new pre transfer

piercedchef

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
just got a moment yesterday after taking in my 4th pre for repairs. i have to say i am definately impressed.......a little shell shocked (i did love my pre, just too many cons to keep it), but never the less i'm accepting the android platform with open arms. i have a couple of questions tho.

1. the big talk was flash would be enabled on the webos when adobe released it.......what about on android?

2. i recorded a short video when i first got the phone.....how do i delete it from the gallery?

3. is there a "universal search" in this platform. the commercials lead you to believe there is.....the one where it searches for "human". if so....how do i access it?

4. thankfully this phone has an expandable memory.....when downloading an app does it save to the internal or the sd card? is there a way to specify where it saves so i don't fill the phone immediately?

that's all for now. sure i'll have more:rolleyes:

thanx ahead of time for your responses

wkj

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
1. No Flash "officially" for the Moment. Supposedly the older processor is not supported.
2. After watching the video, click on the back button. Should be options along the top of the screen.....one for delete.
3. Not sure on this version (1.5). The Hero seems to have a search, but i think that's an added HTC feature. The commercial for the Droid you refer to is running Android 2.0. We should get that update real soon (2.1 actually)
4. Apps only go into internal for now.

wkj

duratime

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Came from the Pre two weeks ago. Switching to this phone was a little bit of a shock. Palm OS is pretty intuitive, but the once you get used to the moment, you'll like it better. I would suggest, Handcent MMS, it is a free app for the text messaging. I makes texting way nicer, and actually nicer than the Pre. I was having a Bluetooth issue and was about to return my phone and just use my Pre. I held the two phones side by side and asked them to do the same tasks and every task I asked was significantly faster on the Moment, except opening the browser, which was a tie. I knew then I couldn't go back to the Pre. I finally figured out (with the help of Sprint TS) the bluetooth issue. The widgets and apps available for android are also really cool (My favs: Handcent MMS, Calendar Pad, Moment Flash, Beautiful Widgets, Timeriffic, Notes, OI Shopping list. Most are free.) . I'm really happy with this phone compared to the Pre. I also feel that the battery last about 20% longer (maybe even more). Good luck.

piercedchef

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
thanx for the answers. i have had some time to play around with the phone and came up with a few answers to my own questions. if you are looking for a universal search i found an app that works pretty well until we get it in an update. it's called aurora. i would also suggest a combination of advanced task killer and task cleaner pro for better battery life. i would also suggest openhome and moment flash.....the widget for the flash is just a toggle button....it's great.

as far as the original questions. i know there is no flash but is it rumored to be coming to this platform? same thing applies to the storage question.....are there rumors of being able to store apps on the sd? and call me dumb but i cant find a way to delete videos without mounting the sd and doing it through the computer.

wkj

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Once you watch the video, hit the back button. Should get a row of icons on the top of the screen........one is a trashcan. If this is what you mean.

As for saving to external card, I thought I read something about it maybe being able to do in the future, but i can't recall where I read it.

wkj

piercedchef

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
when i watch the video it goes right back to the gallery screen when it's over and if i hit back it just goes back.....nothing at the top of the screen. what the hell am i doin wrong?!?!

cwildman347

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
try pressing the menu button, an option for delete should be there.
If that doesnt work, access it from the gallery and select clip and menu from there.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
The Hero and Eris are the only Android devices currently running a version of Flash (but its not from Adobe). HTC added it to these phones and call it Flash Lite. It has its limitations, but works for many things and has been out since the release of the phones.
Universal Search like the Pre is on 2.0+ phones. Fortunately for you, the Moment will be getting 2.1 soon (its amazing btw, running 2.1 + sense UI on my Hero)
There is no reason the Moment wouldn't be able to run Flash. Adobe just wants to be little bitches they are.

wkj

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Same OS, different versions. Some phone manufacturers (HTC, Motorola) add some extra User Interface goodies and functionality. HTC adds Sense UI and Motorola does something called MotoBlur.

Not all HTC or Moto made phones however get the extra goodies (Droid, Nexus). Samsung also has TouchWiz for some of thier phones, but not on the Moment.

Confused yet? It gets better. Not all phones run the same version OS of Android. Most phones released last year seem to run 1.5 (cupcake) or 1.6. The Droid however came out with 2.0 and the Nexus came out this year with 2.1. Some phones released very recently (Moto Devour) have 1.6.

Now, some older phones running 1.5 can't run some of the newer apps (which is why some apps in the market won't show up in your phones market (I think this is right).

IMO the whole Android scene is a mess right now, but Joe General public picking up an Android phone won't really care what version OS the are running, ect....

wkj
It makes no sense.

Jo_795

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Same OS, different versions. Some phone manufacturers (HTC, Motorola) add some extra User Interface goodies and functionality. HTC adds Sense UI and Motorola does something called MotoBlur.

Not all HTC or Moto made phones however get the extra goodies (Droid, Nexus). Samsung also has TouchWiz for some of thier phones, but not on the Moment.

Confused yet? It gets better. Not all phones run the same version OS of Android. Most phones released last year seem to run 1.5 (cupcake) or 1.6. The Droid however came out with 2.0 and the Nexus came out this year with 2.1. Some phones released very recently (Moto Devour) have 1.6.

Now, some older phones running 1.5 can't run some of the newer apps (which is why some apps in the market won't show up in your phones market (I think this is right).

IMO the whole Android scene is a mess right now, but Joe General public picking up an Android phone won't really care what version OS the are running, ect....

wkj
It makes no sense.

it will always be a mess and thats the carrier's fault ... too bad theres not much that can be done unless the companies support there damn phones

piercedchef

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
wow. yeah that is really ass backwards. all the "goodies" aside, you would think if there is a update it would go across the board. reguardless, the more i play around with this phone the more i like it. thanx for the answer tho.....very informative.

wkj

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
wow. yeah that is really ass backwards. all the "goodies" aside, you would think if there is a update it would go across the board. reguardless, the more i play around with this phone the more i like it. thanx for the answer tho.....very informative.

It's because of the goodies that's causing the delay and fragmentaion IMO. HTC has to update Sense, Moto update Blur, etc.....to work with 2.1.

What I don't understand is that our Moments run a "vanilla" version of Android (meaning no "goodies" added by Samsung) so our update to 2.1 should have been quick and painless.

Like JO stated above, some of the blame is on the carrier too.

wkj

majorscud

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I just went from my 5th pre to the Moment. So far I have to admit I love "almost" everything about the switch. The space bar is kinda weird to push, and the 3D games were getting pretty good on the pre, but android doesnt seem to have much in 3D games so far.

duratime

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I just went from my 5th pre to the Moment. So far I have to admit I love "almost" everything about the switch. The space bar is kinda weird to push, and the 3D games were getting pretty good on the pre, but android doesnt seem to have much in 3D games so far.

The biggest complaint that I have is that the camera sucks compared to the Pre. The quality is as good, but it is very slow to capture. I don't know if there is a way to speed it up. Other than that, your right about the games, but the speed of this phone is so much faster than the Pre, I can deal without the games. Check out Handcent MMS (free in the market), it is a good addition to the Moment, and will make you miss your Pre even less.

majorscud

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Ya, reading this forum I grabbed it, and it was a breath of fresh air compared to the stock mms tool. I agree with the camera being really slow, but didn't they say that android 2.1 speeds up the camera app a lot?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87