Android Central v3 Site Design Goes Live !!!

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
It's our third major visual change to the site since Android Central has been around. Still a lot more great updates coming, but we just couldn't wait longer and wanted to push live with what we had. Think of us like Google ... always in Beta and improving, so expect to see changes and improvements continue to pour in. We can't wait to hear the feedback from the community - our ongoing goal is to continue to be the No. 1 Community and Resource for All Things Android, so you need to keep telling us what you want to see.

Redesign Highlights:

In addition to updating the site with a cleaner look that helps put the focus on the content, we focused on three main things in the user experience: Speed of Use, Ease of Use and More Integration between our editorial and community forum content.

Site-wide

• Header: The site header scraps the heavy images for a faster loading and cleaner look. Notice the link to Android Central's updated FREE Wallpaper Gallery and the additional links to the forums. Be sure to put the From the forums: Newest Post link to use!
  • Sidebar: We also narrowed down the side bar, giving more room for article content on the blogs and even more room for viewing posts in the forums for logged out users (remember, if you register with Android Central you get full width browsing in the forums!). The new sidebar also shows the latest articles and forum threads on the site, helping you to stay up to date no matter where you are.

The blog

• Featured Stories: The homepage gets a big update! At the top of the site are our featured stories. These are important stories you won't want to miss, so we put them up there so you'll never miss them. Going down the page, we now have a variety of article teaser formats that help differentiate the content.
  • Dashboard: We've updated our recently introduced "dashboard". All stories now appear by default on the homepage. Be sure to click the little icon for List View - if you're a power user and don't want to miss any content on the site, this gives you Google Reader-like functionality. You can pull in tons of headlines and once and instantly expand headlines to get the image and full teaser. And don't forget, tabbing over to Discussions gives you a window to the latest posts from our forum community.
  • Comments / User Pages: We've cleaned up comments to articles and we're now pulling in member avatars! Also new, if you click on the avatar or username for a member you'll go to their profile page which shows the latest article comments and forum posts by that member. We have a lot more planned for this area of the site, but this a great step forward.
  • Wallpaper Gallery: Re-skinned and widened out to match the new look of the site!

Android Central Forums

• A New, Clean Look: Perhaps the biggest change with this relaunch are the revamped forums. Based on the feedback our community gave us, we really cleaned up the look and the user experience. We took some inspiration from our friends at Google (and Google +) here to come up with a clean look that highlights the most important content and forum functions on the page and still keep less-frequently used features and content easily accessible and discoverable.
  • Forum Super Navigation: At the top of the forums we've added a new layer of "super navigation" which includes both a dedicated forums search and also a search for finding any forum on the site. Just start typing and a list of all forums will appear. We also have links to popular forums here and the trending block which only appeared on the forums homepage previously is now on every page of the forums. For logged in users, we've also added buttons so you can easily get to your latest posts and threads.

Working on this forums revamp we already have our to do list for our next forums upgrade. There's so much more to come. So join today and get posting and enjoy all the good times ahead.

From myself, Cory Streater, all the mods and advisers (and let's face it, they work harder than we do) and everyone else at Android Central, thanks for making this the best, most helpful and friendliest Android site around. Cheers, everybody.

Pkt_Lnt

yes, that old
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Too much white. Whiter, brighter, newer, better, cleaner. Ugh. Give me some muted shades of something other than glaring white........

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Too much white. Whiter, brighter, newer, better, cleaner. Ugh. Give me some muted shades of something other than glaring white........

overall, it is a nice improvement. I like some of the new navigation and the like but....

I agree with the above poster, it is too eye-blindingly white...., can we get a CSS toggle somewhere to a few darker shades....

CrackBerry Kevin

Mobile Nations Chief Media Officer
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey All, Keep the feedback and bug reports coming! We're listening to everything and will be working fast to fix any bugs up. We already have a nice little to do list we'll be tackling over the next 24 hours.

Reactions: FrankXS and davey11

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Uh the bold and italic tags no workie :)

Good find...

It appears to be working in the editor but doesn't materialize when the post is published.

Edit: I have made note of this to Administration so they can get it resolved. Thanks again for the bug find.

Last edited:
Reactions: davey11

RoboWarrior

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
This may seem irrelavent but when are you going to redesign the android central mobile app? Right now its glitchy and isn't designed very well. I like the new look for the desktop anyway

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This may seem irrelavent but when are you going to redesign the android central mobile app? Right now its glitchy and isn't designed very well. I like the new look for the desktop anyway

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

I can't speak on behalf of AC's design team for the app but Phil did mention it will be updated to support the new release of Tapatalk v2.0 and as far as bugs are concerned they are using vanilla Tapatalk to my knowledge so whatever is present "glitch" speaking is probably also present in normal Tapatalk.

CrackBerry Kevin

Mobile Nations Chief Media Officer
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey All,

Quick favor: for those who are thinking the forums are "too bright" can you do me a favor and actually LOG OUT and take a stroll through the forums as well?

When you're logged out, you get the sidebar on right side of the forums.

Have a theory that's it's just when you're logged in and the side bar disappears and the forums widen up that you some may get the feeling of too much white. With the sidebar present thought, it evens things out and you don't have that feeling at all. If I'm right on the theory, have some ideas of things we can do....

Don't worry, we'll get it perfect. That's the goal!