10-26-2011 09:06 AM
35 12
tools
    Trying to root the SGSII --- using LoStKernel -- thought I had it all figured out until I sat down to do it......

Am I using ODIN to do this? - the file is Lostkernel1.2.2.0.tar.md5 (the md5 is throwing me off)
    --- thought I was supposed to put that file in the PDA box, check it, check Autoreboot, put the phone in Odin mode and start Odin --- but qbking77's YouTube vid tells me to put the zip file on my sd card!?! WTF......didn't read this part ANYWHERE......... arrghh...

I just want root. DANGIT.
    10-22-2011 08:56 PM
    You can rename the md5 file to LoStKernel-1.0.2.2.tar and place it anywhere Odin can find.

The zip file is used if you are doing the upgrade through CWM recovery and in that case the *zip* file (not to be confused with tar file) should be on your sd card.

They both contain the same kernel, just the wrapper for installation is different. The tar file has nothing but the kernel. The zip file has some installer scripts used by CWM.
    ihbsbA likes this.
    10-22-2011 09:12 PM
    sfhub THANK YOU....... I know the Odin procedure, and the video is showing an Epic with CWM already on it......mine is fresh out of the box!

So rename it taking off the md5 extension then pull it in to ODIN - go into ODIN mode on the phone, make sure all appropriate boxes are checked (PDA and AUTO REBOOT ONLY ) correct tar file is in PDA box and press start, right?
    10-22-2011 09:15 PM
    renaming that tar file isn't going to make my phone die is it?
    10-22-2011 09:19 PM
    sfhub THANK YOU....... I know the Odin procedure, and the video is showing an Epic with CWM already on it......mine is fresh out of the box!

So rename it taking off the md5 extension then pull it in to ODIN - go into ODIN mode on the phone, make sure all appropriate boxes are checked (PDA and AUTO REBOOT ONLY ) correct tar file is in PDA box and press start, right?
    Right
    ihbsbA and Kikoshi like this.
    10-22-2011 09:20 PM
    do I plug in the phone before I put it in ODIN mode or does that matter? (the things we ask when we've never done anything like this before........)
    10-22-2011 09:23 PM
    I did it!! I have a yellow triangle, but I did it........
    10-22-2011 09:25 PM
    Congrats! As a prior EVO 4g and EVO 3d owner, I can say you know have the best Sprint phone out right now so hope you enjoy it....
    ihbsbA likes this.
    10-22-2011 09:29 PM
    For future reference many of the odin distributions include an Odin3.ini config file that sets the correct reboot (and other settings) for you, so you don't have to remember every time.
    ihbsbA likes this.
    10-22-2011 09:55 PM
    Yellow triangle isn't a bad thing; just means you modded your phone from its original config...

And it can be removed
    ihbsbA likes this.
    10-23-2011 09:24 AM
    Looks like you got it EVO_girl. Sorry I wasn't around for your questions, but I tend to be fairly kneedeep in family and the kids on weekends. Sounds like it went smooth for ya though.
    10-23-2011 11:06 AM
    Knee deep... I'm up to my eyeballs, but I knew I'd have a small window and that's why I.tried to get so prepared. You can answer one more thing...have you tried Sra

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    10-23-2011 12:43 PM
    Oops... have you tried the Starburst ROM?

10-23-2011 12:43 PM
    Oops... have you tried the Starburst ROM?

Nope not yet. I was waiting for the ROMs to get some more polish before I dove in. With last night's update to Starburst though, I'm probably going to give it a try this week.
    10-23-2011 02:23 PM
    Can't wait to Root mine already , with the help of you guys seems easy enough, now quick question, after Rooting and installing the LosKernel" btw evogirl sorry to bug you :P, but your phone is as good, and same prior to rooting? and also, when i Odin the RootedKernel, I should of course make a backup of the current stock Rom correct? and after i create the backup, i can always flash it back, and will be the same as before?.. or will somethings be a miss?, and I've also read about different cwm5 now. last one that i was on, was the Purple cwm for Epic 4G.
    Which one is a good stable version at the moment? or just stay with cwm4?

Thank you guys
    , and sorry if this might look like highjacking a threat.. just though i asked it here, being that like my self, any non rooted people looking/searching how to root their ET4G, would be also looking at this threat.
    10-23-2011 06:45 PM
    I just got an LoS event today.
    Not sure how I will proceed....

Sent wirelessly with Tapatalk.
    10-23-2011 09:41 PM
    Nope not yet. I was waiting for the ROMs to get some more polish before I dove in. With last night's update to Starburst though, I'm probably going to give it a try this week.
    I've read a lot of people on xda saying LoS was gone since they've flashed to it... might be my next step.

10-23-2011 09:54 PM
    I've read a lot of people on xda saying LoS was gone since they've flashed to it... might be my next step.

You can always just run the stock kernel as well. The phone operates really well on the stock kernel anyways so the tweaks added to the kernel while nice aren't a huge deal.

I got my first LOS on Saturday as well, after being rooted for only a few days, and not a single LOS for the weeks prior while not on a custom kernel. There's options though .. not a big deal.
    10-23-2011 11:05 PM
    I will do what you do. What are you going to do? LOL

10-24-2011 06:59 AM
    I will do what you do. What are you going to do? LOL

I returned my first unit after Los showed up within 12 hours of rooting. Haven't had one before I rooted. I did not root my new phone and haven't seen 1 LOS yet and it has been over 2 weeks now. I know people are claiming they have gotten it on non rooted devices but I do not believe it. I am convinced once root it will popup eventually.

I would rather run this phone stock right now then have to deal with LOS. Now if ICS comes out, that will be a different story but hopefully by then we will have root minus the LOS bug.
    10-24-2011 09:51 AM
    @EVO_girl
    I was a EVO flashaholic skipped root due to radio issues being reported and how development was working flash - kernel extraction , lack of official source release etc to may loose ends unlike EVO development .
    I'm running stock no LOS being had device runs smooth waiting to root only makes sense.

Recommendation,
    Flash stock kernel , If that fails to provides signal stability I would un-root replace unit within 14 days with new DONT ROOT till official kernel source or MR that fixes radio becomes available.
    10-24-2011 09:58 AM
    @EVO_girl
    I was a EVO flashaholic skipped root due to radio issues being reported and how development was working flash - kernel extraction , lack of official source release etc to may loose ends unlike EVO development .
    I'm running stock no LOS being had device runs smooth waiting to root only makes sense.

Recommendation,
    Flash stock kernel , If that fails to provides signal stability I would un-root replace unit within 14 days with new DONT ROOT till official kernel source or MR that fixes radio becomes available.
    Exactly this......With an HTC device we needed to root if you wanted them to run good and get better battery life. Rid of all the Sense bloat or just run lag free.....With the SGS2, this phone does all that stock. No Lag, great battery, TW does not bog down the phone, etc.

I do not think Sammy needs to update anything to fix an issue that is only on rooted phones. What they need to due is release true source and the problem should be solved from there.
    10-24-2011 10:14 AM
    Thank you both for input and opinions, I consider both of your opinions valuable!

10-24-2011 10:19 AM
    LoS happens on stock radio/kernel/rom. It just happens far less often and in fewer cases.

If you install a "recompiled" kernel from stock sources, it appears to exacerbate the LoS issue so that if you were seeing it before, you might see it more often, and if you weren't seeing it before, you might start seeing it.

The core problem is with Samsung, but folks can make it worse by installing "recompiled" kernels. You might not even realize you installed a "recompiled" kernel because you thought you were just installed CWM Recovery, not realizing that on Samsung, CWM Recovery always comes with a kernel and that kernel, and that kernel happened to be a "recompiled" one. Whatever kernel CWM Recovery came with, will also end up being used by Android because the kernel is shared (on Samsung E4GT) This is different from other platforms where Recovery and ROM have separate kernels.
    10-24-2011 10:42 AM
    I know people are claiming they have gotten it on non rooted devices but I do not believe it. I am convinced once root it will popup eventually.
    LOS is affecting non-rooted owners as well, as you can find here Sprint Community: Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch . But as sfhub stated, something about the process of recompiling a kernel somehow increases the chance of an occurrence. However, it is possible to have root AND the stock pulled kernel from an unrooted phone.

I agree that root really isn't necessary on this phone, in terms of tweaks for better battery life and performance. The stock kernel/ROM does this very well on it's own. However, some people want the other things that root access offers, such as Titanium Backup, Nandroid, free tethering (ahem .. won't go into this one) and other functions. It is certainly possible to have this and not increase your your chance at LOS at all.

I had my first LOS on Saturday, while I was at a location that I haven't been since I bought this phone, so it's possible I would have seen LOS without root and custom kernel anyways. If I see LOS at home or at work, or anywhere in between, then I will be more motivated to go back to stock. Until then, I'm fine running this kernel for now.
    10-24-2011 11:23 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD