Anyone online RIGHT NOW who can help a girl with a root q?

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
@EVO_girl
I was a EVO flashaholic skipped root due to radio issues being reported and how development was working flash - kernel extraction , lack of official source release etc to may loose ends unlike EVO development .
I'm running stock no LOS being had device runs smooth waiting to root only makes sense.

Recommendation,
Flash stock kernel , If that fails to provides signal stability I would un-root replace unit within 14 days with new DONT ROOT till official kernel source or MR that fixes radio becomes available.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
@EVO_girl
I was a EVO flashaholic skipped root due to radio issues being reported and how development was working flash - kernel extraction , lack of official source release etc to may loose ends unlike EVO development .
I'm running stock no LOS being had device runs smooth waiting to root only makes sense.

Recommendation,
Flash stock kernel , If that fails to provides signal stability I would un-root replace unit within 14 days with new DONT ROOT till official kernel source or MR that fixes radio becomes available.

Exactly this......With an HTC device we needed to root if you wanted them to run good and get better battery life. Rid of all the Sense bloat or just run lag free.....With the SGS2, this phone does all that stock. No Lag, great battery, TW does not bog down the phone, etc.

I do not think Sammy needs to update anything to fix an issue that is only on rooted phones. What they need to due is release true source and the problem should be solved from there.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Thank you both for input and opinions, I consider both of your opinions valuable!

Sent wirelessly with Tapatalk.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
LoS happens on stock radio/kernel/rom. It just happens far less often and in fewer cases.

If you install a "recompiled" kernel from stock sources, it appears to exacerbate the LoS issue so that if you were seeing it before, you might see it more often, and if you weren't seeing it before, you might start seeing it.

The core problem is with Samsung, but folks can make it worse by installing "recompiled" kernels. You might not even realize you installed a "recompiled" kernel because you thought you were just installed CWM Recovery, not realizing that on Samsung, CWM Recovery always comes with a kernel and that kernel, and that kernel happened to be a "recompiled" one. Whatever kernel CWM Recovery came with, will also end up being used by Android because the kernel is shared (on Samsung E4GT) This is different from other platforms where Recovery and ROM have separate kernels.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I know people are claiming they have gotten it on non rooted devices but I do not believe it. I am convinced once root it will popup eventually.

LOS is affecting non-rooted owners as well, as you can find here Sprint Community: Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch . But as sfhub stated, something about the process of recompiling a kernel somehow increases the chance of an occurrence. However, it is possible to have root AND the stock pulled kernel from an unrooted phone.

I agree that root really isn't necessary on this phone, in terms of tweaks for better battery life and performance. The stock kernel/ROM does this very well on it's own. However, some people want the other things that root access offers, such as Titanium Backup, Nandroid, free tethering (ahem .. won't go into this one) and other functions. It is certainly possible to have this and not increase your your chance at LOS at all.

I had my first LOS on Saturday, while I was at a location that I haven't been since I bought this phone, so it's possible I would have seen LOS without root and custom kernel anyways. If I see LOS at home or at work, or anywhere in between, then I will be more motivated to go back to stock. Until then, I'm fine running this kernel for now.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I returned my first unit after Los showed up within 12 hours of rooting. Haven't had one before I rooted. I did not root my new phone and haven't seen 1 LOS yet and it has been over 2 weeks now. I know people are claiming they have gotten it on non rooted devices but I do not believe it. I am convinced once root it will popup eventually.

Just an FYI you do not need to return your phone to Sprint if you rooted and want to go back to stock.

How to unroot the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G Newest - YouTube

This will get you back to complete stock with no root, the stock kernel and ROM and the stock recovery. This method can keep your system data files too, although it's best to format and do a factory reset anyways to get the stock apps back (bloat) as qbking describes in his video.

Anyhoo, no need to return your phone if it's already working well for you.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Just an FYI you do not need to return your phone to Sprint if you rooted and want to go back to stock.

How to unroot the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G Newest - YouTube

This will get you back to complete stock with no root, the stock kernel and ROM and the stock recovery. This method can keep your system data files too, although it's best to format and do a factory reset anyways to get the stock apps back (bloat) as qbking describes in his video.

Anyhoo, no need to return your phone if it's already working well for you.

When I exchanged my phone there was now way to truly go back to stock.

My question now is, when returning to stock, are these files something that a person compiled or is that the files that if you walked into a Sprint store they would use to re-flash your phone? I am not truly convinced going back to stock with what we currently have is the same as a never rooted device.

What I would like to see is the actually files to flash leaked from wither Sprint or Samsung.......If this is it then great, if not I would still feel better with a fresh unrooted phone.....

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
My question now is, when returning to stock, are these files something that a person compiled or is that the files that if you walked into a Sprint store they would use to re-flash your phone? I am not truly convinced going back to stock with what we currently have is the same as a never rooted device.

You'd have to ask the developer to be perfectly clear on what you're getting, but I'm fairly sure everything was pulled from a stock, untouched phone. So this method brings you back to the way it was out of the box.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
They weren't "compiled". They were pulled from an unrooted phone which didn't have anything done to it. The boot image (kernel/initramfs) is the original one from Samsung. The /system (factory_fs.img) is the original one from Samsung. They are what you had when your phone first came to you.

What are missing are the modem.bin and default nvram.

For the modem.bin, it probably isn't that important as you'd unlikely have changed your modem, but if it is important, you'll probably need to wait for the first update to get one, or have someone leak the real EG30 modem rather than the older EG12 floating around.

For the default nvram, you can get that by doing a ##786# reset from the dialer.

I'm referring to the one here (I didn't watch the youtube video):
http://www.forums.acsyndicate.net/s...din-Completely-Stock-EG30-Restore-your-system

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Qbking is fine and all, but he seriously needs to hold the camera still and quit jumping all over the place with his instructions. He explains things for those who are experienced... I need chunky crayons and Big Chief Tablet pictures drawn for me...

Sent wirelessly with Tapatalk.

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Oops... have you tried the Starburst ROM?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Been using it (Starburst) for about a week... it's working great so far and reminds me of the last ROM I used on my Epic before upgrading...

It hasn't stopped the dreaded LOS, but it certainly has cut down on the amounts I get. And it was really easy to install.

I also use qbking's videos for help when installing ROMs and kernels since he always seems to review one I want to try. I don't have a problem with the camera shaking (didn't even notice it till you mentioned it) but I do find myself having to pause his videos every once in a while so that I can keep up. Not necessarily that he's going too fast; more that I want to make sure I don't miss a critical step (like the format thing before wiping cache) and mess up my phone. They haven't failed me so far though so he's doing a great job

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Been using it (Starburst) for about a week... it's working great so far and reminds me of the last ROM I used on my Epic before upgrading...

It hasn't stopped the dreaded LOS, but it certainly has cut down on the amounts I get. And it was really easy to install.

I assume you're using the LoStKernel that is packaged with Starburst? Have you tried flashing a stock kernel after installing the ROM? I've been running the LoStKernel on the stock ROM for about a week now and have had a few connection issues. Only one clear cut LOS, but I've had some connection oddities where my phone said it still had service but my PRL showed as "Not available" and I had no data and couldn't make calls.

It occurred to me last night that it could have had something to do with the data speed tweak I had done to the settings using Milo's method several weeks ago, so I moved those settings back to the default and I'm going to monitor it further. If I continue to have network connection issues I may have to move back to the stock kernel.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
It occurred to me last night that it could have had something to do with the data speed tweak I had done to the settings using Milo's method several weeks ago, so I moved those settings back to the default and I'm going to monitor it further. If I continue to have network connection issues I may have to move back to the stock kernel.

From what I remember, we have the same setup... I had the ONE LoS event 24 hours after I rooted and none since. I did the data speed tweak this morning so I will keep an eye on it too...

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I assume you're using the LoStKernel that is packaged with Starburst? Have you tried flashing a stock kernel after installing the ROM? I've been running the LoStKernel on the stock ROM for about a week now and have had a few connection issues. Only one clear cut LOS, but I've had some connection oddities where my phone said it still had service but my PRL showed as "Not available" and I had no data and couldn't make calls.

That's a really good point. I've done both of the data speed tweaks (3G & 4G), and yes, I'm using the prepackaged LoStKernel with Starburst. I guess that means that there are a bunch of ways that things can go wrong, huh? :p I haven't thought about flashing back to a stock kernel because I thought that by doing so I would lose my root access, which I need for my backups and titanium functionality (I could be wrong though).

But coupling the ROMs along with the data tweaks for 3G & 4G could be creating some stream crossing issues there that I'm not aware of. I've been pretty stable on Starburst and LoStKernel the last week or so, and my data tweaks still seem to be helping things (except in my home where both my 3G have always been less than desirable) so I'll continue to monitor their progress and report back with any issues (if they continue to arise)...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87