Hard Reset Backup

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I am having some issues with the upgrade and am considering just wiping the phone. I have a couple of newbie questions. 1) What is the best way to do that and 2) can I backup all my apps/settings/ringers etc or will that defeat the purpose of the wipe and 3) If I can back them up, how?

Any detailed answers would be greatly appreciated.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I am having some issues with the upgrade and am considering just wiping the phone. I have a couple of newbie questions. 1) What is the best way to do that and 2) can I backup all my apps/settings/ringers etc or will that defeat the purpose of the wipe and 3) If I can back them up, how?

Any detailed answers would be greatly appreciated.

You would have to first root your phone then you could download either Titanium Backup or MyBackup Root from the Market and use that to backup your apps & settings, etc... Then you could restore your backups.

The link below will provide you with all that is needed to root your phone and install CWM (ClockWorkMod 2.5.1.0).

[Root] Samsung Epic 4G Official Froyo EB13 w/Optional EXT4

- Go to the Market and download one of the two apps I suggested above and backup.

- Then boot into CWM (power down device completely, then press and hold VOLUME DOWN+CAMERA+POWER). Navigate in CWM using VOL UP/DOWN, make selections using Camera button.

- Then you can use the "Factory Wipe" in CWM to wipe your device.

- Select "Reboot System" to exit CWM. This will reboot your device.

- Then you can restore your apps/settings etc. as we talked about above.

Any further questions please post them in the Rooting thread I provided above.

Thanks.

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Do I need to decide on the EXT4 now? I may want to try some of these ROMs that everyone is talking about, but first priority is backing up the phone and getting the update to work correctly.

dannybjammin

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I was just looking into the same thing. Trying a 32gb sd card but it's not working properly, support suggested I try a hard reset (I don't think it will work) But I need to backup my phone and would like to avoid rooting it. Can anyone out there help us?

epic dan

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
Wow! All I did was copy the files I wanted to keep and then did a hard reset and it made all my problems go away.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
If I move my apps to the SD, and do a hard reset on the phone. Will my "saved" data be on the SD card (ie angry birds levels, and other stuff)?

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
How long does it take to do the factory wipe? I held down the down volume/camera/power then selected wipe with the home button. Now the red led light is on and the bottom keys are lit up, but nothing else. It has been that way for several minutes.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Your contents on the sdcard will always remain untouched. Factory wipes, restores, Odin, etc none of them will ever format or erase anything on your sdcard.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
A factory wipe/reset will take some time to do when you do it going threw the stock recovery. Its basically resetting your entire phone back to whatever OS your currently running. This is not to be confused with removing root or trying to uninstall/remove a custom ROM. It will not do that, it will just reset the OS you are currently running. This goes the same for CWM. In order to remove root or a custom ROM you must use Odin to factory reset to either Eclair 2.1 DI18 or Froyo E13.

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Someone on another board said that I was not supposed to use the home screen to select, I was supposed to use the camera to select. So, before I further screw up, I want to select "wipe data/factory reset". Then I want to reboot the phone and restore with Titanium backup, correct? This will wipe out the data, but I will not have to reprogram my phone number etc, will I?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Someone on another board said that I was not supposed to use the home screen to select, I was supposed to use the camera to select. So, before I further screw up, I want to select "wipe data/factory reset". Then I want to reboot the phone and restore with Titanium backup, correct? This will wipe out the data, but I will not have to reprogram my phone number etc, will I?

Yes your correct.

In CWM, Volume Up/Down to navigate and Camera to make selections.

In stock recovery (Blue text, black background) Vol Up/Down to navigate and Home key to select.

Reactions: 5111

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Yes your correct.

In CWM, Volume Up/Down to navigate and Camera to make selections.

In stock recovery (Blue text, black background) Vol Up/Down to navigate and Home key to select.
That is a relief, I thought I had really screwed up. Paul, you have been extremely helpful!

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Your contents on the sdcard will always remain untouched. Factory wipes, restores, Odin, etc none of them will ever format or erase anything on your sdcard.

Right, I understand that, so I guess I wasn't clear enough in my question. Is the saved data moved to the SD card along with the app as well or is the saved data still in the phone memory?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Right, I understand that, so I guess I wasn't clear enough in my question. Is the saved data moved to the SD card along with the app as well or is the saved data still in the phone memory?

I'm not 100% on the answer to this one. I would want to think if you have the app installed SD card then I would think the data would also follow. You could always try and verify this by checking your SD card and find the app in question and see if the folder has a "data" folder something to that effect located inside of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non