10-11-2011 10:55 AM
124 ... 2345
tools
    I was an original Pixi user, but when the screen broke last year I had to get another device (strict LCD policy at the store here). I ended up getting the Optimus S on launch day for the full price. Great phone but I do still miss the lock screen music controls.

My 2 years is up, and barring any new phones, THIS phone is going to be in my hands by the 8th of november, So I am seriously excited about it.

my guess: although I switched sides a year ago, I will be once again be joining a large majority of the webOS refugees when I switch to this one.

I constantly said that the moment sprint got a new webOS phone I would switch faster than you can say HP... but alas, you guys know the story.
    09-21-2011 06:35 AM
    Another WebOS refugee here. Got my Epic 4g touch yesterday. Every time I use it, I just get pissed off that I can't go into card view or I can't just flick away a program to close it. Oh well. I now know what the Apple fans felt like during the Windows 98 era.
    09-21-2011 07:36 AM
    Pre minus user from day one, then recently got Moto Photon thinking S2 wasn't coming till Nov. Loved the Photon, but have a learning curve to Droid. Then S2 announced and switched before 30 days expired. S2 has different UI, better than Photon. The S2 is fantastic, Photon seems like an anchor compared to S2. Trying to sell 3 batteries, case and charger all new for Photon. Waiting on Ebay to offer batteries and stuff for S2. I am very happy with S2, fantastic screen, speed, key layout, etc. Only problem is bad headset quality. I understand somebody tried to hack to improve and gave up because of poor component Sammy used? In closing my days with HP are over, no more HP after the whole debacle.
    09-21-2011 08:04 AM
    I started my abusive affair with Palm when I received a Tungsten E2 in 2006. I then became an early adopter of the Pre and loved showing it off to my Apple fanboy friends. Being able to stream music through my car stereo with GPS gently directing me and taking phone calls was brilliant. I joined Precentral.net and visited it daily. Sometimes several times a day.

I looked forward to the Pre2 coming to Sprint, and was disappointed. I considered ending my 13 year relationship with Sprint as I already had Verizon at home and could get a good deal there.That's how much I enjoyed webOS.

With HP bailing on webOS devices and the Touchpad debacle I started to haunt the Android board and read good things about the Epic Touch 4G. I got mine from Sprint yesterday as an Premier Gold upgrade and, so far, am having fun tweaking and showing it off.
    09-21-2011 08:44 AM
    I made the jump from my Sprint Pre to this incredibly sexxxyyyy phone. This thing is huge (TWSS)!! But I don't find it to be too big. Although I'm a huge fan of the card metaphor, the problem I had with my Pre was that it was too slow. Having such an intuitive UI on such a slow device cancels each other out and leaves you with a mediocre experience. The speed and responsiveness of the Epic 4G Touch makes the extra step or two that I sometimes have to take less annoying because I can do it in the same or even less time as in WebOS on my Pre. I admit, I did stare at the phone for a few seconds after I was done with an application because I didn't know how to get rid of it. But once I got used to it (or get used to it - I've only had it a couple of days), it's less confusing. Overall, I'm pretty sure I'm going to love this phone for a long, long time (2 years).
    09-21-2011 09:42 AM
    Just picked up a E4GT on release day. I was a Pre- user, week one on Sprint, and somehow wheedled and deedled my way through nearly two years, thanks to frequent modding and kernel upgrades on the Pre, using apps to get around some other issues, and by generally ignoring some of the glaring issues that my Pre- had developed, namely cracks around the screen, a missing USB door and power switch, and a maddening need to crash on an occasional basis.

First impressions with the E4GT:

1) Oh, is it fast. Faster than my Pre- could ever manage, even with the kernel hacks that jumped the Pre- up to a Ghz in speed. Most appreciably, restarting the phone is particularly snappy, and the GPS is scads faster to acquire location.

2) Being able to use 4G also plays into the speed increases. Though I don't get the 4G everywhere, the capacity does make things like web browsing while shopping much breezier.

3) Being able to use Android Apps - With the dismal and dissapointing support that we had as Palm/HP users, with few apps really coming out for WebOS, I missed on a lot of things that was on the market. Being able to finally load up the apps my wife has been using for the last two years is practically a miracle in itself.

4) Battery use - Not having to carry around recharging equipment everywhere I go feels like one less umbilical I have to worry about having available to me, especially while traveling for business. With judicious choices in switching off the right radios and apps, I can get the phone to easily carry through most of the day without really having to worry about it.

5) Having a nice, big screen! - The real estate available with the E4GT's screen is simply phenomenal - no 'there's plastic edging that blends into the screen to make it look bigger' ridiculous nonsense. The screen is amply large for viewing webpages, and reading e-mail. I don't even have to don my glasses to read my mail when I'm settling into bed - I can just zoom away and read without having to try to hard. A lovely luxury.

Cons:

1) WebOS > Android - Not necessarily in things like speed or efficiency; but just as far as managing multiple applications, mail management, scheduling, contacts, and integration between all of them, WebOS was simple and intuitive. I miss being able to swipe through apps, swiping to dismiss apps, deleting mails by just swiping the entry away. I'm slowly getting used to the 'hold down for more features' and other adjustments I've had to make, but I do miss that quick management that WebOS provided.

2) Quirks in the phone operation - I've found that, depending on how I hold the phone, etc, I've seen some marked degradation in signal reception. I'm beginning to wonder if the slim form factor of the phone has something to do with it - similar to that issue with The-Phone-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named that had multiple reception issues when people held their hand over certain parts of the phone. Gripping the phone in certain ways, I've noticed drops of as much as 5-10 dBm in the signal reception. I'm currently using the phone without a case, but I'm beginning to wonder...

Also, I've had some issues with things such as syncing with Exchange, and getting a wireless connection working with my office wireless network (made connection, but no internet or data through the connection) - issues that I simply did not have when I set up everything on my Palm Pre-.

In summary - there are some things I miss about the Pre-, but there are more than enough positives to make me feel as I have made the right choice in grabbing the phone!
    mpnalvin likes this.
    09-21-2011 11:53 AM
    Another webOS faithful who was waiting patiently for an update to my Pre. I bought an EVO 4G though a while back as a stop gap in hopes that I would be able to buy the Pre3 or whatever.

I still miss webOS as a phone operating system and though I like Android enough, there are still some things that I could do faster and smoother on my Pre. While I was one of those who really liked the hard keyboard, I think if webOS was on the Epic 4g Touch hardware, it would be...well Epic...

For now I guess I'll get my webOS fix with my touchpad.

nnb
    09-21-2011 03:07 PM
    Pre minus user from day one, then recently got Moto Photon thinking S2 wasn't coming till Nov. Loved the Photon, but have a learning curve to Droid. Then S2 announced and switched before 30 days expired. S2 has different UI, better than Photon. The S2 is fantastic, Photon seems like an anchor compared to S2. Trying to sell 3 batteries, case and charger all new for Photon. Waiting on Ebay to offer batteries and stuff for S2. I am very happy with S2, fantastic screen, speed, key layout, etc. Only problem is bad headset quality. I understand somebody tried to hack to improve and gave up because of poor component Sammy used? In closing my days with HP are over, no more HP after the whole debacle.

Can you elaborate on how the UI is better? I hear "Blur" is closer to Synergy and syncing contacts is better than in Touchwiz?? Is this true?
    09-21-2011 05:05 PM
    Can we label out launch pages or are they called widget pages?

Rob
    09-21-2011 08:42 PM
    Hey Rob, I'm over in Android land too now. I don't plan on bringing drPodder with me though... that was a development task out of necessity that I don't think I'll repeat.

Really enjoying the Epic Touch. Volume-wise, it's actually smaller than the Pre was. I was amazed how much better it felt in the pocket.
    09-21-2011 09:22 PM
    My husband and I were both holding out for the Pre3, but of course no joy :/ His sprint Pre was getting to the point it had to be replaced, so we both upgraded to the Samsung.

Only thing that would make this phone better, is to have the WebOs installed on it!
    09-22-2011 08:42 AM
    The fact that I apparently have to download a program and open it in order to close other programs absolutely blows my mind.

For the love of God, someone please copy the one unbelievably glorious thing about WebOS.

Does anyone know if there is an app or hack or anything that gives me some sort of card view/flick off screen to close sort of thing? This constant going through of various unneeded screens in order to multitask is bugging the heck out of me.
    09-22-2011 01:00 PM
    @WVU There seem to be two schools of thought on application closing. The first is the official Google way, which goes like this:

[Begin Google Jedi mind trance]
    You don't need to close applications.
    You can trust the android to do it for you.
    Don't buy Apple.
    [End Google Jedi mind trance]

Obviously, with this mindset, there's no need to make it easy to close applications, so Android hides this function beneath several layers of menus.

The other point of view is that people are used to closing applications and in any case don't want a bunch of stuff running in the background potentially eating up battery (I think some apps do, some don't). Samsung has seen fit to cater to this view by including a task manager widget that you can place on any home screen. This is pretty good. One tap to go from your current app to Home, then one tap to see all your running apps in one place. This is about as quick as on the Pre if you have to slide the cards to get to the one you want to close. If you are closing multiple apps, it's probably quicker than the Pre, though perhaps less psychologically satisfying.

I have read that there are other programs you can download that provide a more card-like metaphor. Check out the WebOS support thread if you are interested in these. The task manager widget works fine for me, so I haven't tried them.
    09-22-2011 01:53 PM
    I'm also a Pre minus user who migrated. The thing I miss the most is the Music Player Remix app. Syncing playlists with Media Monkey was very simple. With the Android apps, it seems every album is a playlist (and that was after having to go through changing how USB is recognized).
    09-22-2011 03:45 PM
    OG Pre user switched on Sunday. I'll say I'm getting used to it. The size of the screen is great...but it is stretching my thumb out for 1-handed use.
    09-22-2011 04:39 PM
    ...Does anyone know if there is an app or hack or anything that gives me some sort of card view/flick off screen to close sort of thing? This constant going through of various unneeded screens in order to multitask is bugging the heck out of me.
    Everything you are looking for is in this thread:
    Palm User's Guide to Android

I am Milo from PreCentral. I wrote the Pre Guides when everyone was new to webOS and saying how hard webOS was. I wrote these too.

You are going from a manual transmission to an automatic. You used to do all the work. Now it does it for you.

If you miss cards, try Perfect Task Switcher, Visual Task Switcher, Wave Launcher, Itching Thumb or launchers like LauncherPro. Or install the Program Manager widget that came with the Epic 4G Touch.Or just long-press Home and press Task Manager.

But check out the from Google. Task killing, bad.

For the past 24 months we did patches for the hundreds of missing feature in webOS. Palm/HP used 5 of our ideas. Google use almost all of them and many more.

Change is an adventure for some. For others it is a time of anger and pain. It is what you make of it.
    johnj2803 likes this.
    09-22-2011 09:48 PM

Rob
    Rob, I know you and your dog from PreCentral.

Remember how great Folders were in our old Palm Treo's?

See the section in Getting Started on Folders. Now you are never more than 3 taps away from any of up to 256 apps.

On your main screen you can have icons that open folders (click to enlarge):

In this case press Tools and you get this folder. Click it to see an enlargement again:

09-22-2011 10:30 PM
    Everything you are looking for is in this thread:
    Palm User's Guide to Android

I am Milo from PreCentral. I wrote the Pre Guides when everyone was new to webOS and saying how hard webOS was. I wrote these too.

You are going from a manual transmission to an automatic. You used to do all the work. Now it does it for you.

If you miss cards, try Perfect Task Switcher, Visual Task Switcher, Wave Launcher, Itching Thumb or launchers like LauncherPro. Or install the Program Manager widget that came with the Epic 4G Touch.Or just long-press Home and press Task Manager.

But check out the from Google. Task killing, bad.

For the past 24 months we did patches for the hundreds of missing feature in webOS. Palm/HP used 5 of our ideas. Google use almost all of them and many more.

Change is an adventure for some. For others it is a time of anger and pain. It is what you make of it.
    Hey Rob good to see you over here. I was going to use one of those and decided I wanted to get used to Android before I decided to switch. I think after a week of using Android I dont need cards but I am still fumbling around tho. I expect that to happen for a month or so.

I also didnt like any of those card switching apps that was made for Android.
    09-22-2011 11:09 PM
    I'm a refugee as well. Was the biggest fan of webOS and hated Android with a passion. Now I can back up my hate with experience.

I can live with most of the quirks, but the one thing that really kills it is multitasking and the gesture controls. We really took 5 steps back on OS evolution.

Hardware-wise, however, I get mental wood every time I handle this phone. So that makes the experience more bearable. Kind of like talking to a hot chick for more than 5 minutes despite being a complete moron.

Hopefully by the time android 20.4.1 comes out, Google will have stolen a lot of ideas from webOS. I wouldn't mind as long as SOMEONE did...Apple or whoever.

And last time I checked, inductive charging was not exclusive to HP, so why is that awesome innovation not being used for other phones, especially premium ones like the ET4G? It's only a 2 year old idea, not a long time in phone years, right?

Sent from a Crapdroid in a beautiful bod (ET4G)
    pridee likes this.
    09-23-2011 02:43 AM
    I used my original Pre for about a year and a half. Loved it. Was always on precentral.net figuring out how to customize it and tweak it. Towards the end it was cracking up on me. Touch screen started touching itself. If you aren't familiar with that glitch, it's very spooky. WebOS displays a little circular ripple thingy wherever you touch the screen, for visual feedback I guess. Well when the glitch started, you can actually see "ghost" finger touches start happening randomly... launching apps, calling people, etc. It's really weird.

Anyway I jumped ship to the Epic first, and now the Epic Touch. I still occasionally miss the elegant, intuitive way webOS handled task switching, notifications, etc. But let's be honest, this Epic Touch kicks some major phone butt. There is a lot more about my Pre that I don't miss! The lag, the long boot time, the annoying charging port cover, the sloppy build quality, etc. The Epic Touch is so bad-*** that I don't ever think back until I'm reminded by something like this thread.

xtn
    09-23-2011 08:45 AM
    There arent pins anymore there is the Iphone connector and the rest which are (micro usb or mini usb) It seems everyone is switching to mini. Its about time we have universal charging! I am using my pre charger for the phone and so is my gf for her brand new nexus S
    The cable/charger compatibility was a nice surprise for me as I had 2 touchstones (one for home one for work) and a car charger. The charging cable that came with the Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch is too short so I now have 3 nice, long mini cables I don't have to throw away.
    09-23-2011 02:47 PM
    The cable/charger compatibility was a nice surprise for me as I had 2 touchstones (one for home one for work) and a car charger. The charging cable that came with the Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch is too short so I now have 3 nice, long mini cables I don't have to throw away.
    Yeah! I'm loving that most phones now (except Apple products) use standard microUSB!
    09-23-2011 03:57 PM
    Coming from a Sprint Pre.........can someone explain to me why using a task killer is a bad idea? I had just always assumed that a task killer was a necessary inconvenience for using Android. I notice that without a task killer I will have multiple services running for apps that I don't use regularly, and even for some that I haven't even gotten around to opening and configuring for the first time. I just assumed that having a task killer set on auto kill and with a good ignore list that you're good. Am I wrong?
    09-23-2011 04:05 PM
    Another webOS refugee here. Just got my ET4G yesterday, and I have to say it's exactly what I wanted/expected. Coming from a near-launch-day Pre, the screen and processor speed are really pretty mind blowing!

Yeah, I miss my card view, swipes to delete, keyboard, and touchstone. Overall Android just feels a little "utilitarian" compared to webOS ... not as graphically nice and elegant. Having to touch "buttons" ... ewww, how retro .

But for a techy geek like myself there's plenty to love too. Homescreens are pretty cool, and I'm really impressed so far with the voice recognition capabilities. The Samsung VoiceTalk is darn good (at least in the quiet of my home office). And to have all the popular apps (Kindle, Angry Birds updates, document editing) that never made it to webOS is really nice.

Ohh ... and Google Maps is a *revelation* on this device compared to my Pre !!!

Overall very happy to have a nice cutting-edge phone.

Rob
    09-24-2011 12:47 PM
    I was holding out for the Pre3. I was disappointed by the TouchPad and subsequent meltdown on HP's part, that I jumped all over the Galaxy SII. I love this phone.
    09-24-2011 01:12 PM
124 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD