Share your EL29 update experience here!!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, sfhub, but I'm a little confused.
I rooted my phone through your EK02 auto program (rooted only). That means I can use this to go to EL29 (ota update) + root my phone correct? Also, this should get rid of all the update notices, right?

Sorry about these dumb questions, but I really have no experience with rooting, except by using your last program (A very big thank you by the way!).

You are correct. Follow the steps in the link sfhub just posted and it will be just like taking the OTA update, except you will still have root.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

kgzero

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys! And just to be clear (sorry), I don't have to do anything to the phone before starting the process that sfhub has laid out, correct?

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I started the procedure that sfhub created. When I used the autoroot compliance checker. I got SHA1FAIL: zimage/kernel.

How is it I changed the kernel but can't remember doing so? I must be an idiot. :-[

I guess I need to flash the stock kernel....

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, sfhub, but I'm a little confused.
I rooted my phone through your EK02 auto program (rooted only). That means I can use this to go to EL29 (ota update) + root my phone correct? Also, this should get rid of all the update notices, right?

Sorry about these dumb questions, but I really have no experience with rooting, except by using your last program (A very big thank you by the way!).
Yes, as mentioned by jaywill, that is correct.

Cruz372

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Well i just did update last night...i dont seem to have a issue w/it..so far...and as far as battery life is concerned...i havent noticed any difference yet...if i do notice anything..i will post it

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys! And just to be clear (sorry), I don't have to do anything to the phone before starting the process that sfhub has laid out, correct?

The update method sfhub posted uses CWM recovery to flash, so you would need to use his auto-root tool to install CWM if you have not already done so.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I started the procedure that sfhub created. When I used the autoroot compliance checker. I got SHA1FAIL: zimage/kernel.

How is it I changed the kernel but can't remember doing so? I must be an idiot. :-[

I guess I need to flash the stock kernel....

sfhub posted this in his thread ...

2) [Optional] Run the EK02->EL29 OTA Compliance Check
Use the Auto Root Package (Option D - OTA Compliance Check EK02->EL29) to see if your EK02 ROM is 100% stock.
If any errors show up, please fix BEFORE applying this OTA update.
The only exception is kernel/zImage does not need to match EK02 (so you can ignore the SHA1FAIL for kernel/zImage)

So as long as your ROM doesn't fail the check you can use his CWM method to apply your update.

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Kipdurran to me the wallpaper scrolling was important. I had it on my EVO 4G, lost it on my Evo 3D, and got it back on the Epic 4G Touch. I miss that feature as when bored (and I have some great wallpapers) I would scroll them side to side and see beautiful pictures. My daughter researched it and found it was taken off deliberately due to a lawsuit over it (wouldn't be surprised if apple sued). :(

Sideman7

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
That's not the issue, when you are already in an autofitted page and scroll down, it won't lock only to the y axis as it did in the past. Now it moves in the x axis as well.

Wow, this is seriously annoying... It feels like the browser (or myself) just got stupid... Please tell me there is some way to fix this...

Also, I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet, but it appears that this update also borks the network location updates... (So that apps like weather programs which update based solely on tower location don't work). I did find a fix for this over on XDA (by rolling back to and older version of google.android.location.apk), but this is some base functionality for them to screw up...

It seems like these updates are more to cover their legal behind than to actually fix stuff...

Reactions: Sapient

kilen71

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My update came through this morning. So far so good. The only problem I see is that the apps that I have moved to SD card (using Applications > Manage Applications) are not showing up in the Market under "My Apps." They show up down at the bottom of the list in the "Not Installed" category. I've confirmed the apps are actually installed, and when I select one of them under "My Apps, Not Installed," the only option is "Open." Not "Install or Update." Hopefully this won't screw up getting updates for these apps.

Anyone else experience this?

Reactions: sailon314

the gator

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My update came through this morning. So far so good. The only problem I see is that the apps that I have moved to SD card (using Applications > Manage Applications) are not showing up in the Market under "My Apps." They show up down at the bottom of the list in the "Not Installed" category. I've confirmed the apps are actually installed, and when I select one of them under "My Apps, Not Installed," the only option is "Open." Not "Install or Update." Hopefully this won't screw up getting updates for these apps.

Anyone else experience this?

I had that problem before the update, spoke to Google and it is a known issue they are working on, mine are back to normal.

kipdurran

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Kipdurran to me the wallpaper scrolling was important. I had it on my EVO 4G, lost it on my Evo 3D, and got it back on the Epic 4G Touch. I miss that feature as when bored (and I have some great wallpapers) I would scroll them side to side and see beautiful pictures. My daughter researched it and found it was taken off deliberately due to a lawsuit over it (wouldn't be surprised if apple sued). :(

I didn't know that iPhones had scrolling wallpaper. I am definitely bummed because I have some scrolling live wallpapers that I paid for and now really can't use. Will Apple reimburse me for that?