Micro SD format for Z3? NTFS, FAT or exFAT

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
From what I know NTFS is not really recognised on Android.

Best thing to do is put in the phone got Settings -> Storage -> Erase SD Card (format in other words) that way you know it works with the phone.

Wollombi

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Stick to FAT32 and pretty much any device you want to use it in will read it. I have 128GB cards in my Z3 and Z2 tablet, and they came pre-formatted in FAT32. Inserted in each device and was working with no problems.

Android to date doesn't read or recognize NTFS, without serious modding (root, 3rd party hacks, etc).

Aside from NTFS, exFAT is probably the next least likely candidate for your Android devices.

Keep it simple. You will still have plenty of space and life will be easier.

Geoffrey Morrison

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! This crazy new card (Excelvan SDHC 64GB) used exFAT, and neither my tablet nor Debian File Manager could mount/open it. It was detected by Debian 7.x/gparted, nonetheless. I used gparted to format to FAT32, and it does now open and accepts tunes from my PC (Debian 7.x). The tab reads it, too--so far. Before, the Kingpad 7 indicated "Safe to unmount"--after attempting to mount it. (Apparently, that implies that it was rejected.)

Always, I prefer open source--where possible: I'd like to attempt format, instead, to EXT4. I hardly use Win at all. (Gparted saved the day, after all: I should have landed here first before formatting in the first place.) If someone gets hold of the tab or card, they'd likely curse me when their PC/laptop won't mount the card.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

htc0076969

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Same here 128 gb no problem plus all my videos and music etc the 32 not worthy plus best buy had 128 gb on sale for 69 bucks and was a SanDisk brand ultra plus my rewards points helped too

Posted via the Android Central App xperia z3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89