SDXdevelopers saying August 20th...

hampstenj

May 8, 2010
Visit site
SDX tonight is reporting that THEY have a source who wishes to remain anonymous has confirmation from Samsung as well as Sprint corporate that the date for Epic Launch is August 20th..

Confirmed: Epic 4G releases August 20th

I don't know what to believe now... but i think we can nail it down to a timeframe between the 11th and the 20th but either way it's this month..

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I personally think its the 20th, but hoping its the 11th. I'd be content with both, but obviously, sooner the better. SDX hasn't really stayed current with the epic as of late, so I would take what they say with a grain of salt.

mb79

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
20th works for me. My 30 days is up on the Bold (that I bought because there were no EVO's, but then I bought an EVO for retail at Walmart, and I'll be taking that back too...probably) on August 22. So, I will be able to exchange in time.

it.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I know there have been a million rumors out there that haven't come true but I have a gut feeling this is the real deal. A couple weeks back, Engadget also said the 20th. Plus, its a Friday which is when Sprint usually releases their phones (the Evo was launched on a Friday)
Engadget: "On August 20th, at 4:30PM Eastern Standard Time, Samsung will show off the Epic 4G smartphone on their television support website. Why is this of interest to you? Simply because the last two times the company did such a thing -- for the Vibrant and Captivate, respectively -- these infomercials all but coincided with the phones' planned release date.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
After reading the post, the member sounds like he could be in the know, but doesn't have anything to back up his statements. I'm not saying he's lying, but doesn't even have credit to his statement as he's anonymous and no other reports to have come true. I hope he's right, but it would make more sense for them to release the 11th, and there are other units floating around out there other than the advocate units. I personally don't think there will be a 11th release though, cause that's just too close to know and not have said anything (but then again the Droid 2 is launching the 12th, with no official release stated by VZW yet).

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
If you think about it. The 20th gives you 9 less days to have the EPIC and wait for the bug fixes.

Meh, I can live with bugs for 9 days. As long as it doesn't explode in my pants and I'm missing a ball, like another poster suggested. I have a backup for now, but I realize not many will.

nc2nc2

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I speculate that the 20th was the original date. Yet, competitiveness drove sprint and samsung to push for the 11th; so as to beat the torch and possibly the droid 2 to the market. Their endeavors were most likely spoiled when a software glitch of some sort was found. Now, they are frantically fixing the issue and may soft launch the phone on the 11th if said glitch is repaired, or can be made available via update a short time after (much like the evo). The 20th, is a solid release date, and allows Sammy and Sprint to submit the software fix to manufacturing. This is purely conjecture and my outright lust for this phone has driven my imagination to draw such a conclusion.

Again is total BS that I am spewing.
Give me a release date Sprint, or you may soon lose a customer you never had.

Phone#IM

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone think that the reason the Epic is being held up is since the Galaxy S phones on Tmobile and ATT had the GPS issues and maybe Sprint wants Samsung to fix it before they release it on their carrier??

I actually think that is why we have not heard any solid info on release.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone think that the reason the Epic is being held up is since the Galaxy S phones on Tmobile and ATT had the GPS issues and maybe Sprint wants Samsung to fix it before they release it on their carrier??

I doubt it. Verizon is pretty strict with their testing and they released the GS. Sprint also released the Samsung Moment, and it also has the bug.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I doubt it. Verizon is pretty strict with their testing and they released the GS. Sprint also released the Samsung Moment, and it also has the bug.

Ahem, the Fascinate hasn't been released, and is much further from release than the Epic. This is a possibility, but I hope not. I like GPS, but it isn't mandatory for me right now. I'm not traveling anytime soon.

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

Nah, the GPS issues threads seem confused. Some people are talking about the magnometer, others about issues very common to all smartphones with GPS.

The main issue is clearly ticking network on in gps settings which maybe off by default or some people may be turning off directl or indirectly to save battery. Once this is ticked GPS seems to be working exactly on par with others. Looking at the speed the nubmer of sats locked from flushed cache and aGPS enabled it locks same speed and number of sats as Tre Pro and touch pro 2.

The GPS sat receiver is definitely robust and as strong as competitors.

I am looking at EVO and EPIC and do care about GPS so this is something I looked into and did some checking on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty