4.3 update

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Highly, highly doubtful.
This phone is almost 1.5 years old now and that is ancient in mobile world.
If you are going to have the phone for a bit, my suggestion is to root your Nexus.
I recommend JBSourcery, but there are really good ones out there.
The phone is nearly un-brickable so give it a try.
Just my $.02

Mav. :cool:

Sent from The Untempered Schism

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Don't hold your breath! Sprint hasn't released 4.2.2 yet so I seriously doubt they will ever release 4.3. They'd rather have you get tired of waiting and upgrade to a newer device & a new contract. Your best bet, as others here mentioned, is to go with a custom ROM. There are plenty out there for the GNex and it is about 99.97% unbrickable.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, it doesn't look likely at this point (I know the Devs are working hard at it though!) that we'll even see an unofficial 4.3. Issues with the radios or something like that.
Thankfully, the Nexus is darn near unbrickable, to the point that I joke that it would physically take a brick to brick it.

heresy_fnord

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
The Galaxy Nexus is supposed to different from all the regular retail phones. Since we have a Google phone I had thought my updates would be pushed from Google and that I'd always have an up to date phone. This kind of nonsense would at least be understandable if I had a retail Samsung phone or Motorola or LG. Those updates come from the Manufacturer and the also have weird overlays on top and then bloatware from both the manufacturer and the carrier.

Apparently though, the CDMA Nexus phones are "Nexus" in name only. While everyone else enjoys updates within a short time of the OS release, we're moving toward the 3 month mark with nothing. Not all of us can afford to buy a new phone every time an OS update releases and we shouldn't have to. The crappy thing about an iphone is that its locked down but at least the god damned updates show up for the phone until it is truly end of life, years after its release. My 2 year old iphone 4s still got the most recent OS update and it didn't take 3+ months for it to get it either.

jparker71

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm not expecting 4.3 to ever officially land on our GN's. I'm not really upset about it though. This phone still does everything I ask it to do.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I've been dealing with my screen randomly getting stuck in landcape mode ever since 4.2.1, and the stupid wifi shutting off with the screen even though the settings tell it otherwise.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think Sprint has forgotten about this device. At least the Verizon and the GSM models got official 4.2.2

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been dealing with my screen randomly getting stuck in landcape mode ever since 4.2.1, and the stupid wifi shutting off with the screen even though the settings tell it otherwise.

You have a Nexus. Go treat yourself to a custom ROM already. ATM, majority of the Sprint Nexus ROMs are 4.2.2 but some are close to a 4.3 release

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have to admit I finally abandoned my Gnex to my kids as a play phone. Moved on to a HTC One.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
You have a Nexus. Go treat yourself to a custom ROM already. ATM, majority of the Sprint Nexus ROMs are 4.2.2 but some are close to a 4.3 release

Oh I have but but almost all of the Roms have everything built in including the kitchen sink. I prefer stock and the one Dev would did that is gone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I'll certainly agree that many of the custom ROMs go a little overboard with the "features" & customizations they add in. But, there are some that don't. I'm gonna take a guess & say that the 1 dev you are referring to is Mmuzzy, yes, he's taking a break from his developing but his French Vanilla based off of 4.2.2 is nice & stable. Pretty much nothing added except for the Quick Settings menu. Mmuxxy's Vanilla has even less added to it but when I tried to download it a couple months ago I kept getting a partial file. SlimBean is a pretty minimal ROM as is Xenon HD. I'm sure there are others too, I'm just mentioning a few that I knew off the top of my head.

rem_kujawa, In your case, it comes down to 2 options.

1. Be stuck on 4.2.1 with its bugs that annoy you.
  2. A custom 4.2.2 that works. As far as the customizations, no one says you have to use them just because they are there.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I'll certainly agree that many of the custom ROMs go a little overboard with the "features" & customizations they add in. But, there are some that don't. I'm gonna take a guess & say that the 1 dev you are referring to is Mmuzzy, yes, he's taking a break from his developing but his French Vanilla based off of 4.2.2 is nice & stable. Pretty much nothing added except for the Quick Settings menu. Mmuxxy's Vanilla has even less added to it but when I tried to download it a couple months ago I kept getting a partial file. SlimBean is a pretty minimal ROM as is Xenon HD. I'm sure there are others too, I'm just mentioning a few that I knew off the top of my head.

rem_kujawa, In your case, it comes down to 2 options.

1. Be stuck on 4.2.1 with its bugs that annoy you.
  2. A custom 4.2.2 that works. As far as the customizations, no one says you have to use them just because they are there.

Yeah I'm going back to muzzys 4.2.2 plain vanilla rom tonight. Its pretty sad that a home dev's ROM is better and more stable than the stock.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm going back to muzzys 4.2.2 plain vanilla rom tonight. Its pretty sad that a home dev's ROM is better and more stable than the stock.

Well if stock was perfect then there wouldn't be custom ROMs. lol
We should all just be grateful that Google is smart enough to allow custom ROMs unlike those other OSes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89