The best calendar app?

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
What is the best? What do you like? I am sick to death of messing with stock android's inability to default to the google calendar and one way syncing only - I need a calendar that will sync both ways between phone and desktop. Help!

Last edited:

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
? I don't understand your question. The stock calendar in the Epic does sync both ways to Google Cal...I use it all the time. However, I use the Smooth Calendar Widget as my interface with it on the phone, but even without SC, I can add or edit calendar events either thru Google or on my phone. Did you activate your google account on the phone?

Jinded

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm a big fan of Business Calendar (currently in beta, but I've had no problems with it). But rando is right, you should be able to sync both ways with the stock app, and my default calendar is one of my Google calendars.

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
? Did you activate your google account on the phone?

yes, I activated the gmail account when I first got the phone. Is it possible that the store person messed it up? 'My calendar' syncs with nothing and it is the default. My gmail account is there but I have to toggle each event to designate it as a gmail calendar item. And, it only syncs one way: from phone to google and not the other way around. If I can fix this, I would love it. Would rather not wipe the phone, so many apps....

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I just use the Launcher Pro+ Calendar Widget: it toggles between agenda & calendar view and supports resizing.

Another option is Beautiful Widgets "Beautiful Home Weather" by clicking on it , it brings up my Google calendar

Windfrenzy

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Check out iRT Calendar. Closest I could find to datebk from palm os which was just the best. The developer is steadily adding features to iRT. I also just discovered Calendar Notifier which makes alarms repeat until canceled. That said, yeah, it still doesn't default to google when creating a new appointment. I have to pick that every time. A default alarm setting would be nice too.

Last edited:

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
yes, I activated the gmail account when I first got the phone. Is it possible that the store person messed it up? 'My calendar' syncs with nothing and it is the default. My gmail account is there but I have to toggle each event to designate it as a gmail calendar item. And, it only syncs one way: from phone to google and not the other way around. If I can fix this, I would love it. Would rather not wipe the phone, so many apps....

No, that is odd...it is supposed to sync both ways. For instance, I put in an event via my phone...when I log in, it is in the online gcal...if I create an event online, it appears in my phone calendar. Go into your calendar settings and ensure Background data and Auto-sync have a green check mark. Make sure where it says "manage accounts" that your correct gmail address is showing and it says "Sync is on" just below the address.

jk175d

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm a big fan of Business Calendar (currently in beta, but I've had no problems with it). But rando is right, you should be able to sync both ways with the stock app, and my default calendar is one of my Google calendars.

yeah, Buisness Calendar is by far the best calendar app IMO. Great layout and features. Having come from years of Palm, I was unhappy with the Android stock calendar, but Buisness Calendar has changed that.

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Make sure where it says "manage accounts" that your correct gmail address is showing and it says "Sync is on" just below the address.

actually, I think the issue was in google, not the phone- phone is set up perfectly - I activated the sharing connection a few times- google does not make it easy- you know with sending the verification code- I think I have it now... however, when creating an event in calendar, default is 'my calendar' and to get it to go to my gmail calendar, I have to change it from 'my calendar' to my 'gmail calendar' (pink to red)

dquangt

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Business calendar beta rocks my socks off! Seriously though, it's so fast, easy and convenient.

i don't like how it doesn't show what the event is in the month view. like the stock calendar its just has a colored indicator that you have an event scheduled. jorte is the only one i've seen that actually shows you what it is without having to click on the day. jorte gets my vote.

Scott_L#AC

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I've been struggling trying to choose between Jorte, Calendar Pad, & Touch Calendar with Jorte in the lead, but this Business Calendar is very nice (especially to a LONG time Palm guy). And the Widgets... I have too many to handle - Android Agenda Widget occupies one full Home Screen at the moment..

I've just added fonts to Jorte and liking it even more - there are so many config options in these calendar apps! If I could only get my Palm PIM calendar. Yes, some of these come close but none offer the simplicity and ease of tapping on fields instead of scrolling all over the place with the virtual KB up. I realize this is Android and not the apps, but a guy can dream can't he?

CalenGoo (thanks for taking away even more of my sleeping hours BlackPearl ;)) is really nice looking as well (with drag & drop, nice!) but with the new 15 minute Market return period and no trial I'm not going to be able to give it a go. I would need at least a couple of hours with this app. I've spent weeks juggling and tweaking the 3 above and still learning more about each as I go. I already own 2 apps that didn't cut it and I won't use because I had to use them for a couple of hours. Grrr...

To the Calendar developers: Nice work! You're making this tough - and for that, I Thank You.

Last edited:

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
I got the calendar app to work but not flawlessly. I gave them a google account when I bought the phone - so why is it not the default? What is this 'My Calendar' crap? Anything in 'My Calendar' does not sync so I constantly have to reassign all events to either Google or Outlook accounts...

BlackPearl890#AC

May 17, 2010
twitter.com
I've been struggling trying to choose between Jorte, Calendar Pad, & Touch Calendar with Jorte in the lead, but this Business Calendar is very nice (especially to a LONG time Palm guy). And the Widgets... I have too many to handle - Android Agenda Widget occupies one full Home Screen at the moment..

I've just added fonts to Jorte and liking it even more - there are so many config options in these calendar apps! If I could only get my Palm PIM calendar. Yes, some of these come close but none offer the simplicity and ease of tapping on fields instead of scrolling all over the place with the virtual KB up. I realize this is Android and not the apps, but a guy can dream can't he?

CalenGoo (thanks for taking away even more of my sleeping hours BlackPearl ;)) is really nice looking as well (with drag & drop, nice!) but with the new 15 minute Market return period and no trial I'm not going to be able to give it a go. I would need at least a couple of hours with this app. I've spent weeks juggling and tweaking the 3 above and still learning more about each as I go. I already own 2 apps that didn't cut it and I won't use because I had to use them for a couple of hours. Grrr...

To the Calendar developers: Nice work! You're making this tough - and for that, I Thank You.

haha what in particular do you look for in a calendar? what would be deal breakers? maybe i can answer some q's about it if you'd like. although i think they have a couple screen caps on the site :p

blueShift

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Jorte is very useful - or it was until the most recent update, which is now (temporarily) broken on my Epic. Syncs to your google calendars, supports the important [!] tag, maintains tasks. The round trip to google calendars is instant.

Touch calendar is simple, clean and uncluttered - and like Jorte, a very facile program. It's more customizable. I think this is a paid app (low cost).

I'm also trying the Business Calendar beta, which has an excellent week and day view, but I'm not sold on the month view. Yet.

rweiss

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to wait until I can try the Android version of Pimlical from Pimlico. I had this (Datebk) on my Treo and was sorry that it was never available on the Pre except through Classic. But the Android version only works on 2.2, so I have held off purchasing another calendar app until I get 2.2 and can try Pimlical. Is there anyone out there with 2.2 who has installed Pimlical?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87