if I allow ads, it takes 32 seconds to load www.androidcentral.com.. without ads, it takes 4 seconds

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
I guess I have no choice but to stop visiting Android Central | Android Forums, News, Reviews, Help and Android Wallpapers from now on.. :(

If I disable adblockers, the main page, Android Central | Android Forums, News, Reviews, Help and Android Wallpapers takes 32 seconds to finish loading.

If I enable adblockers(any of the 5 most popular ones in Chrome extension store), the page takes just 4 seconds to finish loading.

I don't know if there's some bug with Android Central or not, but their sister site, imore.com doesn't have this problem.

If I disable adblockers, the main page, iMore | The #1 site for iPhone, iPad, Mac, and all things Apple! takes 9 seconds to finish loading. (23 seconds faster than Android Central | Android Forums, News, Reviews, Help and Android Wallpapers)

If I enable adblockers(any of the 5 most popular ones in Chrome extension store), iMore | The #1 site for iPhone, iPad, Mac, and all things Apple! takes just 6 seconds to finish loading.

Etyrnus

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I made a similar observation. Disappointing. Begging us to whitelist but then hosting poorly optimized, irrelevant, and space wasting ads. Seriously, with adblocking disabled, the ads carry on almost twice as far down the page as the content.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a thread about this too. Mobile nations (AC) wants you to DL some random software and track bad apps FOR them and report them.
Meanwhile, the site is nearly useless without an AdBlock.
The pages almost never finish loading. 3rd party trackers cripple the browser, and AC/Mobile Nations thinks this is OK.
Seriously AC. Stop blaming your users for your poor optimization and Ad Spamming.
Ads are fine, but the 9000 ads per page leaves the user with the option of Not using your site at all, or using AdBlock.
If AC/iMore etc make it where you can't use the site if you have an Adblocker. I will simply delete the sites from my browser favorites and use other sites.

bizzyqu

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what has happened to crackberry and android central, the sites just dont feel the same anymore, and this kind of heavy hand against adblockers isn't really helping fight that feeling.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
Shouldn't iMore and AndroidCentral be maintained by the same people? If so, why does iMore load so much faster than AndroidCentral?(when adblocker is disabled)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a thread about this too. Mobile nations (AC) wants you to DL some random software and track bad apps FOR them and report them.
Meanwhile, the site is nearly useless without an AdBlock.
The pages almost never finish loading. 3rd party trackers cripple the browser, and AC/Mobile Nations thinks this is OK.
Seriously AC. Stop blaming your users for your poor optimization and Ad Spamming.
Ads are fine, but the 9000 ads per page leaves the user with the option of Not using your site at all, or using AdBlock.
If AC/iMore etc make it where you can't use the site if you have an Adblocker. I will simply delete the sites from my browser favorites and use other sites.
Where are you getting this?

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes it's bad but you guys do know there is an app, right?

Just use that it's free

There is NOT an AC app for iPhone, which I have since there is no such thing as a Note currently.
And WHY would I want to read the site on a small phone screen when I am sitting in front of a 27" monitor?

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Where are you getting this?

Directly from YOUR post on my thread. Here: install this garbage on your machine.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/si...hat-wrong-ac-imore-windows-central-sites.html

The comments go on to say the site performing badly is because Users tell you that it runs poorly, then since we don't want to install Junkware on our computer, the site running poorly is OUR fault.
Someone even called it out in the comments section.
MN knows how poorly this site is without adblock. If you don't, uninstall the adblock from your browser and surf this site like a normal user for a few days. Bet the adblock will be turned back on within 2 days. The pages never stop loading. The ads cause the browser to get lost and you have to refresh the page and try again and again to get all the ads loaded.
Scrolling lags and hitches. Audio ads come blaring in on their own since they are allowed to Auto Play and you have to look all over the place to find out which one of the 16 video ads are the culprit. Half of those you can't silence without muting the computer.

as I said before, it is not my computer. I am running a beast of a machine and i do Not have these issues on other sites like Appleinsider, BGR, 9to5Mac, 9to5Google, engadget, slashgear, etc etc etc etc etc

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
There are no banners on the app

Please don't make stuff up

just opened up the app... there are banners and most are the
black ones that say "Get it on Google Play" or are those not
considered "banner ads" ? and if the article referenced Amazon,
then I see a banner bar at the very bottom of the screen.

According to the firewall app, these ads attempted to access
the following IP addresses: (but the firewall blocked them)
72.21.195.99:443
polldaddy.com
104.16.18.29:80
edge-star-shv-01-iad3.facebook.com
31.136.9.245:443
74.6.34.28:443
64.94.107.61:80
31.13.69.245:443
64.94.107.24:80

just tested this on both the Verizon Pixel XL, Samsung
Galaxy Note5 and Axon 7.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Directly from YOUR post on my thread. Here: install this garbage on your machine.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/si...hat-wrong-ac-imore-windows-central-sites.html

The comments go on to say the site performing badly is because Users tell you that it runs poorly, then since we don't want to install Junkware on our computer, the site running poorly is OUR fault.
Someone even called it out in the comments section.
MN knows how poorly this site is without adblock. If you don't, uninstall the adblock from your browser and surf this site like a normal user for a few days. Bet the adblock will be turned back on within 2 days. The pages never stop loading. The ads cause the browser to get lost and you have to refresh the page and try again and again to get all the ads loaded.
Scrolling lags and hitches. Audio ads come blaring in on their own since they are allowed to Auto Play and you have to look all over the place to find out which one of the 16 video ads are the culprit. Half of those you can't silence without muting the computer.

as I said before, it is not my computer. I am running a beast of a machine and i do Not have these issues on other sites like Appleinsider, BGR, 9to5Mac, 9to5Google, engadget, slashgear, etc etc etc etc etc

Nowhere in there does it say to install anything or that users are causing lag, etc. It asked for users help to report bad ads via a web form (because the moderators can't fix it) and we received a resounding, "no" to that request - which caused us to stop asking for help.

This is why I asked the question you just quoted, because I've never seen anyone tell anyone to install malware on their machines in order to get through browsing AC and would like to investigate that claim. The link you shared doesn't contain any such thing and I'm unclear on why you think that I said anything of the kind.

Please understand that you can email james@mobilenations.com if you have further issues with the site or if you think that the moderators, myself included, are telling you to do dangerous or stupid things or in any other way treating you unfairly.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There are no banners on the app

I think you guys might be talking about two different apps. The forums app doesn't have any ads, while there are a few in the big AC app that has everything in it. I use the forums app and Chrome on the desktop and do not personally see the giant performance issues, but there's definitely something going on with the browser site as indicated by all of these threads.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I think you guys might be talking about two different apps. The forums app doesn't have any ads, while there are a few in the big AC app that has everything in it. I use the forums app and Chrome on the desktop and do not personally see the giant performance issues, but there's definitely something going on with the browser site as indicated by all of these threads.

Correct, my apologies I forgot there is two of them. I don't get banner ads on the AC app for Android.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
Please understand that you can email james@mobilenations.com if you have further issues with the site or if you think that the moderators, myself included, are telling you to do dangerous or stupid things or in any other way treating you unfairly.

I love Android Central and want to support it as much as I can.

However, having to wait an extra 28 seconds to load a page after turning off the adblocker is a bit much... :( I'm looking at the adblocker icon on the top right of my screen and it showed 37 ads had been blocked on this page alone. (while the main page www . androidcentral. com shows 19 ads blocked)

I would actually prefer to be a paid AC member and avoid seeing ads completely. Probably $5 a month? I've been paying Google (YouTube Red Family Plan) $14.95 each month for a long time just so my entire family can watch *any* YouTube video without having to watch commercials on my PC, Apple TV, smartphone.. or anywhere else.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I love Android Central and want to support it as much as I can.

However, having to wait an extra 28 seconds to load a page after turning off the adblocker is a bit much... :( I'm looking at the adblocker icon on the top right of my screen and it showed 37 ads had been blocked on this page alone. (while the main page www . androidcentral. com shows 19 ads blocked)

I would actually prefer to be a paid AC member and avoid seeing ads completely. Probably $5 a month? I've been paying Google (YouTube Red Family Plan) $14.95 each month for a long time just so my entire family can watch *any* YouTube video without having to watch commercials on my PC, Apple TV, smartphone.. or anywhere else.

This app does not have ads at all https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.androidcentral.app&token=vfscY-EG

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I love Android Central and want to support it as much as I can.However, having to wait an extra 28 seconds to load a page after turning off the adblocker is a bit much... :( I'm looking at the adblocker icon on the top right of my screen and it showed 37 ads had been blocked on this page alone. (while the main page www . androidcentral. com shows 19 ads blocked)I would actually prefer to be a paid AC member and avoid seeing ads completely. Probably $5 a month? I've been paying Google (YouTube Red Family Plan) $14.95 each month for a long time just so my entire family can watch *any* YouTube video without having to watch commercials on my PC, Apple TV, smartphone.. or anywhere else.
I agree with you approximately 100% - no one on the forums team likes the current state and we want to see it fixed - I've actually suggested, as have other members, the subscription model with zero ads as well. As a moderator, the number of times we're clicking in and out of threads, not having any of those scripts running would be awesome. I also subscribe to the same plan for YT and GPM, that's by far my preferred model as opposed to ad supported.