Share your EL29 update experience here!!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Okay guys. Let's take a step back and chill a bit. We're all on the same team here. Soap may have a bit of an inflammatory posting style, but it's probably because he's fired up about this. It doesn't make him a liar and it certainly doesn't make him a hater.

I personally buy his claims that he spoke to someone at Samsung that offered a solution that has worked for him and others. It's all about reaching the right person who happens to be "in the know", and it may not always be common knowledge on the internet. There was a guy over at XDA that was having huge problems with LOS. He finally reached someone at Samsung that offered to push the EK02 update to his phone alone, to see if it would help. At that moment, it was likely that he was the only retail Sprint customer in the country that had the EK02 firmware on his phone. In fact, the guys at XDA spent all night trying to help him get the update pulled off his phone so the development community could have it.

As far as memos flying around Samsung about a faulty update and pulling it, I have a feeling that was some lip service Soap received. It's very possible that a memo went out on how to deal with service calls on the update, but Samsung can't just "pull" an update. It has already been pushed out to the Google "GOTA" servers, and as such already pushed to most customer phones. The only thing Samsung could do was issue a rollback or a patch fix. They've obviously decided that a rollback wasn't necessary, but I'd bet some kind of fix is on the way. A fix for what is still a question though.

Reactions: dtm_stretch

Nozzles Brewin

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Okay guys. Let's take a step back and chill a bit. We're all on the same team here. Soap may have a bit of an inflammatory posting style, but it's probably because he's fired up about this. It doesn't make him a liar and it certainly doesn't make him a hater.

I personally buy his claims that he spoke to someone at Samsung that offered a solution that has worked for him and others. It's all about reaching the right person who happens to be "in the know", and it may not always be common knowledge on the internet. There was a guy over at XDA that was having huge problems with LOS. He finally reached someone at Samsung that offered to push the EK02 update to his phone alone, to see if it would help. At that moment, it was likely that he was the only retail Sprint customer in the country that had the EK02 firmware on his phone. In fact, the guys at XDA spent all night trying to help him get the update pulled off his phone so the development community could have it.

As far as memos flying around Samsung about a faulty update and pulling it, I have a feeling that was some lip service Soap received. It's very possible that a memo went out on how to deal with service calls on the update, but Samsung can't just "pull" an update. It has already been pushed out to the Google "GOTA" servers, and as such already pushed to most customer phones. The only thing Samsung could do was issue a rollback or a patch fix. They've obviously decided that a rollback wasn't necessary, but I'd bet some kind of fix is on the way. A fix for what is still a question though.

Well said

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Thank you Jay. I swear this Samsung supervisor told me they pulled the update. Maybe he meant "they stopped pushing it out" but this was how he said it to me. I called Sprint that same day. Samsung said interoffice memos were flying around to get something out to patch all the errors in EL29. If Dirk chooses not to believe me that's fine as I couldn't care less. I got a nice supervisor on the phone that told me all this as I threatened a LAWSUIT for ruining a perfectly new phone. Whatever his reasons for saying this to me, he said it and the fix he gave me WORKED for those that chose to use it like myself. :) (I'm a she, lol).

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Wow. Just..........wow. You call them up and threaten a LAWSUIT and they miraculously tell you things that are just what you want to hear; a story which is now suddenly, possibly, different than what you've been proclaiming as FACT all this time. I guess that explains why you're the only person in the world in possession of this secret knowledge. "Ruined" your phone?! REALLY? It just burst into flames and murdered your house pets after the update? (I'm genuinely surprised that you're female because the level of hyperbolic rage you exhibit is typically found in the dumbest of 'roid-raging guys. Kudos for that, I suppose. Girl power!)

Other than my wallpapers not scrolling, I haven't seen any problems with my update and the largest genuine problem I was having with my phone - Bluetooth refusing to connect to Sync almost half the time, dropping off, forcing me to cycle BT or reboot while driving - has been cured. The one time in the past two weeks I noticed it wasn't connected, pressing the phone button on my steering wheel connected it just fine.

burrrton

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, EL29 stopped the wallpaper from scrolling ever so slightly, but other than that, a great update.

And yeah, I doubt a significant act like pulling an update would be communicated to exactly one user on the planet.

N8TJG

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, I've had my SII for four days now and several times a day I receive the New Update for EL29. I decided to take the plunge this morning and do the update. The phone restarted like it said, but then a box appeared and said "No Firmware Updates Available" or something to like it. About phone now says EL29 so I guess it installed it.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
a box appeared and said "No Firmware Updates Available" or something to like it. About phone now says EL29 so I guess it installed it.
thats exactly what my phone did, hasnt been the same since, now my locations are all over the place, the gps is basically useless now etc. etc.........

N8TJG

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
thats exactly what my phone did, hasnt been the same since, now my locations are all over the place, the gps is basically useless now etc. etc.........

So far I haven't had any problems with my phone since the update. GPS seems to be right on, though I've only used it for Gasbuddy. I'll see how it goes the rest of the weekend, but at least for me, the only "negative" I see is the wallpaper issue, and that's not a bid deal for me.

androidpirate

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Here's a issue I noticed just recently with this update. The gps seems to take a lot longer to lock on or doesn't lock on at all. Using gps status, it either sees 1 satellite or none (the norm is 7 to 8) during this time. A restart seems to fix the issue and gps again shows 7/8 satellites.

Actually thinking about this, this isn't the only issue with the radios. 3g connection doesn't seem to come back after I turn off 4G. I see the bars being full but there's no 3g symbol on the taskbar. The data connection basically dies requiring a restart to get it working again (cycling airplane mode doesn't help).

Never had these issues on the previous updates.

jeff1974w

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
i just got my E4GT 2 days ago NIB from ebay.
out of the box, it was fast, no problems at all.
yesterday i get a notification that a ota is available, so i download it.
now i have NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS!:'(

how do i remove the update and go back to what was on the phone before.
yes, ive searched the web, and the forum

androidpirate

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
i just got my E4GT 2 days ago NIB from ebay.
out of the box, it was fast, no problems at all.
yesterday i get a notification that a ota is available, so i download it.
now i have NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS!:'(

how do i remove the update and go back to what was on the phone before.
yes, ive searched the web, and the forum

The only solution is to root and flash an older rom.

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, I refused to update the my phone. However, after weeks of refusing the update, the notification went away but now i get the voicemail update notification constantly. If I update my voicemail, would it update to the El29?

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Well, I refused to update the my phone. However, after weeks of refusing the update, the notification went away but now i get the voicemail update notification constantly. If I update my voicemail, would it update to the El29?

You should be fine to just update the voice mail.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Mr_Owl

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Soap4Me's solution seemed to work for me, I was hesitant at first, but got tired of the nagging download message, so decided to give it a try. Thanks, Soap4Me!
Also, here's a link to an article about Samsung's patent dispute with Apple,...I guess they really is forcing customers to remove the scrolling wallpapers because of Apple's lawsuit, and not because of a conspiracy to get people to buy a newer phone -> http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/24/netherlands-judge-rules-that-samsung-galaxy-s-s-ii-violate-appl/

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
For what its worth. I had issues with the EL29 update but since i am rooted stock i flashed the FB27 modem and my device seems to be running well.

ecigg

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I have issues with WIFI. It will only stay connected for about 5 minutes. Doesn't do this on my PC. Maybe it has something to do with me not broadcasting my SSID?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I have issues with WIFI. It will only stay connected for about 5 minutes. Doesn't do this on my PC. Maybe it has something to do with me not broadcasting my SSID?

Is your wifi set to never sleep? If not, it should be. If it's not set this way, change it and see if the disconnects continue.

Eric16

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I hope ppl see this I dont wanna make a new thread for this topic lol. Anybody know of a app since its been a few months as to get scrollable wallpapers. Im using Go Launcher and I know if you have a picture as the wallpaper it will scroll, but Im wanting a different picture each screen as Im obsessed with this screen I seen mycolorscreen website and you have to use multipicture live wallpaper to have that set up and obviously EL29 stops that.