How Do Android Phones Receive Update Notifications?

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
What's up everybody. Im new to android so i was just curious as to how you update your phone (for example when galaxy s updates to android 2.2) Do you have to keep checking back to the update section in settings? or do you get a notification that its time to update automatically?

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
If you decide to wait for the OTA you'll get a notification that your phone is ready to update, click it and it'll do it for you.

Problem is, these OTA notifications aren't instantaneous across the board... they are issued as rolling updates across markets in order to not have the servers issuing the updates overloaded...

so you might get it when it's released, or you might get it 2, 3, or 4 days after it's issued. And there is no rhyme or reason to the updates... check out some of our previous update threads... I remember there was an instance where one guy was waiting a few days for the update for his Epic while his wife (or g/f, I don't remember) in the same house got it on her Epic either first day or close to it...

Just go into it with the understanding that just because there's an article on AC stating that the update has been released (which I am checking every day now at this point :cool:, and twice on Sundays :p), you could get the OTA that day, or a few days after or :eek: :( maybe even more than a few days after... makes us really appreciate all the posts explaining how to manually update the official releases... :D