Too late to buy Sprint's Epic 4G Touch?

studentdoctor

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys I'm making the switch from BB to Android (or possibly iPhone but unlikely) and I'm reading about all these new phones coming out early to mid next year on Sprint. Would you wait for new phones with LTE, NFC, or any other technologies or make the plunge and upgrade now? I'm not sure if this phone is going to get phased out in the next six months or so. What would you do? Thanks!

robiii

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I would wait and see if Sprint is going to get the Galaxy Nexus. If they are not then I would buy the Epic Touch. I just ordered a Epic Touch for my wife yesterday.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ahh the good ole question. Buy now or wait for the next best thing. This phone is arguably the best phone on Sprint right now, but sometime next year it won't be. But this phone won't be phased out in 6 months though. For most, it'll have a 2 year shelf life at minimum.

In the end, it's entirely up to you and there is no right or wrong answer. The whole topic is very subjective.

Sent from my E4GT via Tapatalk

davis.rob

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
It depends a lot on the details of your situation. Personally, I'm really happy with the E4GT and not too worried about LTE. There should be a long transition period, so if there's WiMax where you live it should continue for quite a while ... and if there's not then who knows when LTE will really be available. I wanted the fastest phone with the best screen and I feel like I've got that. Waiting a year for LTE is not attractive to me ... and there's *always* a faster/better phone around the corner, so that's a constant.

I do wish they had included NFC in the E4GT, but ces't la vie.

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't see a whole lot coming out in the next 6 months that I would hold out for. The specs on the nexus don't seem like much of an upgrade IMO and I don't expect huge jumps in performance or features until mid next year.

So unless you are willing to wait a year from now for an upgrade (when LTE and next gen processors would be the next big jump in features/performance) then I'd say the Epic Touch (along w the photon and E3D) are all solid phones and will serve you well for the next 2 years.

mrcminnesota

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
If you buy now Best Buy will give you a blue ray player. Good luck:)
I do like my Epic 4G Touch even though there are some issues. I have not had the LOS issues that some have reported (I have had the circle with the line but only for just a few seconds). I just have not really been able to roam 3g. Not sure if it is the type of towers around here or if it is related to the poor antenna, etc.?? Anyway keeping mine,

studentdoctor

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the great info guys. I stopped by Sprint to get my upgrade and started testing out the iPhone while I waited for a salesperson and become indecisive again. My hands and fingers got really tired with the Epic 4G Touch - almost as if I need to push buttons and need a thicker phone (I have above average size hands). I have an extended battery on my BB and can't stand how it feels without it (too thin and flimsy). Maybe I can get a case or extended batt for the E4GT to solve that issue. The iPhone seemed a bit more user friendly as well but the salesperson said if I'm a Google person, the E4GT will sync seamlessly - and I am.

I have 6 different emails that are hosted on GMail through Google Apps for my business. Can I have each of these accounts as separate icons on the E4GT home? Or do I have to click on the GMail app button, then go select an email account? Given the amount of email I get, it helps a lot to have these as separate icons like the BB has it set up. I'm also able to set up each email to have a unique alert so that I don't have to run to my phone when I get an email on my personal email versus support email for my website. If the E4GT allows this, I think I'll go back and pick it up. The salesperson didn't know.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Wait until Samsung fixes the many problems associated with this product. Google it and its easy to see that its another Samsung fail without any updates in sight.

qfnol31

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I have 6 different emails that are hosted on GMail through Google Apps for my business. Can I have each of these accounts as separate icons on the E4GT home? Or do I have to click on the GMail app button, then go select an email account? Given the amount of email I get, it helps a lot to have these as separate icons like the BB has it set up. I'm also able to set up each email to have a unique alert so that I don't have to run to my phone when I get an email on my personal email versus support email for my website. If the E4GT allows this, I think I'll go back and pick it up. The salesperson didn't know.

You can add a shortcut to any set of messages from any gmail account to your homescreen.

If you love Google products, I highly recommend Android over iOS.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the great info guys. I stopped by Sprint to get my upgrade and started testing out the iPhone while I waited for a salesperson and become indecisive again. My hands and fingers got really tired with the Epic 4G Touch - almost as if I need to push buttons and need a thicker phone (I have above average size hands). I have an extended battery on my BB and can't stand how it feels without it (too thin and flimsy). Maybe I can get a case or extended batt for the E4GT to solve that issue. The iPhone seemed a bit more user friendly as well but the salesperson said if I'm a Google person, the E4GT will sync seamlessly - and I am.

If you have this many email account you would do better with the Photon. This phone will drain like crazy with those many accounts.. Youve been warned about this phone my friend..

studentdoctor

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Wait until Samsung fixes the many problems associated with this product. Google it and its easy to see that its another Samsung fail without any updates in sight.

It seems like the only significant issue is the LOS - which is a hit or miss depending on the phone. The sales rep said she's had some of those and exchanged them.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
It seems like the only significant issue is the LOS - which is a hit or miss depending on the phone. The sales rep said she's had some of those and exchanged them.

The phone has gets poor reception compared to any other phone. Poor reception coming from an antenna that Samsung also used in the failed Nexus S..I don't have to fabricate the facts are right here on the web. Why would Sammy use the same antennas that they used in a product at had recieved many complaints? Its because they DONT CARE about the customers after they purchase the product and this shows way back from the captivate and all the other original Galaxy S phones. They got gingerbread a year after others had got it. The captivate still has 2.2. If the phone gets poor reception this effects that overall performance of what a SMARTPHONE is used for..mainly the web!!

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Also, having a phone that gets poor signal will effect GPS, Video Streaming and most importantly battery life

qfnol31

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
If you have this many email account you would do better with the Photon. This phone will drain like crazy with those many accounts.. Youve been warned about this phone my friend..

I have two gmail accounts set to the normal push setting, and I lose about one to two percent per hour on standby 3G signal.

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I have two gmail accounts and an exchange account all pushing without any issues. I usually end up at about 55-60% battery at the end of the day. I haven't had any of the issues people have complained about as far as LOS.

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

davis.rob

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

When I first got my E4GT it constantly felt like it was going to slip out my hands ... almost too light and thin combined with a really slick plastic edge. I got a TPU case for it and it made a world of difference for me ... *much* better.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
When I first got my E4GT it constantly felt like it was going to slip out my hands ... almost too light and thin combined with a really slick plastic edge. I got a TPU case for it and it made a world of difference for me ... *much* better.

I totally agree. The simple, cheap, yet very effective TPU case adds just the right amount of girth and anti-slippage in my opinion. Not to mention the matte black looks great. My only beef with the case is the volume button cover, but it's minor, and there are ways around it if I really wanted to do it.

studentdoctor

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

That's really good to know - I thought I was the only one who felt weird holding that in my hands! I'm pretty sure I'll pick up the phone today or this weekend. I've been looking for something like that case that also works as an external battery, but it seems that they do not work on our model of the Galaxy S II. Power Pack for Samsung Galaxy SII

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89