Share your EL29 update experience here!!

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
So they can force the update on you? I've skipped all the updates from the release of the phone. I like the bounce and the scrolling wallpaper. :)

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
It could be that you are correct about the 24 meg because I saw a lot of 3G activity and 24 meg seems more reasonable then 248 but there still is no way this was not pre-loaded before he update began because there is no way I could have got 24 meg. in 2 or 3 min.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It could be that you are correct about the 24 meg because I saw a lot of 3G activity and 24 meg seems more reasonable then 248 but there still is no way this was not pre-loaded before he update began because there is no way I could have got 24 meg. in 2 or 3 min.
The way it works is there are 2 relevant processes for updates.

There is one process that periodically sends your version info to Google and asks if there is a newer update. If so, it will download in the background without telling you and put the update in /cache. During this time you'll notice your phone is a little slower, the data indicators are always on, and your battery life will be worse.

When it is done downloading, it switches to a different "nag" process. This will just keep nagging you until you run or get rid of the update. It is separate from the first process. Even if you stop the first process from checking for updates, the 2nd process will still keep nagging you. If you stop the 2nd process, the first process will still check in periodically and re-download.

So if you really wanted to stop the updates and nagging, you would need to stop both the first and second processes. In practice, if you clear out all the updates and then render the first process neutered, then the 2nd process will aso be neutered because it is only triggered when an update is available and since the first process is neutered, a new update will not be downloaded.

takehiro12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Takehiro reboot phone more than twice a week and you will see it, unfortunately. :) I was the one that told you Webwevers that the new upgrade is searching for the best possible 3G signal it can find and that if you live in a poor Sprint signal area, it drains the battery searching, lol. Garcia, you are right. It's NOT worth upgrading. Samsung was too "cheap" to pay licensing fees to keep the scrolling wallpaper and to keep the way the internet used to scroll. They make TV's, etc. and have tons of money, yet to customers like us they give the short end of the stick. No more Samsung cell phones for me. The Motorola Photon still has scrolling wallpapers, and it's on Sprint also. There are many androids out there. Androids come out with more cell phones than other platorms do. This upgrade took away an important feature and gave us many other problems also. Samsung will be the eventual loser in all of this. :(

Why would I want to reboot more, I don't want to see the update, lol. Totally agree with you Soap4Me about the next phone purchase, I'm hugely disappointed with Samsung and they won't be getting more of my money. Plenty of other fish in the ocean!

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
sfhub I kind of follow what you are saying but how could I have stopped this when I slid the lock screen the message said an update is being installed on your phone and will require about 5 min. and a reboot off it went. For the future how would you have stopped that? The file was alrady in my phone and I had no option to do anything but get updated.

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
ALERT! I found a way for the updates to STOP PUSHING TO PHONE FROM SPRINT. I called Samsung today and found out that OFFICIALLY as of 4 days ago the EL29 update was pulled from Samsung. Sprint is still pushing it. TO STOP THIS Samsung told me how and it worked! When the update appears, with install now, install later, and more. CLICK ON MORE. When that screen pops up telling you about the EL29 bug fix, DO NOT CLICK ON THE BOTTOM WHICH SAYS TO UPDATE AND INSTALL. Instead, leave that MORE page up and PULL THE BATTERY FOR 3 MINUTES. When I rebooted the phone the update is now GONE. Bless you Samsung for telling me how to get rid of the pesky updating pushes from SPRINT over a faulty EL29 update that SAMSUNG OFFICIALLY PULLED!

Reactions: LoveMyPhone

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
soap4me,

I just tried the Samsung instructions and it worked. The update stopped pushing to my phone, and I get to keep the bounce and the scrolling wallpaper. :)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ALERT! I found a way for the updates to STOP PUSHING TO PHONE FROM SPRINT. I called Samsung today and found out that OFFICIALLY as of 4 days ago the EL29 update was pulled from Samsung. Sprint is still pushing it. TO STOP THIS Samsung told me how and it worked! When the update appears, with install now, install later, and more. CLICK ON MORE. When that screen pops up telling you about the EL29 bug fix, DO NOT CLICK ON THE BOTTOM WHICH SAYS TO UPDATE AND INSTALL. Instead, leave that MORE page up and PULL THE BATTERY FOR 3 MINUTES. When I rebooted the phone the update is now GONE. Bless you Samsung for telling me how to get rid of the pesky updating pushes from SPRINT over a faulty EL29 update that SAMSUNG OFFICIALLY PULLED!
Yes that will stop process #2, but process #1 would have downloaded it again in around a week. If Samsung really pulled the update, then process #1 won't have anything to download and effectively you have stopped the update until the next one.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
sfhub I kind of follow what you are saying but how could I have stopped this when I slid the lock screen the message said an update is being installed on your phone and will require about 5 min. and a reboot off it went. For the future how would you have stopped that? The file was alrady in my phone and I had no option to do anything but get updated.
It only auto installs if you try to ignore it too many times. I have CWM installed, so I just choose to install it right away and have it fail the integrity check. This stops it from bugging me until process #1 downloads the update again in about a week. To stop process #1, I change my version info to match the version it is trying to download.

takehiro12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

Good work!!! :)

takehiro12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone seen official word from Samsung that they have pulled the EL29 update, I would love to see this in writing. If it's true, it feels like a major victory! :D

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
When I first got my epic, everything worked fine and dandy, but that first update screwed up my 3g. Now they want to force us to update again? No thank you.

Question: I have been doing some research on the whole update, but could not find conclusive evidence of its purpose. Some say is because of apple and others say to fix some bugs. Do you guys know the actual reason for it? Is it an android thing or samsung?

LoveMyPhone

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site

I did this last night and so far no update reminders bugging me!!! :D

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Takehiro SAMSUNG OFFICIALLY PULLED the EL29 update. Two reps and a supervisor confirmed this. Just because Sprint didn't comply yet is Sprint's problem. If you read what I wrote before, you will see how to stop the sprint updates and it WORKS! REMEMBER when you click on NOTES on the INSTALL feature, don't click on the bottom to install. Just pull the battery and sprint's update will disappear. This took me one hour of talking to Samsung to get this info and I bless them for it. HOWEVER, IF YOU SEE AN UPGRADE TO THE MEDIA HUB IN THE ANDROID MARKET DO NOT UPDATE. LET IT BE. If you update it, it requires the EL29 update. Leave the update sit in Android Market for the Media Hub PLEASE! Samsung will not be releasing any MEMO Takehiro about pulling their faulty update. They said interoffice memos are flying all over Samsung Offices about this faulty update and how to resolve it. Until Sprint catches up and pulls the faulty EL29 update also, PLEASE FOLLOW PROCEDURES I listed above from Samsung. (Pssst, one Sprint tech told me about that method of clicking on Notes on the update box and pulling the battery also, lol).

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
sfhub you are wrong. When the person swiped away the lock screen she may have inadvertantly touched the install screen that is under the lock screen, lying in wait. Sprint and Samung assured me that doing the method I described twice already would kill the update. By going to the "more" choice it's almost (stressing almost) tricking the phone to thinking you downloaded EL29 according to the manufacturers. Again do NOT update the Media Hub for now through Android Market.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Lol. Sfhub is very likely a lot of things, but wrong is rarely one of them when it comes to this stuff.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred