Anyone online RIGHT NOW who can help a girl with a root q?

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Trying to root the SGSII --- using LoStKernel -- thought I had it all figured out until I sat down to do it......

Am I using ODIN to do this? - the file is Lostkernel1.2.2.0.tar.md5 (the md5 is throwing me off)
--- thought I was supposed to put that file in the PDA box, check it, check Autoreboot, put the phone in Odin mode and start Odin --- but qbking77's YouTube vid tells me to put the zip file on my sd card!?! WTF......didn't read this part ANYWHERE......... arrghh...

I just want root. DANGIT. :-[

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You can rename the md5 file to LoStKernel-1.0.2.2.tar and place it anywhere Odin can find.

The zip file is used if you are doing the upgrade through CWM recovery and in that case the *zip* file (not to be confused with tar file) should be on your sd card.

They both contain the same kernel, just the wrapper for installation is different. The tar file has nothing but the kernel. The zip file has some installer scripts used by CWM.

Reactions: ihbsbA

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
sfhub THANK YOU....... I know the Odin procedure, and the video is showing an Epic with CWM already on it......mine is fresh out of the box!

So rename it taking off the md5 extension then pull it in to ODIN - go into ODIN mode on the phone, make sure all appropriate boxes are checked (PDA and AUTO REBOOT ONLY ) correct tar file is in PDA box and press start, right?

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
sfhub THANK YOU....... I know the Odin procedure, and the video is showing an Epic with CWM already on it......mine is fresh out of the box!

So rename it taking off the md5 extension then pull it in to ODIN - go into ODIN mode on the phone, make sure all appropriate boxes are checked (PDA and AUTO REBOOT ONLY ) correct tar file is in PDA box and press start, right?
Right

Reactions: Kikoshi and ihbsbA

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
do I plug in the phone before I put it in ODIN mode or does that matter? (the things we ask when we've never done anything like this before........)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
For future reference many of the odin distributions include an Odin3.ini config file that sets the correct reboot (and other settings) for you, so you don't have to remember every time.

Reactions: ihbsbA

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Looks like you got it EVO_girl. Sorry I wasn't around for your questions, but I tend to be fairly kneedeep in family and the kids on weekends. Sounds like it went smooth for ya though.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Knee deep... I'm up to my eyeballs, but I knew I'd have a small window and that's why I.tried to get so prepared. You can answer one more thing...have you tried Sra

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Oops... have you tried the Starburst ROM?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Nope not yet. I was waiting for the ROMs to get some more polish before I dove in. With last night's update to Starburst though, I'm probably going to give it a try this week.

Kikoshi

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Can't wait to Root mine already :), with the help of you guys seems easy enough, now quick question, after Rooting and installing the LosKernel" btw evogirl sorry to bug you :p, but your phone is as good, and same prior to rooting? and also, when i Odin the RootedKernel, I should of course make a backup of the current stock Rom correct? and after i create the backup, i can always flash it back, and will be the same as before?.. or will somethings be a miss?, and I've also read about different cwm5 now. last one that i was on, was the Purple cwm for Epic 4G.
Which one is a good stable version at the moment? or just stay with cwm4?

Thank you guys
:), and sorry if this might look like highjacking a threat.. just though i asked it here, being that like my self, any non rooted people looking/searching how to root their ET4G, would be also looking at this threat.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Nope not yet. I was waiting for the ROMs to get some more polish before I dove in. With last night's update to Starburst though, I'm probably going to give it a try this week.

I've read a lot of people on xda saying LoS was gone since they've flashed to it... might be my next step.

Sent wirelessly with Tapatalk.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I've read a lot of people on xda saying LoS was gone since they've flashed to it... might be my next step.

You can always just run the stock kernel as well. The phone operates really well on the stock kernel anyways so the tweaks added to the kernel while nice aren't a huge deal.

I got my first LOS on Saturday as well, after being rooted for only a few days, and not a single LOS for the weeks prior while not on a custom kernel. There's options though .. not a big deal.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I will do what you do. What are you going to do? LOL

I returned my first unit after Los showed up within 12 hours of rooting. Haven't had one before I rooted. I did not root my new phone and haven't seen 1 LOS yet and it has been over 2 weeks now. I know people are claiming they have gotten it on non rooted devices but I do not believe it. I am convinced once root it will popup eventually.

I would rather run this phone stock right now then have to deal with LOS. Now if ICS comes out, that will be a different story but hopefully by then we will have root minus the LOS bug.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87