Directions/Navigation app?

Drummerboy1975

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
What app do we use for directions from point A to B? I know there's one on our phone, but I don't know which it is. Also, is there a better one to download from the Market?

Nonja

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I use Google Navigation but TeleNav also came pre-installed. Too bad the GPS reception on my phone is terrible...

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
What exactly is "sensor aiding" and why does it help to turn it off?

Sensor aiding uses the phone's internal accelerometer and gyroscope to improve accuracy and supposedly takes some of the burden off the GPS for positioning which is supposed to result in less battery consumption. I don't think it's implemented that well in phones however, and Samsung phone owners have reported ancedotal evidence over the past year or so that it adds more problems than benefits. My guess is it's simply poor software implementation by Samsung, or the internal sensors are crappy ... or both. I believe the military uses this kind of technology in its unmanned air and ground vehicles.

rcdietz1

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
For me Google Navigation is heads above Telenav, Never been misled with google, have been many times with the stock app. Maybe it depends on where you live, but for me there is no comparison, the difference between google and telenav is night and day.

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Both google nav and telenav download maps and routing info over the internet. I use google nav most of the time but if I'm traveling somewhere that I won't have a cell signal I use copilot (I think I paid $5 for it).

I haven't tried telenav simply because I have limited space left on my phone and I try to minimize the number of apps installed.

Copilot is OK, it's a little clunky and the maps are out of date but when I don't have a cell signal in the middle of nowhere I really like to have a working navigation solution.

As for google nav, I like the integration with other phone features... I can do a local search and right from the search results I can open google navigate to have it route me to the destination, also if I get a call while I'm driving google navigation will still provide voice prompts in the earpiece while I'm on the phone. The street view pop up when arriving at my destination is also handy.

I do wish google would add common gps navigation features to google nav... current speed limits, current speed, ability to customize the display to show eta, eta to next turn, current road name, lane assist for driving thru complex freeway intersections, etc.. They seem focused on adding more social integration features of late instead of adding navigation features.

Nonja

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I disabled Sensor Aiding and updated my AGPS data but neither one of those tips seem to have helped.

I'm starting to wonder if I should see if Sprint will replace my phone through the insurance. I ran a side-by-side comparison with my fiancee's Evo 4G when I was in the Houston area a couple weeks ago, and her phone consistently picked up 2X the number of satellites (12 to my 5-7). Her phone was accurate to 9ft. the best mine maintained was 96ft...

Did I get a lemon...?

turbomeister

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, my GPS sucks major appendage as well, almost making me want to ditch this for an iphone. Gotta love a company that puts all its mobile eggs in one basket. That ensures that the phone is going to be top notch with very little issues.

As to the navigation app, I'm trying out Sygic as both google and telenav are both sub-optimal. Offline maps is the key differentiator. Gotta have it. When the GPS radio works, the Sygic app is great.

Sent from a Crapdroid in a beautiful bod

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87