has S Voice. Funny is it will sometimes chime in on my conversations at work and I didn't even "summon" it.

BaconDanny

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I just made the switch from Huawei Watch to S3 Frontier about a week ago. The UI and the rotating bezel control were the main reasons I went for it as Ive been quite fed up with the how un-intuitive Android Wear has felt since the 2.0 update. So far I'm very satisfied with how much better the S3 handles!

Apart from the things mentioned above my favourite features of the S3 are Samsung Pay and the ability to play music directly from the watch to my Bluetooth headphones. Works brilliantly and now I don't need to bring my phone when I go for a run.

So I say go for it :)

Sleepwlkr45

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
my S voice has been popping in on my conversations for the last couple of weeks...which is funny considering how useless it is most of the time...

dbregman

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I have had multiple Android Wear watches including most recently trying the LG watch sport. Android Wear has come a long way and the rotating crown on the LG watch sport is a nice touch. The biggest complaint I have about Android wear is the lack of improvements on the underlying chipset and the fact that that causes battery life to be so poor. I just moved to the Gear S3 Frontier and the battery life is far superior. As others have noted the app ecosystem is not as robust - but I think I can make do with that. The other big issue is the loss of Google Assistant which really has come a long way. S Voice is nowhere near there yet. I still have not been able to get S Voice to work to text or call a specific contact.
I'm using a non Samsung phone and the one thing I seem to lose with that is the ability to view an entire conversation within a text message. I can see the last message and reply to it without issue, but if I want to refer to previous messages in the thread I have to go to the phone.
I have multiple email accounts across two different email apps and all works well there. I like the look of Google Fit and the data it gives me and I found an app that takes the s-fit data and sends it to Google fit so no loss there.
Hope this helps, feel free to ask any specific questions.

JR Messina

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
The Gear S3 is a far superior hardware and os to the LG or tic watch I have also used. I started with Gear and tried our AW when I got my pixel because I was frustrated with the lack of apps. I still have an AW watch but still use my gear S3 99% of the time.
If AW would add widgets and release Magnetic Google pay it would be a significant improvement.