How to Increase Sprint Epic 4G Touch 3G & 4G Data Speeds

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: How to Increase Sprint 3G Data Speed

...Again this does not increase signal strength bars, just the data speeds. If it doesn't help, just go back to your original settings...
Milo..I am not trying to crash you post but none of these things will work with this phone....
As many of us replied to post after post you have made, you had a bad phone.
I disagree, I just tried it and it doubled my download speed.
Thanks!

If you are getting poor data rates, try this. It worked great for me and for many others. If it does not work for you just change your settings back to the default.

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm a little worried about the erratic 4g dropping so much. 4 days left on my 14 day return. However, I love this phone.... Come on samsung and sprint get it together for your customers!

aquaholik

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I tried this for a week and compared it to my wife's phone with stock setting around the Tampa area and found no difference or in some cases, worst download speed so I reverted back to stock setting. Ymmv I guess.

Cordane

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks. I'm using a rooted EVO 4G with CM7. Would this process help me?

I tried doing it, but the part where you enter ##3282# doesn't do anything for me. How else would I access those other screens? Again, do I even need to? I could certainly use a speed increase.

hyd.anil

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
HI

I just did what exactly you posted, but am not getting my MSL number after entering getprop ril.MSL.
Again am getting $ getprop ril.MSL

Any help is really appreciated

Anil

Cordane

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
HI

I just did what exactly you posted, but am not getting my MSL number after entering getprop ril.MSL.
Again am getting $ getprop ril.MSL

Any help is really appreciated

Anil

If you're rooted, just download the app MSL Reader from Android Market. This particular app doesn't work if you aren't rooted though.

EeZeEpEe

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey folks. I'm using a rooted EVO 4G with CM7. Would this process help me?

I tried doing it, but the part where you enter ##3282# doesn't do anything for me. How else would I access those other screens? Again, do I even need to? I could certainly use a speed increase.

##3283# works on Sense ROMs only. If you're desperate to try this do the following:
Nandroid backup.
Nandroid restore your original Sense backup (If you have it. Less setup up time) or flash any Sense ROM.
Do the trick.
Nandroid restore your CM7 backup.

I've had to do that process with the GPS fix.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I have tried this on two different ET4G units here in NE MA...where I typically get about 400 kbps down.

On both units, it has made absolutely no difference in 3g speeds, no matter which methodology I use to test them.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing these are pretty decent speeds? This is before trying this suggestion ....it's also 7 am on a Sunday morning... I feel my browser is pretty snappy but some other apps that use data seemed slow...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

boe

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
There is another thread in this forum that tells you how to tweak your WiMax settings too. That fix won't increase 4g speed but keeps it from disconnecting constantly. View attachment 15531

Thanks for posting this fix Milo, it helped me - I had to reboot for it to go into effect but once I rebooted I was getting on average about double the download speeds.

DataHawg, can you please let me know where this is? I can't find it.

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I can't find the other thread where this was being discussed, but here's the story about the original Epic 4g. I still get disconnects on WiMAX around Seattle but is better after I made these changes. Make sure 4g is connected at the time you go into the settings or the WiMAX settings won't show up. I changed the proxy addresses for both 3g and 4g to 0.0.0.0 and both port settings to 0

Write down old settings before changing anything and please don't blame me if it messes anything up.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Improve-Your-Samsung-Epic-4G-Signal-191156.shtml

boe

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I can't find the other thread where this was being discussed, but here's the story about the original Epic 4g. I still get disconnects on WiMAX around Seattle but is better after I made these changes. Make sure 4g is connected at the time you go into the settings or the WiMAX settings won't show up. I changed the proxy addresses for both 3g and 4g to 0.0.0.0 and both port settings to 0

Write down old settings before changing anything and please don't blame me if it messes anything up.

How to Improve Your Samsung Epic 4G Signal - Softpedia

Thanks - I looked in that link. "Click on the WiMAX option and enter your MSL code. Make sure the 4G radio is powered on.

Then simply go to Extensions and hold EntryRX and Write Extension. You must change the values from -89 to -110, because the lower the number, the weaker is the signal.

The last step requires you to change the EntryCINR to 0004, or if you don't like that the radio is taking too long to reconnect once you lost the 4G signal you can change Scan Retries to 00015 and Scan attempt timeout to 0002."

I don't see an option to go where they discuss this when I go to options after getting into ##3282# and edit.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I just tried to do this and I get "Modem error Modem exception occurs" and my only option is "YES" and it takes me back to the View/Edit screen. What have I done wrong?

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
The Softpedia article doesn't explain it very well. You get into the WiMAX settings through View instead of Edit. In View mode you'll see WiMAX as an option as long as you have a 4g connection. Click on WiMAX, enter msl, then scroll down to Extensions. Long press the value you want to change and a Write Extensions box appears. That's where you change the Entry values. As I recall I had a problem with too many zeroes in some of the new values so I eliminated a zero and it worked.

Now use your back button and navigate back to the View or Edit screen. Press Edit and it will ask for your Msl again. Enter it, then go to Others>Multimedia. Press the arrow on the right of each value and change both proxies to 0.0.0.0 and both ports to zero. (No period after the last O in proxies). Now when you go back to the View mode and press Multimedia it should show all zeroes like Milos screenshot at the beginning of this thread.

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem on a non-rooted SPH-D710.

However, if you look real close on the screen you will see a $ prompt.

Just tap next to that prompt and type in the string 'getprop ril.MSL' and hit enter. The MSL code will show up on the next line but of course in very tiny letters.

Rob

PS Just double checked, you can use any terminal emulator app (I am using one called 'Android Terminal Emulator' by Jack Palevich). As stated before make sure you change to using the built-in Samsung keyboard or a Bluetooth connected keyboard before launching the terminal app.

Then at the $ prompt type the required 'getprop ril.MSL' and hit the enter key.

Rob

Last edited:

boe

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
The Softpedia article doesn't explain it very well. You get into the WiMAX settings through View instead of Edit. In View mode you'll see WiMAX as an option as long as you have a 4g connection. Click on WiMAX, enter msl, then scroll down to Extensions. Long press the value you want to change and a Write Extensions box appears. That's where you change the Entry values. As I recall I had a problem with too many zeroes in some of the new values so I eliminated a zero and it worked.

Thanks - I selected View, Extensions, EntryRX (hold down), Write Extension and changed value from -00089 to -00110. I also made the change on EntryCINR from 00006 to 00004.

Last edited:

dj2big

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Can someone please post the entire Extensions settings i started messing will all the settings and now my phone is slow

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Can someone please post the entire Extensions settings i started messing will all the settings and now my phone is slow

It's all in the very first post, "if you want to change your settings back..." I'm not a able to copy and paste from Tapatalk, sorry...

Sent wirelessly with Tapatalk.

dj2big

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Those are a few i need the entire settings as i started messing with all of them including settings in Extensions not mentioned