How many of you are WebOS transplants?

Riboflavin

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I keep swiping down to bring down the notifications bar...and then swiping it down to make it go away like in webOS.

Also, i miss the mirror on the back. Even as a male user, it came in handy every once in awhile.

Hardware is awesome. Swype keyboard is pretty cool. Widgets/multiple home screens are cool. Actually having apps is cool.

Phone is a little big, but i am just keeping it on my desk or whathaveyou most of the time instead of keeping it in my pocket.

mulcher

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all for posting your thoughts. I am a launch day Pre girl and while I have decided to move on to Android, I just can't seem to make the leap.

My biggest block is the lack of physical keyboard. How bad is it, really? I am considering going with the Epic 4G just to keep a keyboard, but I understand it is actually on its way out of the lineup and I don't want to have my new phone already be old. LOL

Oh, and does it strike any of you as ironic that we are going from one of the shortest named phones to the longest? Seriously, what are we calling this thing? :p

I dumped my original Palm Pre last year for the original Epic 4g. The Epic 4g blew the Pre away speed, screen and build quality wise, but of course WebOS UI is better, but you get used to things.

Don't fret the keyboard. The landscape Epic 4g keyboard sucks. It's too wide and the keys are flat so its way too easy to hit the wrong key. The domed Pre keys (like Blackberry) were much better (and Treo was much better than Pre). I ended up using on-screen keyboard more than rotating the phone, and then sliding out the keyboard. Just too cumbersome.

I do recommend Swiftkey X over the stock keyboards. Now with the increase in speed of the Epic Touch its extremely responsive and is scary on how good the predictions are. In addition, the built in Android voice to text is amazing. I would say its pretty close to as good as Dragon on a PC and when driving, kicks butt for texting.

Reactions: lbates

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Got pissed at my Epic 4G touch this morning when my up swipe didn't bring up the apps list, and the back gesture didn't take me back. Momentary lapse in my memory. :-!

I'm hoping Ice Cream sandwich "borrows" more ideas from webOs

nuchin

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm a day-1 Pre(-) user to a day-1 Galaxy S2 user.

I jumped cold into Android for the first time. I wish there was some type of on-phone tutorial. The only type of tutorial I found was the Swype one. Having speedy hardware is quite the relief instead of fearing each day that my Pre- would die. I'll list some of my cons+pros I've found over the past couple days. I will miss WebOS dearly, but it feels good to know that so many others will have this phone and its support/tweaks/cases will be plenty.

cons
-I found myself swiping individual emails to delete and I've noticed the inconsistencies between apps when deleting items. Sometimes you need to tap+hold vs hit the menu button.

-I've found myself trying to consciously hit the search icon to simulate 'Just Type' as much as possible. Often I forget it's there though.

-I am not a fan of hitting the back button in an app, which brings you to a totally different app because that's where you came from initially.

-The on-screen keyboard takes up a large amount of real estate, especially with the predictive popups. While typing a text message reply, I can only see 3 lines worth of the previous message. In WebOS we could see actual history while typing gracefully on our HW keyboard. Landscape mode, forget about seeing anything.

-Settings. I'm having a little bit of difficulty finding and then remembering where individual settings are for features. IE. Haptic feedback. I'm sure they'll come to be naturally over time though.

-Facebook notifications. I've yet to get any menu notifications from facebook. I'm not sure if I've really set this up correctly though. The option is enabled yet maybe I'm too fast to notice an update before it gets pushed to my phone.

pros
-I'm amazed how fast the boot process is. This is a huge plus since my overclocked Pre on 2.0 would often not wake up and I would have to reboot.

-I'm also very happy that I can now hang up a phone call in 1 tap! No more 'tap-tap...tap tap tap. Doh recalling. tap-tap-tap to hang up'.

-App management. I'm so used to throwing unused apps away on my Pre to not get TooManyCards, that I feel I'm micromanaging my android apps. I have to get used to not having to exit all my apps

-camera. Auto focusing camera is going to be great to use! Although I've yet to take any pics. I shy'd away from using my Pre camera because it took too long to load and snap+save that the 'moment' was already over.

Reactions: lbates

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Switched from pre+ over a month ago to a droid 3 (had to keep a real keyboard) the water is fine over here.

When switching, you just need to acknowledge that *android doesn't run just like webos*. Sounds pretty obvious, but 99% of the complaints from former pre users really just boil down to this.

-Suntan

Maustininc

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
pre minus here as well. Have had that since June 2009. Actually won a contest and got the EVO 3D. Almost a month later still trying to figure out the ins and outs of android and still swiping up at the screen. Probably has to do with my Touchpad but still. Am loving the phone, especially the screen and Netflix. That's about the only app that I am truly missing for my Touchpad.

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I gave up on WebOS about three days before they axed the program. My eBay auction for my Pre2 actually ended after they lowered the boom - fortunately it went to someone on Sprint who was looking to build a FrankenPre, so he wasn't worried it...

I love WebOS - it is the most logical system ever devised for a smart phone in my opinion. It's too bad HP muddled around and screwed it all up. I actually had high hopes for the future of WebOS when HP took over Palm. Silly me.

I have an Incredible 2 and love it to death...but I still miss the future of WebOS.

Adonis101

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
2nd day with Epic 4G Touch (and I thought the "Pre" was a terrible name) and I have to say I'm diggin' it! Very fast and slick hardware but I do miss the smooth silkiness of WebOS!! It truly is the Betamax (WebOS) vs VHS (Android) of our generation. Once again, the best technology lost out due to terrible hardware and complete lack of business sense. I'll get used to Android, but I still feel that this OS is still playing catch up in some ways. It's nice to be current again and have developers actually wanting to create apps for this platform. Homebrew I'll miss you... HP you'll get what you deserve!!

bluemagicx

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes I just got The Epic Touch 4g and love it. We all had Pre's in my house. My son got a Nexus S and So I saw the Galaxy and said I gotta have it. My wife and daughter still have their Pre's overclocked and running fine. Even though it is a large display, its so thin it fits easy in my pants pocket . But I need a belt clip case. I miss webos simplicity but my pre lacked basic features that should have been in there from the start. I love this new phone.

Delawareduff

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I love my pre plus, my first smartphone, but will getting a new phone in Dec when time for renewal. I am waiting to see what else Verizon puts out before I do, I was soooooooooo hoping we could get the GSII ..

DuStU

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Guys I am having a weird experience. Iphone users are telling me they wish that their phone was this cool. HAHAHAHA oh how the tables have turned. Wish it was Palm making something this slick. I find myself playing with the phone for no reason just cuz. I am not in the delete what I havent used phase and asking people what good apps there are to get. All the sprint apps deleted off my phone no problem.

Hoverbot

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I was an original Pixi user, but when the screen broke last year I had to get another device (strict LCD policy at the store here). I ended up getting the Optimus S on launch day for the full price. Great phone but I do still miss the lock screen music controls.

My 2 years is up, and barring any new phones, THIS phone is going to be in my hands by the 8th of november, So I am seriously excited about it.

my guess: although I switched sides a year ago, I will be once again be joining a large majority of the webOS refugees when I switch to this one.

I constantly said that the moment sprint got a new webOS phone I would switch faster than you can say HP... but alas, you guys know the story. :'(

WVUPharm2007

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Another WebOS refugee here. Got my Epic 4g touch yesterday. Every time I use it, I just get pissed off that I can't go into card view or I can't just flick away a program to close it. Oh well. I now know what the Apple fans felt like during the Windows 98 era.

HeavemyTreo

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Pre minus user from day one, then recently got Moto Photon thinking S2 wasn't coming till Nov. Loved the Photon, but have a learning curve to Droid. Then S2 announced and switched before 30 days expired. S2 has different UI, better than Photon. The S2 is fantastic, Photon seems like an anchor compared to S2. Trying to sell 3 batteries, case and charger all new for Photon. Waiting on Ebay to offer batteries and stuff for S2. I am very happy with S2, fantastic screen, speed, key layout, etc. Only problem is bad headset quality. I understand somebody tried to hack to improve and gave up because of poor component Sammy used? In closing my days with HP are over, no more HP after the whole debacle.

PalmPat58

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I started my abusive affair with Palm when I received a Tungsten E2 in 2006. I then became an early adopter of the Pre and loved showing it off to my Apple fanboy friends. Being able to stream music through my car stereo with GPS gently directing me and taking phone calls was brilliant. I joined Precentral.net and visited it daily. Sometimes several times a day.

I looked forward to the Pre2 coming to Sprint, and was disappointed. I considered ending my 13 year relationship with Sprint as I already had Verizon at home and could get a good deal there.That's how much I enjoyed webOS.

With HP bailing on webOS devices and the Touchpad debacle I started to haunt the Android board and read good things about the Epic Touch 4G. I got mine from Sprint yesterday as an Premier Gold upgrade and, so far, am having fun tweaking and showing it off.

Philip413

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I made the jump from my Sprint Pre to this incredibly sexxxyyyy phone. This thing is huge (TWSS)!! But I don't find it to be too big. Although I'm a huge fan of the card metaphor, the problem I had with my Pre was that it was too slow. Having such an intuitive UI on such a slow device cancels each other out and leaves you with a mediocre experience. The speed and responsiveness of the Epic 4G Touch makes the extra step or two that I sometimes have to take less annoying because I can do it in the same or even less time as in WebOS on my Pre. I admit, I did stare at the phone for a few seconds after I was done with an application because I didn't know how to get rid of it. But once I got used to it (or get used to it - I've only had it a couple of days), it's less confusing. Overall, I'm pretty sure I'm going to love this phone for a long, long time (2 years).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699