Unlocking your smartphone will soon be illegal, and other DMCA new rule insanity

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Found this to be a little disturbing.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/unlocking-your-smartphone-will-soon-be-illegal-and-other-new-dmca-rule-insanity/?redirect_override=true

slickestsauce

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I sincerely doubt this is going to stop any current hackers so much as it's going to POSSIBLY prevent a small portion of newbies from giving it a go. PLENTY of things are illegal and people still do them anyway. Until modded phones scream "I'VE BEEN HACKED" every 5 minutes and call attention to the fact you've done something illegal there's very little incentive to leave a device stock if you know what you're doing.

Montigusto

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
That's just getting a bit stupid isn't it? Just looks like politicking to me...

Besides - how would they even enforce that?? It doesn't seem like anything much to get worried about. I mean people have been ripping rented DVDs for years, it's not going to stop. More anti-piracy protection is just a new challenge to be beaten... hacker types love that stuff!

Avenger

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
They have to be able to catch you, then they have to be able to prove damages/loss. Good luck doing that. This won't work, and people will not stop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa