Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
So... I have my Epic. Nothing crazy is running on it (rooted yes).

Facebook syncs once a day for contacts.
Gmail is push.
Exchange Email is push.
Auto-Sync and Background Data enabled.
ADW instead of Touchwiz launcher.
Seesmic is set to update every 4 hours.
WiFi is off.
BT is off.
Never used 4G (have it here).
GPS and Network location off.

I am consistently dead in 4-5 hours every day.

Burnt through my Main and SPARE battery from 7:30 am to 5:00 today.

Any other stories like this?

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Two more possible culprits...

Sports Tap was updating two MLB teams every 60 minutes.
Quick Calendar was updating every 5 minutes (most likely culprit).

njfoses

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Two more possible culprits...

Sports Tap was updating two MLB teams every 60 minutes.
Quick Calendar was updating every 5 minutes (most likely culprit).

Very similiar to my wife's epic. Barely any usage and totally dead after 7 hours. I did notice it shows her screen as using 24% battery and it shows it was on for close to an hour which it wasnt. It also shows time without service at 26% which shouldnt be as service is great where she is during the day. Im probably going to reset the phone tonight not and see what happens.

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Voice Calls 49% (29 minutes)
Display 32% (1h 17m 18s)
Cell Standby 12% (Time on 8h 56m 30s, also time without a signal is 59%, huh....)
Phone Idle 3% (4h 4m 30s)
Android System 2% (CPU usage 11m 19s, CPU Foreground 37s)

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Kill adw and all its widgets. Use tw or the stock launcher for a while and see what happens.

This phone sees to be able to eat battery when it wants to, but my worst case drain is basically what you are describing.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

karnovaran

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Did you remove everything from the TouchWiz desktop before switching to ADW? That's been a problem with Blur - letting it run dozens of widgets in the background.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
My battery has been running low a bit lately, but I think it's due to the new battery. Didn't you get an Epic pre-release or something? If so, you either have a defective unit, you're running a massive amount of widgets and apps (which I believe you aren't) or you happen, by chance, to have two defective batteries in hand.

evoKY

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
My wife is having the same exact issue....did a hard reset tonight and if it doesn't get any better will have to exchange it

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
My battery has been running low a bit lately, but I think it's due to the new battery. Didn't you get an Epic pre-release or something? If so, you either have a defective unit, you're running a massive amount of widgets and apps (which I believe you aren't) or you happen, by chance, to have two defective batteries in hand.

Its not a pre release unit.

I believe it's the unit itself. I've had 4 Android devices and I've ROM dev'd before. This isn't my first dance. I personally think after investigating this a bit more, there are some badly flashed devices.

If this is the case for you, hit up twitter and let @samsungtweets know!

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, having the same issue. Batter almost didn't make it through the work day; and, I barely used it today. I noticed that the RAM was at 269 of 325. Should it be so high? Is that just mainly the OS using up most of the ram? There are no programs running in the active applications menu.

The only widgets I have running are the accuclock and google search.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Did you remove everything from the TouchWiz desktop before switching to ADW? That's been a problem with Blur - letting it run dozens of widgets in the background.

You can totally kill tw on the epic. It doesn't run in the background anymore, AFAK

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. Now the ram is in the 290 area; doesn't seem right to me. I haven't even really messed with the phone since I posted that either. Didn't run anything on it besides some text messaging.

funeralplanner

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Mine is running ram into the 260's and my display is at 53% . Now I try to adjust settings and it won't budge off of 53%. This is my first android phone so I'm not sure how to fix it because adjusting brightness won't work at all. Thanks for the help.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
My first android as well. (How do you update software; is there a program for the computer like my Blackberry had Blackberry desktop; or, is it all OTA).

After you adjusted the brightness you plugged it in and then unplugged it again the reset the usage statistics?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member