I Found an Epic 4G Touch Extended Battery & Protective Case Combo

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: I Found an Epic 4G Touch Extended Battery & Protective Case C

Pics attached.
The only thing i screwed up on was the top right corner. I pulled on a piece of rubber i cut and it ripped the front part. So i completely tore it off. Other then that its ugly but works.
Oh and for some odd reason at the bottom in the middle where the 4 buttons are, theres a little bit of a gap.
That might be from me stretching and pulling when i was modifying it.

EDIT upon further examination, it seems the USB port inside is a tad bit pushed forward on our devices, this is causing the bottom to buldge up.
I went in and shaved some of the rubber and it helped. Will do more tomorrow..

Awesome pictures!! Those pics in the beginning of this post would have saved everyone a lot of
time :). Judging on the looks of that case, i think i will have to pass. Hopefully someone else is looking for something exactly like this.

Wise-Wright

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

wolfiered1, it really comes down to preference. However, I have never been a fan of carrying a spare battery because I personally don't want the inconvenience of removing a case (to gain access to battery compartment) and then having to replace it. With this case, I can basically charge by phone battery as well as the battery pack in one convenient setting (lasting me easily for the entire day). And that in itself makes it worth the extra funds for me. But again, this is just simply preference.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
This case with battery sure does trap the heat in. That's something I didn't take into consideration earlier.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

I stopped by 2 ATT stores and finally got one.
Here are my thoughts.
I had to cut a new hold just above the volume keys, this is a 2nd mic used for noise canceling.
I had to cut a new hold for the headset jack on the top of the unit.
I had to cut a new hold a the bottom of the unit for the external speaker. What saves this is the fact that the Epic Touch is loud compared to other smart phones. The audio is a tad bit muffled but i compared it to my EVO 3D and guess what, with the audio being muffled a bit its still LOUDER then the EVO 3D. LOL Gotta love it.
I also had to widen the hold at the bottom for the primary microphone. As the OP pointed out this hole is pretty close to the skyrocket. But thats about all that matched up.
What i like about it -
1. Extra battery.
2. Soft gel case in case i drop it.
3. by using a different micro usb port, i now save wear and tear on the devices micro usb port.

Now i just need to find a big enough case / pouch i can wear on my belt and i will be happy.

is it worth 80 bucks. not sure, but since i love the phone so much i decided to get one. The value will depend on the individual buyer.

My case doesnt look pretty with all of the extra holes i had to make, but damn its functional.

You may be able to save some cutting, I think the hole over the volume rocker is a lanyard strap. Unless you use a lanyard of course!

Wise-Wright

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

What's interesting is the only adjustment I have made to this case was expanding the mic hole by just a mm and everything else has been working find. I turn it on and off by the button on the case, I adjust the volume by the buttons on the case, and although the speaker is covered, I still have good quality sound. Now, as it pertains to the headphone jack, I use a bluetooth and this is not a factor for me. And so far, I am noticing that it is more than doubling my talk time (The Seidio gave me about 1.5 between sometimes 2x extra talk time but this device is appearing to be 2.5 X although it claims 2X). And it has not run hot on me at all. For some reason, it just has worked completely flawlessly for me. I really don't think it is necessary to cut as many holes. I would advice trying the case and see what works for you (as IAmSixNine did) and what doesn't. You more than likely will be pleasantly surprise. Thanks again!!!

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

From an engineering perspective, most devices have a 2nd mic for noise canceling.
Theres a great wiki explination but i never book marked it so i cant reference it now. sorry.
BUT that hole above the volume keys should be the for that purpose. What ever makes you happy.
If your phone is working great with it covered then who am i to argue. LOL
Just as long as YOUR happy with it is all that matters.

2ndaccord

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
The epic unfortunately only has one mic. The hole above the volume buttons is for a lanyard.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Damn It your absolutely right 2ndaccord Thank You.
Im man enough to admit when i am wrong. (hold on while i mark this down on my calendar) Im allowed 2 mistakes a year. LOL

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

Simple answer for all of this. On amazon I got a 3800 mah extended battery and back cover for my epic 4g touch. I got a gel case at the sprint store and cut out the back. VOILA! Tons of time for talk, playing and strreaming data with (1) 3800

thestumblingblock

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site

Ya'll aren't gonna believe this... you're both right. I just found this out today.

After reading this confusing page, I've hit three AT&T stores with my Sprint Galaxy S II wanting to ask if I could take their powerskin out of the box and see if it fit. None of them carried it. At Best Buy as well, two mall AT&T stores, and one AT&T store outside of a strip mall, the same was true. I was about to give up. In all cases, I took my Galaxy out of the case, held it up to the Galaxy S II Skyrocket they had, and kept thinking, yep... these are two completely different phones. Not similar at all. But this thread insists the Powerskin will fit, so I wanted to check it out even still, and considered risking $50 at Amazon. But juuuuust didn't trust it yet.

Today I was on my way somewhere and had time to kill. I noticed an AT&T store. I figured, WTF, let's try one more time. I go in, and while I'm waiting for someone to help me so I could ask if they carried the Powerskin, there was the Skyrocket. And... holy cow, it's exactly like MINE! For some reason all the other Skyrockets I looked at were entirely different, but here I was, at an AT&T store, and their Skyrocket was... well okay, a little different, but completely different than the Skyrocket at all those other stores, and so very very similar to mine. And they did carry the Powerskin, and it did fit my Sprint Galaxy S II.

So you're all right. This is weird as can be, but it turns out different AT&T dealers have one of two very different models of phones called the Galaxy S II Skyrocket. That is why we've all been confused here, with some of you saying it's the same and some of you saying it's not. Keep looking and eventually you might discover the same thing I did. Find an AT&T store with one like your Sprint phone and you'll probably find they carry the Powerskin, while others do not.

My conclusion, therefore, is that they do not make a Powerskin for that smaller other version at all. So if you see a Powerskin for the AT&T Skyrocket, it will fit your Sprint Galaxy S II, so it's a safe purchase. I'm ordering mine now for $50 instead of $80 in the store, and have every confidence it'll fit based on what I did in the store.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

You might be confusing the Samsung Galaxy S II with the Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket.
They look alike.

dondlab

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

Here is one way to solve the dilemma. I have included contact info for Power-Skin with this post. I will be calling in the morning and doing my best to compel them to release a version for the Sprint branded phone. The current lack of a specific battery/case has nothing to do with Sprint. The case manufacturer has fo decide if the market is viable, which it certainly seems to be. If we pass this on and start pushing we might just get this accomplished. Also, when you connect the battery in the case to the phone it does increase the capacity in the aggregate, so in effect you get the same result as if it was one larger battery. So let's all bother the hell out of Power-Skin. As the man says, Get-er-done!

General Questions
Tel. (866) 972-5769
Fax. (209) 578-9912

Technical Support, Returns & Exchanges
Tel. (866) 972-5769
Fax. (209) 578-9912
Contact Form
Media
Jennifer Reiss
Max Borges Agency
(305) 374-4404 x 144

Sales
David Becker
(310) 415-0433

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I charge my phone every night..... and it last about 9 to 10 hours (with bluetooth and GPS on the whole day). At the end of those hours, I return to my car and drive home (using car charger).

I've lived through the EVO battery crisis....the S2 is a dream compared to that.

Reactions: Wicell

dondlab

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

Just spoke to David Becker, sales manager at Power-Skin. He advised that they ARE going to release a specific product for the Samsung Epic 4G Touch and it is scheduled to be available in March of this year. Can be ordered direct or thru Amazon. Ain't capitalism great?!

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

I sure hope they have some software improvement.
I picked up one of the Skyrocket ones to test out and was really NOT impressed.
It would charge a battery that is 40% up to about 80%. Maybe there is softare internall that i am not aware of that made it work better with the Skyrocket. That or i got a DUD unit..

Either way i tried it for a week and felt it wasnt worth the extra heat it creates, the extra weight and size.
I did like the fact that it was a good soft case to protect it from falls, and i liked the fact i wasnt putting extra wear and tear on the phones micro usb port.

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

I posted this over on a different extended battery thread, but figured I would post on this thread, too, in case people didn't read the other one:

"I just wanted to let ya'll know I bought the Trexcell 3800mah batt about 2 weeks ago. It comes with the back cover, but they ALSO just custom-made a black TPU case for it. I ordered it on Tuesday and should be here next week. But in the meantime, I've been using my standard TPU case and I just cut out a section in the back.

For people like me, who use their phones only sporadically throughout the day, texts here and there, don't use GPS, 4G, or Bluetooth rarely, and have brightness set to Automatic, this batt is a godsend. It's awesome only having to charge every 3-4 days. I have wifi on when I'm home, and turn it off when I go to work. I'm still conditioning the battery, so it will get better and better with time. In case you're wondering, the extended cover only adds about 3.5mm to the outside of the phone. Even with the battery, it's still thinner than my Samsung Intercept I was using before.

This is just info from my experience....take it or leave it. If you just have snide remarks, keep'em to yourself. I agree, the case looks unattractive now with my cutting, but the custom TPU case from Trexcell will be nice once I get it. I'm sure there are users out there like me though, who love Android and the mfr's for allowing batt changes and aren't power users. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me."

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

I posted here before about the 3800 mah extended battery. I got it also from Trexcell on Amazon.com. It's wonderful and yes, Trexcell just came out with an extended tpu case which is incredible protection. I used a leather case by Reiko, which fits the extended batter epic 4g touch. I also found (from Seidio and also one at Best Buy) a belt clip holster that holds my extended battery phone, so there are now alternatives out there. :)

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

I have a 4000 mah extended battery and the back from the Trexcell battery cover might fit it. The battery is by seidio and is for my Evo 3d. I wonder if it would fit in my epic 4g touch and what would the consequences be? Anyone?:)

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

I have a 4000 mah extended battery and the back from the Trexcell battery cover might fit it. The battery is by seidio and is for my Evo 3d. I wonder if it would fit in my epic 4g touch and what would the consequences be? Anyone?:)

Couldn't tell you, sorry. I use the Trexcell 3800mah and the AceSoft 3920mah interchangeably, and they both work great. The Trexcell TPU case is tits, too, as it is actually a bit lower profile on the front than the white TPU case I had on before. Im still breaking in the batteries, but with my use I get about 4-5 days on a single charge. With my wall charger I bought from eBay, I never have to worry about plugging the phone in....I always have a spare battery full up and ready to swap. This phone is the best investment I've made in a long time. It's incredible. I actually can't wait to see what the GSIII is like :).