Android 6.0.1 Unable to set custome notifications

A

AC Question

Hi I have a Sony Xperia Z3 compact. Just upgraded it to Android v6.0.1 (Marshmallow). I now find I cannot set a custom notification. Evertime I select a different notification it simply changes back to the default notification. This worked OK prior to upgrade to Marshamallow. Anyone any ideas.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are your custom tones in the Notifications directory on Internal Storage?

Coastguard Clive

May 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi. thanks for getting back the tones are stored on my SD card. Does this make a difference as it worked fine before phone was upgrade to Marshmallow a couple of days ago?

Coastguard Clive

May 23, 2016
Visit site
Just tried copying an mp3 file across to the internal memory and it doesn't work. I set it as the notification tone but when I come out of settings and go back in it has returned back to the default ring tone (Tinkerbell).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Custom tones on the SD card tend to cause problems. Did you copy the mp3 file to the Notifications directory in Internal Storage? If so, and if it wasn't showing up, try rebooting the phone--that's what used to be required on my old Razr Maxx.

Coastguard Clive

May 23, 2016
Visit site
Tried coping the mp3 file from SD Card to internal memory and then re-booting with no success (I have done this previously but thought I would give it one more go. I then selected the mp3 file, then set it as notification tone and select done, it then shows the mp3 file I set. I then come out of settings but when I go back into settings it has reverted to the default tone. As I said before it was working fine when I was using Android version 5.1.1. But a few days ago it was upgraded to Android version 6.0.1 ad since then I have not been able to change the notification tone. So beginning to suspect that the upgrade is some how incompatible with WhatsApp. Thanks for your help anyway.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is this only happening when you try to set a custom notification for WhatsApp? How about for any other app, like your stock Messaging app?

ORA1

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Just got my upload to marsh mellowScreenshot_20160526-124751.png now and it works beautifully.
But a week ago i had another download which took about 3 hours, this one about 30 min.

ORA1

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Not yet. I went through almost all the different aspects and found some nice new exciting stuff.
Like the camera section with different aspects and ways to get new exciting shots.
Noticed new set of ringtones.
Custome notifications, i get notifications in the messages section , no problem, like before
But all my stuff which is basically gmail, whattsapp, phone, contacts and sms all work perfectly.
All my internet stuff, FB and many other forums, all work well.
I did have one local radio site which Sony told me i should reload as the one on the phone crashed.
Did the reload and all fine
I also put the music on and played through a head phone as well as the ph speakers, all fine.
Not to say i wont get a problem later, but as i said i got the first OTA a few weeks ago, and now today another one, a shorter one to full 6.01
I might just be lucky and got a debugged one.

AmmarChili

May 31, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are your custom tones in the Notifications directory on Internal Storage?

Thanks al lot this step was successful i was able to copy and paste the custom notification tone in my internal storage in the notification folder and i was able to change the tone in settings thanks for the help.
With Regards
Ammar...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member