What do I have to learn in order to start developing ROMs for my own Android device?

Jason Cruz

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I am using a HP Slate 7 tablet that I know how to get rooted, but choose not to because I only want to install Titanium Backup once I find a good ROM to replace my current one. I know about the AOSP. As of now there are no developments for this device, although I know nothing about programing I would like to learn. I have spent a lot of time searching the web for information, and I have found some information, and I am ready to take it to the next level.

If you could help me answer these questions, it would really do wonders for my progress.

1. If I a looking to build a custom ROM for my device, do I need to know Android development? Because when I search for Android development, usually I find guides to creating "Android Applications". But I don't know if these guides will help me learn how to build my own version of Android from the ground up. In that case, where do I go to learn this? (Kitchens haven't helped me either)

2. Are there any programming languages to learn? I am a dedicated person looking to benefit the Android world by dedicating myself to helping people root and create custom ROMs for the HP Slate 7.

3. How do I get to the level of someone like Jay Freeman (saurik) who is able to find exploits for any device? Is there anything in particular that I need to learn?

How do I create my own ROM that is tailored to my device (which has all the drivers and the UI modifications to make it smooth)? I see Cyanogenmod being used on other devices, some with even lesser RAM that the Slate, but can run much smoother. I know about overclocking, but these are UI modifications designed to make the OS smoother. How do I go about creating them? Is it just about learning programming languages and copying other people's source code?

I really don't want to be an ***** but my end goal is to be able to build ROMs and release it to the open source world that is tailored to my own device. Sorry for asking so much questions, but I have read a lot of info on the web but have no idea as to how to make sense of it all. I am a really confused person.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am using a HP Slate 7 tablet that I know how to get rooted, but choose not to because I only want to install Titanium Backup once I find a good ROM to replace my current one. I know about the AOSP. As of now there are no developments for this device, although I know nothing about programing I would like to learn. I have spent a lot of time searching the web for information, and I have found some information, and I am ready to take it to the next level.

If you could help me answer these questions, it would really do wonders for my progress.

1. If I a looking to build a custom ROM for my device, do I need to know Android development? Because when I search for Android development, usually I find guides to creating "Android Applications". But I don't know if these guides will help me learn how to build my own version of Android from the ground up. In that case, where do I go to learn this? (Kitchens haven't helped me either)

2. Are there any programming languages to learn? I am a dedicated person looking to benefit the Android world by dedicating myself to helping people root and create custom ROMs for the HP Slate 7.

3. How do I get to the level of someone like Jay Freeman (saurik) who is able to find exploits for any device? Is there anything in particular that I need to learn?

How do I create my own ROM that is tailored to my device (which has all the drivers and the UI modifications to make it smooth)? I see Cyanogenmod being used on other devices, some with even lesser RAM that the Slate, but can run much smoother. I know about overclocking, but these are UI modifications designed to make the OS smoother. How do I go about creating them? Is it just about learning programming languages and copying other people's source code?

I really don't want to be an ***** but my end goal is to be able to build ROMs and release it to the open source world that is tailored to my own device. Sorry for asking so much questions, but I have read a lot of info on the web but have no idea as to how to make sense of it all. I am a really confused person.

Welcome to the forums.
I don't know much myself, but I am pretty sure you would need to know Java at least. Apps and I believe ROMs are both built of that. It would be good to know how apps run, because if they are failing on your ROM, you need to know why.

The thing about custom ROMs is most people made them for themselves, and then others saw what they did and asked how to put it on.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non