PC World Review

noshooz

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
With every review I read and/or watch, I'm warming up to this phone more and more. My EVO may soon be relegated to a drawer as a spare phone. :)

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
So the only real complaints here was the "plasticky" build and the bloatware? Sounds like a 4.9 out of 5.0 to me because with that build comes an extremely lightweight phone.

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Err, can this smartphone actually make a phone call? I see a few review of the Epic 4g Touch but none have any mention of speaker, call quality, reception, earpiece volume, and etc. Its kind of disappointing.

pmjohnson99

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
Along with "viewing angle" the term "bloatware" should be officially removed from the "cons" category.

Generally you don't have to deal with bloatware and Sprint phones will let you uninstall a lot of it. I find it pretty hacky for reviewers to not know all the features of a phone and to simply put out these reviews without really using the phone. I love the use of the the phrase "I'm not sure" when they are describing a specific ability (i.e what res it shoots vids at).

Unboxings on the first day are fine, but review? I know we want to know..but give a couple of days and actually learn the abilities and features. That's what it seems like they do over here on AC.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Epic Touch 4G Phone Review | PCWorld

Pros
Bright, clear Super AMOLED Plus display
Superb performance
Excellent camera

Cons
Lots of bloatware/preloaded apps
Plasticky build

Bottom Line
The slim and speedy Samsung Epic Touch 4G is excellent for gaming, Web browsing and watching video, but the plasticky design feels a bit on the cheap side.

4.5 / 5
And if they used a whole bunch of metal and made it weigh to much they would hate that. It should be apparent that sites / reviewers say whatever inflammatory garbage they can as it attracts readers and increases their advertising dollars.

johnner1999

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Err, can this smartphone actually make a phone call? I see a few review of the Epic 4g Touch but none have any mention of speaker, call quality, reception, earpiece volume, and etc. Its kind of disappointing.

I agree - it could mean that samsung either:

- finally figured out how to make a good radio
- samsung has a 'gag' on them from talking about it <tin hat kind of guy that I am> O:)

hmmm

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
With millions of Galaxy SII's in the world, my guess is we'd be hearing about it loudly if there were radio issues...don't ya think???

johnner1999

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
With millions of Galaxy SII's in the world, my guess is we'd be hearing about it loudly if there were radio issues...don't ya think???

i think the bulk of them are GSM no? I know the Nexus S 4G and Epic on Sprint had reception issues. I know I returned my 2 Nexus S phones even after the July 30th update. I could be wrong though

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Cons
Lots of bloatware/preloaded apps
Plasticky build
One of the two cons is completely wrong!

Instead of blaotware being a con, it is a plus because you can easily delete it. This reviewer obviouly never looked at the phone.

Please everyone, send the reviewer Ginny Mies an email. Here is mine:

gmies@pcworld.com

You state that it has "bloatware". That's not true. Bloatware are preinstalled content that you cannot remove. These free apps can be easily deleted just as any other app.

In PhoneDog's review they show how to do it in the video at 5:28:
Samsung Epic 4G Touch Unboxing | PhoneDog

Just tap Home > Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications and tap whatever app then tap Unistall.

Please correct your article to show this "Con" as a "Pro".

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't think he is wrong. My Photon shows I can delete Sprint bloatware too but unfortunate it can only delete about 3 or 4 (Sprint Music and such). The rest like Sprint ID, Sprint Zone, and others cannot be uninstalled. I think you may be jumping the gun here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699