Question Notifications not showing pop-ups: Fixed but still confused

CamperJoe15

Feb 21, 2024
Visit site
Hey all. I am a new S24+ user coming from using an iPhone for 10 years. So far, it has been super fun to tinker around and customize everything. The things I like about Android are the same things I like about PC. However, this freedom over your system seems to always come with complications.

The problem: I would get notifications in the form of sound, the little icons in the top left, and when I swiped down to see the notification list. However, none of my apps (including important ones like Outlook) would show pop-up-style notifications. I eventually ended up using the fix in this article. However, I am still stumped as to why it did not work properly in the first place. Is this a common experience (not seeing pop-ups)? If not, does anyone have any insight into why pop-ups would not be showing properly? Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't currently have my Galaxy A32 5G in front of me -- only my Pixel 7 Pro, so the menus might be a little different. But try going to Settings>Apps, select an app (like Outlook), then tap Notifications. Now choose a notification category (like Mail), but make sure to tap the word "Mail" and not the toggle switch. Make sure it's set to Default and not Silent. Do you see a toggle for "Pop on screen" there?

CamperJoe15

Feb 21, 2024
Visit site
I don't use the Outlook app, but here's my setting on my S24 Ultra for Mail to get notifications.

Those are the settings I had, and I still didn't get pop-ups. I eventually had to enable notification categories and spend 30 minutes going through and manually allowing pop-ups for each app that needed them. At this point, I am looking less for a solution and more for an explanation.

I reset app preferences, system notifications were turned on, individual app notifications were all turned on, do not disturb and all other routines were off, battery saver mode was off, and background internet usage was on. I was still getting notifications; they just would not pop up on my screen.

Part of me wonders if the default for new OneUI 6.1 phones is to not show pop-ups. Has anyone here come from Apple/no phone at all? If you had an Android previously, the old notification settings might have migrated and overwritten the lack of notification categories.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Samsung has a lot of settings to go over and menus

But for outlook
Go here I'll circle in my screenshot
Why it happens, could be a transfer over or some things are not default and have to be enabled, Samsung/android like that
ed15fcbf0a4dee0806997d7f49d9f620.jpg
f3d6dd7e0eff99b876c5f6b9e14d7f36.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If you really want to through menus for notifications

Lot of stuff for settings and menus but first try the first one for outlook and then can go through these menus at some time

Settings>notifications>make sure where I circled all apps are allowed by taping to get to those menus
5585867f1a863bbf25d2f6011ee381f3.jpg
1d133b22c3d55931e60e90e4469d283a.jpg
bd7310a3da98b5d096b8c0c7e49d7fa6.jpg