Sprint ID

md1032

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
NO NO NO NO WHY!!!!!!

can any one who has used sprint id tell me if it can be turned off in the settings. i bought my epic as the way it was on the shelf, i like touchwiz, i really like it. thats what i wanted. i don't want to have to root and hack my phone to restore it to the device that i bought, maybe im thinking way to into this but it sounds like its going to add a TUN of extra crap thats just going to slow down my phone and get in the way and change the feel of using the phone. a feel that i come to love. but one has to ask........ IS THIS WHY ITS TAKING SO LONG FOR FROYO...

thanks for any input.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the above posts, I don't even mind touchwiz. I finally cutomized my phone to look I want using launcherpro don't add more bloatware and homescreen to bog my phone down. I didnt feel like rooting was necessary but this might make it, unless I am missing the whole point or the functionality of what sprint id is.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there's going to be a way to turn it off. I don't think it does much but backup your screen setup for different "IDs". Kind of like sense has "profiles" I think is what its called where you have a network profile and a work profile. I don't have sense so I don't know the names of the profiles, I just saw it in an evo review. And I'm pretty sure u can turn the profiles on sense off

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

buzzardjrt

im going to be fair and give it a chance, i may be a nice thing. at this point i dont know, but i do know i do like to not judge things before trying. if there is a fee for downloading each "theme" then i know that is going to sway my call one way. especially since there are going to be multiple pieces that are being downloaded.

but we will see, if i dont like it im not going to worry about it much and just delete it or leave it closed.

this, like most other things, is not as big a deal as most make it out to be.

robbies7897

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree. I don't know if I'll like it or not, but if it bogs my phone down it's going off lol. I'll admit, I'm rooted, I was rooted with my Moment as well. I rooted to remove Sprint (and some Samsung) bloatware that did slow things down a bit. I also root because the developers at XDA and SDX are very good with updates, and deliver kernels and ROMs that Sprint and Samsung wish they could lol. However I will try the ID and if I don't like it, back to LauncherPro Plus!

rangers28

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but the thing that bothers me the most about this whole Sprint ID nonsense is that it seems to cheapen the Epic's image. These ID packs look like they belong on an entry level device and maybe be an option on midrange phones. The Epic should be considered a flagship device, like the Evo, and should be left alone. Like other posters have said, it screams "I'm a tech noob and have no idea how to customize my own phone!!!" I, personally, will still be using LauncherPro Plus, but just the fact that Sprint would be more concerned with putting this junk on a premium smartphone, instead of focusing on pushing Froyo to it, is troubling and just proves again that Sprint doesn't get it....

kristv

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
My daughter has a Transform which has Sprint ID, and it's not a launcher. It basically just installs apps and widgets according to the person's lifestyle and choice of ID, and there are themes associated with the ID's as well (for ringtones and wallpapers, etc.). It doesn't run in the background unless you download/install a specific ID. We uninstalled the ID that she'd originally gotten and put Launcher Pro Plus on it instead. It runs way smoother without a Sprint ID on it. I've read on other forums that the more ID's you install on the phone, the worse it gets (because each ID still runs in the background, even when you switch ID's!).

Nothing to see here, folks. Just don't use any Sprint ID's and you'll be fine. If you dislike seeing the icon in your apps list, root your phone and get rid of it. The purpose of it is to make life easier for folks who are unfamiliar with Android and don't know what apps to download to suit their taste. Think of it as app packs and themes for dummies. ;)

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but the thing that bothers me the most about this whole Sprint ID nonsense is that it seems to cheapen the Epic's image. These ID packs look like they belong on an entry level device and maybe be an option on midrange phones. The Epic should be considered a flagship device, like the Evo, and should be left alone. Like other posters have said, it screams "I'm a tech noob and have no idea how to customize my own phone!!!" I, personally, will still be using LauncherPro Plus, but just the fact that Sprint would be more concerned with putting this junk on a premium smartphone, instead of focusing on pushing Froyo to it, is troubling and just proves again that Sprint doesn't get it....

A majority of people that are buying smart phones are not tech geeks. Therefore putting this on the epic is something for sprint to advertise as features of the phone

And the evo has something similar. I though they're called profiles. They are like themes for "networks and friends" and "business"

nimhero

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Ummm I am pretty sure anything with SenseUI or Touchwiz will NOT have SprintID. HTC and Samsung have control over those UIs and I think its only an add on for vanilla phones. Unless I am mistaken.

Has anyone read or heard that it is for sure coming to our Epics, Evos, and Heros?

If so shoot a link.

Sent from my Epic 4g on Tapatalk Pro

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Ummm I am pretty sure anything with SenseUI or Touchwiz will NOT have SprintID. HTC and Samsung have control over those UIs and I think its only an add on for vanilla phones. Unless I am mistaken.

Has anyone read or heard that it is for sure coming to our Epics, Evos, and Heros?

If so shoot a link.

its definitely coming to the epic but not the evo or hero.
Sprint ID destined for the Galaxy Tab, Epic 4G | Dialed In - CNET Blogs

and it has nothing to do with tweaking the user interface. its only a group of apps and stuff related to the "id" you choose.
like a "sports" id will have espn and nfl style apps incorporated. maybe wallpapers too. idk everything that comes in it. but i know its not going to hinder anything that touchwiz does

Reactions: getaclue

acegolfer

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site

If so shoot a link.

I have seen reports saying sprint id will be added to tw.

rangers28

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
As long as it doesn't slow down my Epic, I'm fine with it, because I'm a LauncherPro fanboy now!!! I just don't think this belongs on a higher end phone, but I do see how it has its purpose on lower to midrange phones to get someone used to the whole personalization possibilities of these phones.