Changing the name to a shortcut to specific number in a Contact

bgoodr

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
On the Samsung Moment, how does one go about adding a shortcut to a specific number in a given contact, and have that icon on the home page (or in a folder within the home page) and be able to change the name that shows up on the page? For example, suppose I have a contact named Joe Bleau with two numbers:
  • Home - 555 123 1234
  • Voicemail - 555 321 4321

On my home page, I would want a shortcut labeled "Joe Bleau Home" that, when pressed, dials 555 123 1234, and another shortcut labeled "Joe Bleau Voicemail" that, when pressed, dials 555 321 4321. No, I do not want to create two redundant contact entries, one specifically called "Joe Bleau Voicemail", and another called "Joe Bleau Home", since that also clutters up my Gmail contacts when using Gmail contacts from a desktop PC browser.

What happens now is that the shortcut I add to the home page just has the title field of the gmail contact, with no apparent way to rename the icon itself to specify "Voicemail" or "Home" (at least, I cannot see where to do that). Any ideas as to how?

bg

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
pardon me, I'm on a Moto Droid and don't know if the functionality is different. But, Try this:

Long press home screen / shortcut / direct dial / scroll thru the contacts until the one with the specific number and contatc you want is diplayed - press it. done.

I know this sounds ridiculously easy and leads me to believe the functionality must be different with your device. However, I'd like to see if you've tried this simple step yet.

bgoodr

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Long press home screen / shortcut / direct dial / scroll thru the contacts
That is different on the Samsung Moment, since I just go to the home screen and then single-quick-press the Contacts app button.

No joy. Long pressing on an individual contact shows a dialog box containing these three items:
  1. Call
  2. Send SMS/MMS
  3. Make default number
None of which is what I need here.

But thanks for the reply!

bg

dbonbass

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I see that your still running 1.5

I've got 2.1 loaded and it does work the way prometheus
described it for the droid.