Tethering

Nrbelex

May 20, 2011
nrbelex.com
So has anyone gotten USB tethering to work yet? I see it mentioned in a menu and in the user manual, but haven't gotten it fully figured out yet...

What are the steps and do you need to install any drivers?

Thanks!

Nrbelex

May 20, 2011
nrbelex.com
Interesting. I actually think you should be able to, but all I'm missing is the driver. On the phone itself, with a USB cable plugged into a computer, you can enable tethering (see the attached image). And the computer recognizes the new hardware when you do that. However it doesn't have the necessary drivers to use the phone as a modem.

See this section of the user manual:

Tethering
Tethered Mode allows your computer to obtain an external data connection by using the device?s wireless data services and a wired USB connection. Tap USB tethering to activate tethering mode.

Important: If you are using your device for Tethering, you may be prompted for additional drivers. The Samsung Mobile Driver for SPH-D710 contains the ADB, CDMA, & WiMAX drivers that are required for using either Tethering (Phone as a Modem) or development tools.

- Go to SAMSUNG and visit the D710 Product page, where you can navigate to the Download Center to obtain this driver.
- The online FAQ also provide detailed information about this driver.
- A wireless data connection can be done by using the device?s Sprint Hotspot feature.
1. Press > and tap > Wireless and network > Tethering.
2. Tap USB tethering to add a checkmark and activate the feature. The USB tethering icon is displayed at the top of your screen.

However at that website, all you can currently download is the manual - no drivers. Any ideas? Anybody know where to get the drivers?

Thanks!

Nrbelex

May 20, 2011
nrbelex.com
Looks like they put the drivers up. At work right now, but I'll be testing them tonight! If someone else wants to give it a go and report back, it would be much appreciated!

Samsung

Select "Software" next to "Manuals."

Nrbelex

May 20, 2011
nrbelex.com
Unsurprisingly, it looks like Sprint has disabled USB tethering.

I've installed the drivers, and the computer and phone successfully connect. Once USB tether is enabled, however, the phone will drop both 4G and 3G connections and throw up the following (see attached screenshot):

Error 67: Registration Failure. Your Sprint data service username and/or password may be incorrect. Please try again.

I know the software/ drivers are configured properly because I can pass the internet connection on to the computer when the phone is connected to the internet via Wi-Fi.

Really disappointed (but not surprised)...

sasiki

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I use EasyTether. It works fine. I bought it when I had a Samsung Moment and it has worked on an Optimus, EVO and now the epic touch.

jtnss

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
There are apps out there (w/ out rooting) which will allow you to wifi tether for free (i.e. this one).... but is only in adhoc mode.

If you want to tether w/ infrastructure mode, you have to root and rom (i.e. example #1, #2, #3).

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
can wifi tether to a nook color be done, nook is stock and gs2 is also. my fife was asking. thanks much. we have had our etgs2 since the thursday before release friday working well.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
JS racer - I have a nook color, but it's rooted. (Highly recommended BTW.)

But I don't think it matters - don't see any reason why you couldn't tether it to your ET.

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
themacs, its the wifes so i haven't played with it.
Any tops or ideas on how to tether it, or is it going to cost money for the service ??
(super new to android, well these phones are my first android devices)

thanks much

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the really slow response JS.

If you root your ET, and get a tether app, no charge. A little bit of work (but not much) on your part.

If you go Sprint's "route", Menu, Settings, Wireless and network, Tethering... you'll pay Sprint. Monthly. :(

Disclaimer: There are arguments on whether or not this is an acceptable practice under the terms of your contract with your carrier, the details of which are better left for another thread. (There are plenty you can read if you like). I choose to tether on my own. I also am cautious about the (amount of) data I use. You can make your own choice.

Google "android tether". Click the code.google.com link (it should be first). You should be able to follow from here. But your phone must be rooted first.

Alternatively, search 'tether' in the Market - lots of apps that will do the legwork for you.

I got the NC because I like to read, and books get heavy :), but I also knew I'd be rooting it pretty quickly. (I think I waited a couple days.) Very glad I rooted it... By itself, the NC is wonderful. Rooted as a full-on tablet, it's 20x better. Kindle App, Overdrive Media Console...

Good luck!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo