cd /system/app

To see a list of the apps installed
Code:
ls -a

To remove an app
Code:
rm Sprint_NFL.*
This will remove both the apk and the compiled odex binary for Sprint NFL

I would be very selective with what I remove. At first I basically wiped out anything I didn't want, and got many errors. Here's what I've removed with no bad result:

Stock.apk
Stock.odex
Sprint_NFL.apk
Sprint_Nscar.apk
amazonmp3.apk
HtcFootprints.apk
HtcFootprints.odex
HtcFootprintsWidget.apk
HtcFootprintsWidget.odex

I would imagine Sprint TV and it's widget could be added to the list as well, but I decided I may use them. I would be leery of removing peep, IM, Sprint_Nav, and Gtalk.

Discuss :D

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
hope we can get this done on the moto droid.. love to remove some vzw bloated crud. any clue when this will happen?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
It's close. There is a kernel bug that SHOULD grant root access. Right now myself and about 50 other people are trying to build a little script to inject some code. Trust me...when it happens any website with the words Android Verizon or Droid will have it plastered all over it :)

Look for a 30 page thread at the top of the droid forum here when it does lol.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Your certainly welcome. I've found tech support in general works much better if you try to explain it in easy to understand terms.

Glad I could be of help.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
im doing something wrong i think, when i try and remove an app such as nfl it says rm failed for sprint_nfl.*, read-only file system

Do you get an error when you try this:

adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

That's the part of the above code that tells the device to remount the file system as read/write.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure why Peep wants to keep running. Until someone can verify what it's doing in the background, I don't see the need to pull it out.

The Market needs Gtalk to be working.
Gtalk needs part of IM to work.
I actually use the IM app so I haven't investigated which parts (there are 6) of the app are needed and which aren't, so I can't recommend removing any of it :)

Ali Fazel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
I was mainly just curious about IM. I'd like to use it, but it pulls an incomplete and out of date buddy list for aim.

Peep, on the other hand, I have found useless as a Twitter client simply because I prefer Seesmic.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae