pghlesbian

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I have read scores of threads about memory issues and Androids, but I'm still confused.

What are the memory numbers I should try to meet in terms of available/used?

How do I manage memory?
  • When I move apps to SD card, that creates other problems
  • I have over 4,000 contacts in gmail. I can't delete them. What do I do?
  • I delete texts so they are not a problem
  • I routinely remove photos and video.
  • I routinely empty caches

I am simply puzzled. We spend $200/month on these phones and it just seems like I should be able to use it without investing hours cleaning up and googling and hoping for the best. Verizon and Samsung are no help - they always tell me to do a hard reset which I've done about 4 times since I acquired this specific device in September.

Suggestions for preventing this problem?

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Are you talking about your RAM or actual storage memory?

If it is your storage memory, like if your phone is a 8GB, 16Gb, 32GB and so on, there isn't really much that can be done. If it is RAM, the memory that holds apps in the background for multitasking and for preloading games, that you shouldn't have to worry about. Android can manage that on it's own pretty darn good without user help.

Also knowing this "specific" device would be a great help in pinpointing the issues.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Are you talking about your RAM or actual storage memory?

If it is your storage memory, like if your phone is a 8GB, 16Gb, 32GB and so on, there isn't really much that can be done. If it is RAM, the memory that holds apps in the background for multitasking and for preloading games, that you shouldn't have to worry about. Android can manage that on it's own pretty darn good without user help.

Also knowing this "specific" device would be a great help in pinpointing the issues.

I'm pretty sure it's the stratosphere if it's posted in its forum. Considering this, it was a mid range device when it was released, now it's more low end.

I see where you are coming from with the memory issue. My first Android was an Optimus s, with 100mb of memory and 512mb of ram.

Anyway when you move your apps to your sdcard, are you using a specific app or are you doing it right from the applications menu?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

pghlesbian

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
It is a Stratosphere - because of a disability, I need a real keyboard so while I can upgrade in August, I'm unsure if I can find something useful for me.

My SD card has 7.4 GB Available is 6.91

System storage is 4.0 GB Available is 1.53

I transfer photos as often as possible. I have a lot of contacts (12 years worth) synching with Google. And I synch 3 Google email addresses (I could eliminate 1.) I also empty my cache every evening. I run quite a few apps - I'm unclear how "many" is too many but I have FB, Hootsuite, BufferApp, all the social media apps (not duplicates - I don't have Twitter since I use Hootsuite.) I have a feeder app and several retail apps. No games.

When I transfer apps to the sd card, I use the applications menu. But then I read that was a problem.

The entire scenario repeated itself last night - I used the USB cable to charge the phone and then later in the evening, I wasn't able to use the browser or Hootsuite or pretty much anything but FB. I tried deleting the cache, etc but I kept getting error messages and forced closes while trying to solve the problem. I pulled the battery. Finally, I turned it off and went to bed. Today, it seems fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38