I hate to say it but...

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I think I am going to turn my epic in for either an EVO or go back to my Iphone.

I have never had so many problems with a phone before... this is getting a little rediculous. I wanted to get away from my iphone because I was sick of the operating system but at least it was reliable.

I am on my second epic and it just seems like it will never be right.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Posts like this irk me and are completely useless. Let me go to an internet forum and post some BS and not explain anything. What problems are you having. Without stating this, its pretty much just a rant, and not a good one. There is plenty this phone can handle that the neither the Evo or iPhone can touch. By far the best phone I've ever had after just not being impressed with the Evo. I think of the Evo as a Hero with a processor that can finally handle sense... and nothing else.

egeorge1

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had some issues myself, but so far most have been from user error as I'm new to Android and smartphones in general. Things I thought were wrong with the phone often turned out to be my fault. Some other complaints were easily resolved by downloading an app. I'm not saying you aren't getting faulty phones, every manufacturer is going to have duds that need replacing, but I too think this post is pointless complaining that seems to be trying to generalize the Epic as a bad device which it definitely is not.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
The only issue I'm having now is getting my underclock working when the screen is off. Nothing else.

Sent from my awesome Samsung Epic 4g

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I think I am going to turn my epic in for either an EVO or go back to my Iphone.

I have never had so many problems with a phone before... this is getting a little rediculous. I wanted to get away from my iphone because I was sick of the operating system but at least it was reliable.

I am on my second epic and it just seems like it will never be right.

As your user profile points out you are an "android newbie". Is it possible that some of the problems are do to user error?

I have learned a lot about android messing around with settings and tweaking the phone. Sometimes after installing a certain, some of my setting were chnaged or needed tweaking..

As Andrew pointed out it would be helpful if you would begin your post with a brief history on your experience with your Android Epic and what behaviors you experienced.

Was it hardware? Software Lag? Not supporting a fucntion you had in your iPhone?

More info..

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
OP, I am a Sprint, Android newbie, with my trusty iPhone 3Gs close by. I was impressed with the specs of the Epic and the potential of 4G and bored to death with the iPhone.

So far after 2 weeks with Sprint and the Epic I am an Android convert for sure but remain a Sprint skeptic as coverage in an around my home is spotty at best.

The only issue I've had has been battery life and juice defender seems to have that under control. My iPhone seems like a relic next to the Epic. And I was a slave to charging the iPhone as well.

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
As your user profile points out you are an "android newbie". Is it possible that some of the problems are do to user error?

I have learned a lot about android messing around with settings and tweaking the phone. Sometimes after installing a certain, some of my setting were chnaged or needed tweaking..

As Andrew pointed out it would be helpful if you would begin your post with a brief history on your experience with your Android Epic and what behaviors you experienced.

Was it hardware? Software Lag? Not supporting a fucntion you had in your iPhone?

More info..

Ok well my first phone thought it would be cool to reset ever 30 seconds. I did a factory reset and this did nothing... I also lost all my contacts and was not able to get them back through my gmail account.

I also get horrible upload speeds on 3g. Never better then 200kb.

auto correction does not work if you are just typing on the touch screen keyboard. only if you are using swipe.

Battery life completely sucks compared to my Iphone I was only charging once ever other day with my Iphone. I have done all the tricks to prolong battery life. And nothing I do seems to be able to get me past one day of use. I feel like I have to completely disable to the phone to even make it last a day.

I am praying to god that 2.2 makes this phone a lot better because if it doesn't... honestly I don't think I am going to keep it. Hopefully this happens before my 30 days are up.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok well my first phone thought it would be cool to reset ever 30 seconds. I did a factory reset and this did nothing... I also lost all my contacts and was not able to get them back through my gmail account.

I also get horrible upload speeds on 3g. Never better then 200kb.

auto correction does not work if you are just typing on the touch screen keyboard. only if you are using swipe.

Battery life completely sucks compared to my Iphone I was only charging once ever other day with my Iphone. I have done all the tricks to prolong battery life. And nothing I do seems to be able to get me past one day of use. I feel like I have to completely disable to the phone to even make it last a day.

I am praying to god that 2.2 makes this phone a lot better because if it doesn't... honestly I don't think I am going to keep it. Hopefully this happens before my 30 days are up.

Which iPhone? Every other day on anything earlier than a 4 would be quite a stretch.

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Which iPhone? Every other day on anything earlier than a 4 would be quite a stretch.

I had a primative 3G for 2 years... battery life was pretty good on it. I don't have any experience with the 3gs so I have no idea how good or bad the battery life was on that phone.

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Does everyone with battery issues have July batteries? My phone easily lasts an entire day (10-12 hours) for me. That includes calls, texts/emails, and some web browsing. My brother's Epic seems to die quicker, but I need to ask him what he's doing on it. I know mine has an 8/12/10 battery and his is a 7/20/10. Shouldn't make a difference, but you never know. Sprint coverage has always been lame inside my house, but once I go outside it jumps. Must be all of the concrete/steel we use in house in SoFla.

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I never use the GPS function but I heard that doesn't work either... but it makes me mad that it doesn't work properly even though I don't use it.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I had battery issues with my DINC from launch day in April.
5 phones later big red said it's a battery issue..duh...
No problems since.
Also, with the auto correct could swype have disabled it? Don't forget swype is beta.

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I had battery issues with my DINC from launch day in April.
5 phones later big red said it's a battery issue..duh...
No problems since.
Also, with the auto correct could swype have disabled it? Don't forget swype is beta.

I have no idea why auto correct doesn't work... it works with the physical keyboard... but if your typing on the touch screen it doesn't work. Its extremely anoying.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Does everyone with battery issues have July batteries? My phone easily lasts an entire day (10-12 hours) for me. That includes calls, texts/emails, and some web browsing. My brother's Epic seems to die quicker, but I need to ask him what he's doing on it. I know mine has an 8/12/10 battery and his is a 7/20/10. Shouldn't make a difference, but you never know. Sprint coverage has always been lame inside my house, but once I go outside it jumps. Must be all of the concrete/steel we use in house in SoFla.

That's what the Sprint rep told me on the phone after I told him my house was concrete block. Problem is that even within a few miles of my house the signal sucks. Say what you want about ATT in South Florida but their coverage and building penetration are oustanding.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea why auto correct doesn't work... it works with the physical keyboard... but if your typing on the touch screen it doesn't work. Its extremely anoying.

GPS works quickly and flawlessly on my phone, you might as well try it out before getting mad at the phone about it...

Also have you gone into the keyboard settings and looked for auto correct options? Maybe you have something turned off. For auto correct I downloaded swiftkey beta from the market. It auto corrects/predicts, and while it takes a little while to get used to it, once you do, it's really good at predicting what you're going to say and you can type out sentences in no time. For anything that you can't figure out how to get your phone to do, there's an app that will do it somewhere

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
GPS works quickly and flawlessly on my phone, you might as well try it out before getting mad at the phone about it...

Also have you gone into the keyboard settings and looked for auto correct options? Maybe you have something turned off. For auto correct I downloaded swiftkey beta from the market. It auto corrects/predicts, and while it takes a little while to get used to it, once you do, it's really good at predicting what you're going to say and you can type out sentences in no time. For anything that you can't figure out how to get your phone to do, there's an app that will do it somewhere

yes I did... I played with every setting. Actually playing with those settings is what caused me to brick my phone with it resetting every 30 seconds. Swift key sounds like a possible solution... can you still use swipe with it? and it works on the touch screen keyboard?