Sprint 4G coverage vs Verizon

RAUDAA#AC

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
My friend at work just got a thunderbolt on verizon, Im not so jealous of the phone as I am of Verizons working 4g, and sprint non-existent 4g here. He is getting 15 mbps up and down. Will be nice when sprint turns it on. For those wondering this is the detroit area 48228.

makeotapackage-j4

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Dear Jealous in Motor City,
I know it may suck right now, but if it makes you feel any better, I live in the Tampa, Florida area, and I frequently pull 5-10 mbps here..so the technology is there :)
There are many bitter people on Verizon's network too because they bought a TB, and 4G LTE had no sign of coming to their area soon ;-)

The grass will always be greener....

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I think in the long run the Verizon LTE customers will be happier.
For us Sprint users were stuck with spotty WiMax coverage, where available. Its also such a battery hog i cant use it for long with out plugging in the phone.
At least with Verizon, its part of the 3G upgrade, and not a completely different system like with Sprint. I hope they re-evaluate it and are able to go a similar or same route Verizon does and convert existing infrastructure to 4G LTE.

wiltonmanorsx

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
My neighbours just switched to Verizon for Thunderbolts. I don't even get 4G in Downtown Fort Lauderdale at home or at work. Image my surprise (and frustration) that my neighbour gets excellent 4G in his house.

C'mon Sprint, I'm paying for it...lemme have it!

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I have the opposite, there is clear coverage at my apartment, but only 3G by thunderbolt.

Portland, Oregon area. I did notice that there is a spot of LTE coverage on hwy 26 just before the tunnel.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

alientech

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Sprint 4G is nothing but fraud. Northern VA supposedly has Sprint 4G coverage but it's a joke. The speeds and coverage are pathetic. Verizon's 4G may be better but its data plans will nickel and dime one to death.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
For us Sprint users were stuck with spotty WiMax coverage, where available. Its also such a battery hog i cant use it for long with out plugging in the phone.
At least with Verizon, its part of the 3G upgrade, and not a completely different system like with Sprint. I hope they re-evaluate it and are able to go a similar or same route Verizon does and convert existing infrastructure to 4G LTE.

LTE is as much of a change from EVDO as wimax is. In both cases the phones have a additional chip and radio to handle wimax/lte (at least for the time being).

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

I imagine wimax in 20 mhz in a 700-800 mhz band would feel a lot like, or better than, LTE as it is presently deployed. Compare metropcs LTE vs clear/sprint wimax. Wimax is not the problem, but in this case it's 10 MHz TDD wimax at 2600 mhz vs 20 MHz FDD LTE at around 800 MHz.

It'd be interesting if clear/sprint could deploy a half step up and do something like wimax 1.5 - wimax as it is but in 60 MHz. That'd give LTE a run for it's money.

jerseykat1

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I imagine wimax in 20 mhz in a 700-800 mhz band would feel a lot like, or better than, LTE as it is presently deployed. Compare metropcs LTE vs clear/sprint wimax. Wimax is not the problem, but in this case it's 10 MHz TDD wimax at 2600 mhz vs 20 MHz FDD LTE at around 800 MHz.

It'd be interesting if clear/sprint could deploy a half step up and do something like wimax 1.5 - wimax as it is but in 60 MHz. That'd give LTE a run for it's money.

I can't think of a reason why a company would intentionally cripple its 4g network unless what you are suggesting is not possible or even more unstable.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

jerseykat1

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Word on the street is that sprint wll be moving to lte in a couple of years, "not completely abandoning wimax but adding to it" that's what I read in an article somewhere. So don't expect to see wimax coverage spreading at any pace besides slow. Luckily I'm in north jersey so I'm covered for the most part.

I was cnsidering switching to vzw because they have hot phones and great 4g, but I don't appreciate the data caps they have. Plus I get yearly upgrades with sprint.

Robbie Doo

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
My friend at work just got a thunderbolt on verizon, Im not so jealous of the phone as I am of Verizons working 4g, and sprint non-existent 4g here. He is getting 15 mbps up and down. Will be nice when sprint turns it on. For those wondering this is the detroit area 48228.

I guess it has to do what area you're in. Here in L.A. it's 4G almost everywhere. However, the advantages of Spring over Verizone (in L.A. area):
- Sprint uses Verizon lines free of charge to it's customers
- Everything is included in the package where VZ charges separately
- You can only call VZ to VZ phones, yet in Sprint you can call anyone

There maybe some other comparisons if you'd like to add?!

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

I can see 15mb down, but 15mb up is super impressive! My best on 4G 11mb down and 1mb up.

But my best at home on wifi is 29.5mb down and 3.8mb up - good enough, still :)

GuttahMan

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Sprint 4G is nothing but fraud. Northern VA supposedly has Sprint 4G coverage but it's a joke. The speeds and coverage are pathetic. Verizon's 4G may be better but its data plans will nickel and dime one to death.

I live in Northern VA and have no problems using Sprints 4G, unless I am in a secure office building or metro, I can usually download at 15 mbps at any time. I'm literally 5 mins from DC so it may be different if you are in fairfax or further away...So far I have no complaints about sprints 4g network but I do understand that I am in one of the 4g "hotspots" here in DC so my experience will be different for others.

dominick

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Montgomery County here... my 4G indicator comes on all the time, but speeds are more like 3.297G than 4G. I've also found that 4G works best when you are not moving, so dodgy 4G on the train. =(

How does handset 4G compare to aircard 4G - any anecdotal out there?

cheers/dom

Bellmonte

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Here in Vegas, I get 4G coverage in most places, but I happen to live in one of the spots that doesn't have it, but I wifi at home anyways.

At work, my office is in a basement, and I often roam on Verizon while at work.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk

alestin

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
How does handset 4G compare to aircard 4G - any anecdotal out there?

With my Epic 4G, best 4G speed through speedtest is around 4Mb down in Dallas area.

I also have a Verizon 4G Modem for my laptop. This thing screams. I regularly get speeds of 15Mb down. Of course, no one's using 4G LTE yet, so I pretty much have the whole bandwidth to my self ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non